Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Iron Flame: The Story of Túrin Turambar  by Nerdanel

SCENE XXVIII

[Scene: the Throne Room of Nargothrond, from scene XV. The throne is empty, but on the chair to the right of the throne Túrin sits, with guards about the hall and behind him. The Captain comes in a moment later, leading two Elves behind him, looking travel-stained.]

Captain: [to Túrin:]

My lord, I found these two Elves on the marches. They name themselves Gelmir and Arminas, of the people of Finarfin.

                [but one of the Elves, looking at Túrin, turns to the Captain]

Gelmir:

                We asked to speak to the lord of Nargothrond.

Captain: [motions towards Túrin]

                This is he.

Gelmir:

                It is to Orodreth, Finarfin’s son, that we would speak.

Túrin: [to the captain:]

                Send for the King right away.

[The Captain shrugs, nods, and leaves the hall. He comes back a moment later, trailing Orodreth, who is sighing.]

Orodreth:

                Was it this urgent? I left the Mormegil to handle all problems –

Captain:

                Your highness, these Elves say they wish to speak only to you –

                [Orodreth sighs as he sits down on his throne]

Orodreth:

                Very well.

                [He looks at the two wandering Elves]

                Who are you? And what do you seek in this land?

                [One of them steps forward again to speak:]

Gelmir:

Lord, we were of the people of Angrod, your brother, and have wandered far since the Battle of Sudden Flame; but of late we have dwelt among Círdan’s following by the Sea. And on a day he called us, and bade us go to you; for Ulmo himself, the Lord of Waters, had appeared to him and warned him of great peril that draws near to Nargothrond.

                [Orodreth looks wary.]

Orodreth: [cautious:]

                Why then do you come hither out of the North? Or perhaps you had other errands also?

                [the other Elf speaks now]

Arminas:

Lord, ever since the Battle of Unnumbered Tears I have sought for Gondolin, the hidden kingdom of Turgon, and I have not found it; and in this search I fear now that I have delayed our errand hither over long. For Círdan sent us along the coast by ship, for secrecy and speed, and we were put shore in Drengist. But among the sea-folk were some that came south in past years as messengers from Turgon, and it seemed to me from their guarded speech that maybe Turgon dwells in the North, and not in the South, as most believe. But we have found neither sign nor rumour of what we sought.

Orodreth:

                Why do you seek Turgon?

Arminas:

                Because it is said that his kingdom shall stand longest against Morgoth.

                [Orodreth looks annoyed]

Orodreth:

Then tarry not in Nargothrond; for here you will hear no news of Turgon. And I need none to teach me that Nargothrond is in peril.

Gelmir:

Be not angered, lord, if we answer your questions with truth. And our wandering from the straight path hither has not been fruitless, for we have passed beyond the reach of your furthest scouts; we have traversed Dor-lómin and all the lands under the eaves of the Shadowy Mountains, and we have spied out the ways of the Enemy. There is a great gathering of Orcs and evil creatures in those regions, and a host is mustering about Sauron’s Isle.

Túrin:

I know it. Your news is stale. If the message of Círdan was to any purpose, it should have come sooner.

Gelmir: [to Orodreth:]

At least, lord, you shall hear the message now. Hear then the words of the Lord of Waters! Thus he spoke to Círdan the Shipwright: “The Evil of the North has defiled the springs of Sirion, and my power withdraws from the fingers of the flowing waters. But a worse thing is yet to come forth. Say therefore to the Lord of Nargothrond: Shut the doors of the fortress and go not abroad. Cast the stones of your pride into the loud river, that the creeping evil may not find the gate.”

                [Orodreth’s face darkens at this, and he turns to Túrin, troubled]

Túrin:

My lord, I mistrust these messengers. What does Círdan know of our wars, who dwell nigh to the Enemy? Let the mariner look to his ships! But if in truth the Lord of Waters would send us counsel, let him speak more plainly. For otherwise it will seem better in our case to muster our strength, and go boldly to meet our foes, ere they come too nigh.

Gelmir: [bows before Orodreth]

                I have spoken as I was bidden lord.

                [He turns away, but Arminas steps forward]

Arminas: [to Túrin:]

            Are you indeed of the House of Hador, as I have heard said?

Túrin: [proudly:]

            Here I am named Agarwaen, the Black Sword of Nargothrond. You deal much, it seems,                in guarded speech, friend Arminas; and it is well that Turgon’s secret is hid from you, or        soon it would be heard in Angband. A man’s name is his own, and should the son of                Húrin learn that you have betrayed him when he would be hid, then may Morgoth take       you and burn out your tongue!

                [Arminas falls back in dismay at Túrin’s black wrath.]

Gelmir: [to Túrin:]

            He shall not betray us, Agarwaen. Are we not in council behind closed doors, where        speech may be plainer? And Arminas asked this thing, I deem, because it is known to all        that dwell by the Sea that Ulmo, the Lord of Waters, has great love for the House of            Hador, and some say that Húrin and Huor his brother came once into the Hidden Realm.

Túrin:

                If that were so, then he would speak of it to none, neither the great nor the less, and least               of all to his son in childhood. Therefore I do not believe that Arminas asked this of me in    hope to learn aught of Turgon. I mistrust such messengers of mischief.

Arminas: [now angry:]

            Save your mistrust! Gelmir mistakes me. I asked because I doubted what here seems      believed: for little indeed do you resemble the kin of Hador, whatever your name.

Túrin:

                And what do you know of them?

Arminas:

                Húrin I have seen, and his fathers before him. And in the wastes of Dor-lómin I met with               Tuor, son of Huor, Húrin’s brother; and he is like his fathers, as you are not.

Túrin:

            That may be, though of Tuor I have heard no word ere now. But if my head be dark and   not golden, of that I am not ashamed. For I am not the first of sons in the likeness of his          mother; and I come through Morwen the Elf-sheen of the House of Bëor and the kindred   of Beren the One-handed.

Arminas:

            I spoke not of the difference between the black and the gold. But others of the House of Hador bear themselves otherwise, and Tuor among them. For they use courtesy, and they            listen to good counsel, holding the Lords of the West in awe. But you, it seems, will take               counsel with your own wisdom, or with your sword only; and you speak haughtily. And I               say to you, Agarwaen Mormegil, that if you do so, other shall be your doom than one of   the Houses of Hador and Bëor might look for.

Túrin: [even angrier now:]

            Other it has ever been. And if, as it seems, I must bear the hate of Morgoth because of the            valour of my father, shall I also endure the taunts and ill-boding of a runagate, though he      claim the kinship of kings? I counsel you: get you back to the safe shores of the Sea.

                [Then, with the shallowest bows possible, Gelmir and Arminas walk briskly out of the    chamber.]

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List