Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Against All Odds  by Estelle

Disclaimer, Notes and Acknowledgements: Please refer to Chapter 1

o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o

Chapter 6 – On The Road Again

The trio filed into the dining hall and settled down at the long table. Elrond had instructed a servant to inform Celboril of his son’s and the elf prince’s arrival and ask him to prepare some refreshments. The elf lord watched with a hint of amusement as Aragorn fidgeted on the hard wooden chair, trying to find a comfortable position.

“Do you require a cushion?” the older elf inquired with a straight face.

“Pardon me?” Aragorn raised an eyebrow at his father in confusion.

“A cushion, for you to sit on,” Elrond explained.

Realizing that he had just gotten teased by his father, the young man blushed fiercely and glared at Legolas as the prince choked on the water that he was drinking.

Setting down his cup, Legolas coughed to hide a chuckle, but failed miserably. It looked like he didn’t have to mention the incident for them to remember it after all.

Judging by the look on Aragorn’s face, the human would have pounced on Legolas and throttled him on the spot if not for Elrond’s presence, and for that the elf was eternally thankful. He was not in the mood to fight an extremely agitated ranger. Much to his relief, Celboril chose this time to appear with a tray of food. The scent of freshly baked bread mixed with the pungent smell of mushroom soup filled the air and the two friends immediately forwent their staring contest and turned their attention to their meal.

Picking up a piece of bread, Legolas broke it in half and offered one piece to Aragorn as a sign of truce. The human accepted it and the two friends exchanged a small smile. As they ate, Elrond listened to their interesting tale of the various mishaps and pranks they had pulled while in Mirkwood for the past five months.

“I think if you hadn’t requested my return, King Thranduil would have thrown me out of his realm,” Aragorn said over a mouthful of bread.

“Father would not have done that!” Legolas argued in his father’s defense, but deep inside his heart, he knew that it could very well have been a possibility.

Between the two of them, they had pulled enough pranks to last the King his entire lifetime, not that he did not enjoy seeing their victims with pink and green hair or running around the palace half naked swearing to hang the two of them by their ankles from the nearest tree. He didn't mind much...as long as they left him out of it. Thranduil had decided that Aragorn was a bad influence to his son who was once so well disciplined, but ever since the human entered his son's life, Legolas had changed from a timid and quiet elfling into a fierce, self-proclaimed protector of Isildur's Heir. The human and his son had bonded over the years, and nothing in Middle Earth could break them apart.

Finishing the last of his bread, Legolas leaned back on his chair and let out a small yawn. He yearned for rest, but a small corner of his mind would not allow him to forget the fact that Elladan and Elrohir did not return from their hunting trip on schedule. Not that the twins were never late, but this time was different. He felt that something was amiss. Pushing his chair back reluctantly, the elf prince stood slowly from the table. He knew that if he wanted to leave, he would need to do it soon, before his weariness overcame his decision.

Elrond and Aragorn got to their feet when Legolas vacated his seat, knowing exactly what the elf was planning on doing next. The elf lord rested his hand lightly on his son’s shoulder, a gesture of silent blessing.

“We’ll be fine, and I’m sure Elladan and Elrohir will be too.” Aragorn nodded and gave his father a small smile. “We will be home to create havoc…” the ranger trailed off when the front door swung open, and Erestor strode hurriedly towards Elrond. A deep frown creased his usually calm features.

Turning towards his advisor, Elrond raised a brow in question. “What is it Erestor?”

“My Lord,” the dark-haired elf greeted the elf lord quickly, “the horses Elladan and Elrohir took have returned… without their riders. I fear something has happened!”

The words rushed out of the advisor, and Elrond felt his heart sink at the news. Legolas had been right in wanting to go after them, but Elrond feared that it might already be too late.

“We will find them. The horses can take us to where they were last seen.” Legolas moved beside Elrond and gave the older elf a gentle squeeze on the forearm. “We can track them from there.”

“Please bring them back.” The elf lord heaved a sigh and placed his other hand on top of the elf prince’s.

Legolas gave a small nod and released his grip. Turning around, he made his way briskly towards the front door, where the two horses were still waiting impatiently in the courtyard. Aragorn gave his father a quick hug and followed the elf prince swiftly, eager to begin their search.

By the time Aragorn reached the courtyard, Legolas was already mounted and whispering gently to the beast. Iarephel tossed her head with a soft nicker, understanding that the elf wanted her to take them to her previous master's location. Legolas stroked the mare’s silky mane as Aragorn mounted Alquamor. The two friends exchanged a worried glance and urged their horses into a fast canter, directing the beasts into the forest once again.

Elrond and Erestor stood at the entrance to the Last Homely House and watched Aragorn and Legolas ride out. The elf lord couldn’t help but feel guilty sending them out again so soon after their long journey from Mirkwood, but those two were the best trackers he had, and if anyone could find his missing sons, those two could. Letting out a long sigh, Elrond turned and made his way back into the house, with Erestor following closely beside him.

“Remind me to confine all of them to the house for the rest of the year when they get home. I have had enough excitement this year to last me the next five.” Although Elrond tried to make light of the situation, his heart was filled with dread and anxiety, and he could not shake the feeling that something bad was about to happen.

Erestor followed his lord into the Hall of Fire and stood quietly beside a chair, as Elrond sank into it, burying his face in his hands. The advisor could see that, despite the elf lord’s efforts to remain calm, his hands shook ever so slightly. He moved closer to the Lord of Imladris and reached out with his hand, patting Elrond’s shoulder lightly, showing his support as well as comforting him.

Elrond lowered his hands and smiled softly at the gesture. Motioning Erestor towards the chair adjacent to the one he was currently occupying, the elf lord invited the advisor to join him. “Sit with me for a while, Erestor.”

The tall elf nodded and in a few quick steps, he reached the large chair and settled down into it. He wanted to tell Elrond not to worry and everything would be all right, but he knew that he would be lying. So instead of speaking, the advisor sat with Elrond in awkward silence. The only sound in the room was the crackling of the burning wood in the fireplace and the soft sighs from the elf lord. For an hour they sat staring blankly at the fire. Erestor stole glances at Elrond every few minutes, but was rewarded with a vacant look. The elf lord was still in shock from receiving the news. Elven horses did not abandon their riders and return home by themselves unless asked to. But Elladan and Elrohir had no reason to send them home, so Erestor feared the worst.

Elrond sat with his hands folded on his lap. He might look dazed but what he was doing was taking inventory of all the healing herbs he had in store knowing that he would most definitely be needing them. The supplies were sufficient for he had just replenished them the day before and he hoped that he would not need more than what he had.

*****

TBC...





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List