Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Home-coming of Frodo and Samwise  by Eruanna

Chapter V: The Gift of Ilúvatar

On a morn bright and warm as spring days in the Shire of old, Frodo and Sam set out on their last journey together. As the Sun rose golden above the rim of the world far away to the East, the hobbits bade farewell to the little hole beneath the great mallorn, with its round green door and its wonderful gardens, and turned away into the wide realm of Lórien. They took with them no provision, but each carried some few items which he wished to give as gifts at parting.

They walked for some time in peace over the fields, and neither spoke, but they were content simply to walk with one another and to feel the sun upon their faces and smell the airs of spring in Arda Unmarred. Strange to say they felt no sorrow, but a deep peace was in their hearts, and a joy, and they gazed with new wonder on tree and stone, leaf and bud.

After a time they came to the glade in the circle of birches where they had dined with Gandalf what seemed only days ago. And to their wonder they saw that Gandalf awaited them there, and also the Lady Galadriel fair and radiant beside the fountain, and with her the Lord Celeborn and Master Elrond with Celebrían his wife. And they greeted the hobbits with fair voices touched with sorrow, for they knew all that would pass that day, and had come to bid farewell. Then lifting up her hand the Lady said, ‘The time of our parting is nearly come, that shall endure beyond the circles of the world, but ere it comes let us eat and drink together. And it may be that we shall meet again, when all the world is changed, and shall walk together in the new Spring of Arda Re-made in the willow-meads of Tasarinan. But that is long ages hence, and beyond my sight.’

Then Frodo and Sam came and sat again beside the fountain, where there was a goodly feast arrayed, and there was also a fair clear liquor that reminded the hobbits of summer sun and laughter in the days of their youth in the Shire. Frodo for the last time took his cup and turned to face the East, and what words he spoke none heard, but Sam thought that they were different than his wont, and his voice was like that of a man who rejoices to catch afar off a glimpse of the home he has not seen for a long count of years.

When the glad meal was ended the Lady Galadriel took the cup, and she said, ‘Drink now the cup of parting, and may you come beyond the walls of the world to see, it may be, the face of Ilúvatar. But the Elves shall ever remember the Ring-bearers and give them honour, while the thrones of the Valar endure.’ Then she gave the cup to Frodo, and he drank, and Sam also, and a veil came between them and the Elves gathered there, as though they looked across a very great distance and through a curtain of light.

But Frodo turned and said, ‘Fair lords and ladies, ere we depart for ever the circles of this world, some small gifts we would give you, if you will.’ Then he took a white jewel like a star that hung upon a chain about his neck, and coming to the Lady Celebrían he said, ‘This gem the Lady Arwen gave to me ere I left Minas Tirith, to be an aid to me in the memory of darkness endured. But I shall not need it more, for the place to which I depart is the home of all joy. Therefore would I gift it to thee, that it might comfort thee in the memory of Lady Arwen until you should meet again.’ Then Celebrían knelt, and Frodo placed the star on its silver chain about her neck and blessed her.

Then Sam came, and he presented to Master Elrond the Star of the Dúnedain which had been given him by the King Elessar, and which he wore upon his brow when he passed over Sea. ‘I reckon this is rightfully yours in any case,’ he muttered, ‘but I think as old Strider would like for you to have it, and may be even that’s why he gave it to me.’ Elrond smiled and thanked him graciously.

To the Lord Celeborn Frodo gave a small flute of wood carven with images of Lothlórien, which he had made in the days of his dwelling with the Elves. But to the Lady Galadriel Sam returned the little box which the Lady had given him, but he had filled it with the rich earth of his garden at Bag End, and with seeds of many kinds, in memory of the Shire renewed.

They came last of all to Gandalf, and Frodo said, ‘My dear Gandalf, wisest of counselors, I fear I have no gift to give you who are dearest to me.’

But Sam said, ‘Begging your pardon, Mr. Frodo, but I’ve something here. It’s nothing grand, nor anything like what you might deserve, Mr. Gandalf, but mayhap it’s worth something, for remembrance.’ Then he took from the pocket of his jacket two long-stemmed pipes, simply wrought in wood, with wide bowls. ‘I brought these over Sea, and a bit of the best South-farthing weed, too, though I’ve not smoked much since I came here. The one’s mine, and the other’s Mr. Frodo’s as he forgot to take with him.’

