Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Iron Flame: The Story of Túrin Turambar  by Nerdanel

SCENE XIX

[Orodreth is sitting once again in his office, behind large stacks of paper. There is a knock on the door, and Túrin comes in.]

Túrin:

                The Lord Guilin told me you wish to speak with me, your majesty.

Orodreth:

                Yes. Please sit down, Adanedhel.

                [He comes over and sits down on a chair in front of the desk.]

                I want to ask you about your work on the marches.

                [pause]

I just received news that this morning the Head of Security was killed, as you probably already know.

Túrin:

Yes, sire. I was very concerned with his plan of attack. He decided not to send the dogs out first to smell out the Enemy, and went ahead first, rashly, I thought. He was caught in a marsh and surrounded by the Orcs before we could get to him.

Orodreth:

                You went after him?

Túrin:

Yes. He had ordered us to stay back, and I questioned him when he laid out the plans to the rangers; but – he did not seem inclined to listen to my advice.

Orodreth:

                Alas that he did not.

Túrin:

He told us to stay back, but when he did not return, I crept out on my own, telling the troops to stay behind. But by the time I found him, they had already slain him.

[pause]

                The Orc legion is now destroyed.

Orodreth: [sighs]

It is probably for the best, hard-hearted though I may seem. I assigned him the position in haste, over a dozen years ago, when Gwindor did not return from the War.

Túrin:

                You heard no tidings from any of his company?

Orodreth: [shakes his head:]

                No, none returned: save only Gwindor.

                [pause]

When Gwindor did not return, I had quickly to assign one the position and … made a poor choice. The same happened when … when my brother left. Our Captain also went – went with him; he had been aligned with out House for many years, and we knew him well. When they left, I – had not had power for long, and did not know the ways of the Kingdom. So I gave the position to Telemnar, not knowing …

                [he stops]

Túrin: [nods]

I understand, sire. But at least – the Captain is not malicious, and bears no ill-will to any who have – greater knowledge than he.

Orodreth: [aside:]

                Nay, he has not enough wit for that.

                [to Túrin:]

                And did the Security Head bear you ill-will?

Túrin: [shrugs]

                It was minor. He resented my presence and experience, perhaps.

Orodreth:

                Yes. I think the Steward mentioned something like that.

                [sighs]

Perhaps in his foolhardy pride he has learned his lesson. Well, Adanedhel, so I need a new Head of Security. I have consulted the council and they have chosen you unanimously.

                [pause, he looks up at him]

Will you accept? It has been so long since we have had someone competent in charge of the troops.

Túrin: [bows to him]

                I would be honoured, your highness.

Orodreth: [sighs]

                Thank you. That takes a weight off my mind.

                [chuckles suddenly to himself]

The Captain will be delighted to work with you. He has been nearly begging me to put you in the position.

Túrin: [bemused:]

                Indeed?

Orodreth:

                Yes, he says you give him good advice about battle tactics.

Túrin: [shrugs]

                He asks my advice, and so I give it.

Orodreth: [grim smile]

                Well, I am sure he can use your experience.

Túrin:

                … And what does this position involve?

Orodreth:

Oh, well we meet in the Council to discuss our military layout every few months. So we will meet again in a few weeks. You should have your report ready for us them.

Túrin:

                That is well: I have a few suggestions for improvement.

Orodreth: [sighs]

                Well, we need it.

                [he looks up at him]

                You do know about – my brother, King Finrod?

Túrin: [nods]

                Yes, lord.

Orodreth:

He – I have never really … recovered from his departure. It was my fault, partly: I should not have abandoned it.

Túrin: [simply:]

                It was not your fault, lord: the true malefactors have departed from Nargothrond.

Orodreth: [nods]

Partly. I try to rule this kingdom with the wisdom that I have (which is, alas, very little). When Finrod departed, the rule was thrust upon me, undesired, and I – had very little experience. My only experience was from – Tol Sirion.

                [he winces]

– I try to follow King Thingol in all his policies: as my kinsman and as a ruler I have great respect for him.

Túrin: [confused:]

                Your kinsman, sire?

Orodreth:

                Yes. He is the uncle of my mother.

Túrin:

                Oh, I see. These relations somewhat confuse me: and I have forgotten that.

Orodreth: [nods]

Yes. But why am I bothering you with these tales? I am certain you have your own troubles that concern you.

Túrin:

                It is no matter, lord. I am glad to be of aid.

                [he stands up]

Orodreth:

Thank you, Adanedhel. I look forward to seeing your report for the plans on Security next week. I will send the Steward to show you what all the job entails.

Túrin:

                Yes, lord. Good evening.

Orodreth:

                Good evening.

[Túrin leaves, shutting the door behind him. Orodreth sighs and goes back to work on his papers. After a moment, the door of the adjoining room in the apartments opens, and Finduilas appears. Orodreth looks up and sees her.]

Finduilas:

                You have asked Adanedhel to take his place?

Orodreth: [stating:]

                You were listening.

                [She does not deny it.]

Finduilas:

                I could not help but hear. Why did you ask him?

Orodreth: [sighs]

Finduilas, he is the best one to do it. Gwindor will not, and cannot, even if he would. I think you have misjudged Adanedhel: he is proud, yes, but not haughty, and humble of his gifts; and he is merciful.

                [pause]

Finduilas: [quiet:]

                Perhaps you are right.

                [pause]

Orodreth:

                What do you have against him?

Finduilas:

                I – I … I do not know. I do not like him.

Orodreth: [softly:]

Well, let me tell you what I think about it: you wish that Gwindor were different than he is, that he were as he used to be. You are angry with yourself for wishing that and wish you would not wish it. Adanedhel is a physical embodiment of how Gwindor used to be; and so you turn your anger upon him instead, as if it is his fault that he is as Gwindor was; and that it is his fault that you wish Gwindor were not as he is.

[long pause; Finduilas looks at him blankly for a moment, then sinks into a chair nearby, her face in her hands]

Finduilas: [voice choked with tears:]

Yes: I suppose you are right, Father. I … I … How can you see such things that I cannot even see about myself?

Orodreth: [smiling sadly]

                Much experience of emotional turmoil myself, dear.

Finduilas:

                Excuse me, Father.

[She gets up and goes back into the adjoining room, shutting the door after her. Orodreth sits for a moment, sighs, then returns to his paperwork.]





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List