‘My dear hobbit,’ said Gandalf, and his smile was like the sun as it burns away the clouds, ‘I thank you indeed. I shall smoke them and think of you until we meet again.’ As he spoke, his eyes were very bright, and Sam thought that he saw a tear unshed. But his face was glad, and he took them each by the hand and blessed them.

‘Well, my brave hobbits,’ he said, ‘now at last we must part, until the world be re-made. But you shall find Joy, and a merry meeting beyond the world, and you shall know the end of all your labours and be glad. Go now and be at peace, and do not fear the darkness, for it must pass to a bright and endless dawn.’ Then he kissed their brows and stepped back. The Elves stood still and silent, a distant sheen in the setting sun, and the last rays of light fell upon the waters of the fountain and turned them all to bright jewels and silver glass.

At last the hobbits turned and went on up the little hill that rose beyond the fountain, and they halted upon its crest where the golden elanor grew thick about their feet. To Sam it seemed that his master shone with a veiled radiance, and a light like stars was on his brow. And he knew not that to the Elves he seemed himself to be filled with light. Then he laughed aloud for the sudden joy that came on him, whence he knew not. But Frodo turned and held aloft his hand in token of farewell, and the rays of the slanting sun glinted through the gap in his fingers. Then with a smile he took Sam’s hand in his, and the two laid themselves down upon the green mound amidst elanor and niphredil and took the Gift of Ilúvatar.

~*~*~

The Elves remained long in that place, gazing upon the hill, but they would not go up on it. But Gandalf came, and looked upon the Ring-bearers Frodo and Samwise as they lay at rest, and he spoke some word, but none perceived it. Returning he bore aloft a fair glass filled with a clear light: Frodo’s phial, the gift of the Lady Galadriel. And as they stood thus gazing upon it, suddenly their hearts were filled with awe and they grew still, for they knew that the Valar were come amongst them.

Then Nienna the Lady of Sorrows went up alone onto the mound, and long she gazed upon the Ring-bearers, and hallowed the mound with her tears, but she smiled also, at which many wondered, for Frodo the halfling was very dear to her.

As she knelt there Yavanna Kementári came, and she sang a song fair with joys and sorrows, and lo! amid the grass of the mound a new flower blossomed; its shape was like a star, but its petals were of a pale blue. And the Elves name that flower Harthad Uluithiad, hope unquenchable, remembering Samwise the gardener.

Then Varda the Star-kindler came and took the glass which Gandalf held, and she said, ‘This shall be a light for all peoples until the coming of the fulfillment of the Great Music.’ The tears of Nienna hallowed the glass, and she sang, and Varda also. The voice of Elentári was like the song of waters beneath the stars when the world was young, but the song of Nienna was sorrowful and filled with the wisdom that comes of suffering. And Varda took the glass and set it in the sky, and she said, ‘Herein I set a new star, that shall be last of stars, and great shall be its light amid the darkness of Arda Marred. And its name shall be Bronwe athan Harthad, endurance beyond hope, that shall shine until the Hope of the world shall come.’

~*~*~

And far away, in the sundered lands of Middle-earth, Elanor of Westmarch walked in her garden by night and breathed the scent carried on the breeze from the far-distant sea, and she heard again the sigh and murmur of the waves on the shores of the world. Then as she stood in silence with wonder she saw a new star arise, shimmering in the high airs. In her heart, she guessed what it meant, though she could not have said how, for she was filled suddenly with a great certainty and a joy whence she knew not. She thought suddenly of her father, and of Mr. Frodo whom she remembered only in her dreams, and smiling she whispered to the sky, ‘Elen síla lúmenn’ omentielvo.’* Then with a last fleeting look at the bright star shinning high in the East, she turned and went in, and closed the round door behind her.


~*~*~*~*~

* Quenya, ‘A star shines on the hour of our meeting.’





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List