Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Common Ground  by jenolas

The morning of the banquet dawned bright and clear, with not even a wisp of cloud to be seen in the early morning sky. A shimmering heat haze could already be seen hovering in the main clearing of the settlement, the fresh air warmed by the heat of the Midsummer sun.

"I think it will be a clear, warm evening, judging by the by the brilliant blue of the sky today, and the brightness of the star shine last night," commented Thranduil as he and Legolas walked to the kitchen where breakfast was being served early to allow the cooks time to prepare the banquet. “It appears that the weather is going to favour your celebration.”

"Did you sleep at all, or did you just stay awake all night watching the stars?" Legolas asked, as he affectionately clasped his father's shoulder. Taking Thranduil's slightly raised eyebrow to indicate the latter, he laughed merrily. "Well I hope your prediction about the weather is correct, for although we Elves would not be bothered by summer rain, I am certain that our guests would not appreciate it," said Legolas as he opened the door to the dining hall and ushered Thranduil inside. A respectful silence descended as they entered the dining hall, and all present rose and bowed to their King, who suddenly decided that such formality was rather incongruous in the very relaxed atmosphere of this realm. With a conspiratorial wink at his son, he cleared his throat and announced,

"Since I have your attention already, I hereby decree that normal courtly etiquette towards me is no longer to be observed for the duration of my stay. You may address me simply as 'Thranduil'. It is still required behaviour however, for the royal guests of Gondor who will be here this evening."

"I think Aragorn and Arwen will be here sooner than that, I am expecting them to arrive within the hour," said Legolas as he helped himself to some fresh fruit juice.

"I thought his name was now Elessar?" enquired Thranduil.

"King Elessar he is to his subjects, but he still prefers to be called Aragorn by his friends," explained Legolas.

"I see. I suppose Gimli will also be here early? Will the other Dwarves be coming with him?" asked Thranduil, unable to decide on the sliced peaches or the fresh bread rolls and cheese and finally taking a serving of each.

"Yes, to both questions. If you wish to avoid them, I suggest you keep away from the stream that flows a short distance from here. They will be making their camp amongst the large boulders on the bank. I am afraid that is the closest place we have to a cave in these woods."

"I will keep that in mind. Now, on to something more important; I know you were not expecting me, and must have your own plans for the day, so is there anything I can do to help with the preparations?" Thranduil asked, glancing around to see the bustling activity that had already begun in the kitchen. Legolas frowned slightly, trying to think of something, but nothing came immediately to mind.

"I think everything is well in hand, Adar, why not just relax and enjoy the fair weather?" Thranduil looked doubtful, even someone with his extensive experience in organizing banquets often missed some important detail, and Legolas had he suddenly realised.

"Everything, you say? Where are you setting up the pavilion for the ladies accompanying Aragorn and Prince Faramir?" Legolas looked utterly bewildered for a moment, a pavilion? Noticing his son's confusion, Thranduil asked a rather pertinent question. "Surely you do not expect them to be able to climb up to the flets to refresh themselves, dressed as they will be in all their festive finery?"

"I had not thought of that," his son admitted. It was not normally a problem, for both Arwen and Éowyn loved climbing up to his flet and always came appropriately dressed. It would be difficult for ladies in ball gowns to use the rope ladders he realised, thinking of the gown with its voluminous skirts that Arwen had been wearing the last time he attended an official function in Minas Tirith. The maids of his community had no such problem, for they always wore lightweight dresses that enabled them to dance unhindered or to easily climb their trees.

"Considering your lack of experience in preparing a banquet and the finer points of a lady's attire, it is not surprising. I will take on the task of seeing to their comfort as soon as I have delivered the many letters and packages I was given to bring to various of your fellow settlers," offered Thranduil with an almost elfling-like eagerness.

Thank you, Adar. Your presence here is not only pleasing, but also fortuitous. If you think of anything else I have forgotten to do, please feel free to rectify the situation," said Legolas sincerely grateful for the assistance. Just then the sound of a deep, gruff voice boomed across the clearing.

"Where is that crazy Elf? He better not have gone to the glade without me!" the Dwarf declared loudly, ignoring the amused smiles of tolerance of those around him; the Elves of Ithilien were quite used to such an outburst from their leader’s friend.

"Ah, Gimli has arrived," said Legolas unnecessarily. He walked to the open window near where he was sitting and called loudly; "I am in the dining hall Gimli, come and have some breakfast!" The Dwarf was slightly startled to see Thranduil also seated at the table, but he covered his surprise well by taking a place beside the King and politely enquiring if the King had slept well.

"I had sufficient rest, thank you," replied Thranduil. "And you?"

"Slept like a stone!" Gimli laughed, amused by his own words. "Is Aragorn here yet, Legolas?" he asked as he helped himself to a large portion of scrambled eggs.

"No, but he will be here shortly," replied the Elf. "Where are the rest of your friends?"

"Setting up camp by the stream. I do not think they will venture into the settlement today, they have heard your father is here," Gimli said looking slightly embarrassed and trying to avoid Thranduil's displeased glare.

"You may inform the Dwarves that I intend to have absolutely nothing to do with them," he said coldly, his demeanour making him appear like the Sindarin warrior he had once been and emanating an aura of majestic and absolute power. "However, you may also warn them that I will not tolerate any interference with our celebrations, nor any disrespectful behaviour towards my son, his guests, or myself! Now, if you will both excuse me, I will see to the matters we were discussing earlier," he said to Legolas. As he stormed out of the room, he did not even notice that all activity had ceased and there had been utter silence as the Elves watched their King display his awesome power.

"My father was right, the Elvenking can be very intimidating when he chooses," said Gimli staring thoughtfully after the departing Elf.

"It was no idle threat he made and all the Elves here will support any action he might take," said Legolas seriously. "I think we had best make sure there is no reason for a confrontation between your friends and my father, or our efforts at rekindling a friendship between our races will be in vain."

"Have no fear, we will behave, even if just to spite your father," said Gimli with a wicked smile. "So how is your 'surprise entertainment' coming along? Have you finished it yet?"

"My part is complete but I am still waiting for you and Aragorn to provide me with the final sections. Come and see how you like it so far," he offered. Legolas watched with some amusement as Gimli climbed his wooden ladder, but when he saw the Dwarf's foot slip on the rung, he reached out with elvish reflexes and hauled him up onto the floor.

"I warned you the rungs would become slippery with the morning dew," Legolas said as he poured the Dwarf a glass of wine to ease his shattered nerves. Before realising what he was drinking, Gimli proceeded to down it in a single gulp. He screwed his face in disgust at the taste.

"And I told you Dwarves only drink ALE and are not meant to climb trees! Perhaps we should both heed each other's advice in future," suggested Gimli. They were both still laughing as they heard Aragorn and Arwen below, apparently involved in a difference of opinion.

"That Elf we just passed was Thranduil, I tell you. I have known him for many years, there is no mistaking him," Aragorn insisted rather forcefully.

"Are you sure? He certainly looked a lot like Legolas to me," replied an equally adamant Arwen.

"Hah!" exclaimed Gimli, "Even Arwen made the same mistake, and she at least has seen him on many prior occasions."

"Not for many centuries, though. I must go down there and greet them, and put an end to their squabble. Are you coming?" Legolas asked, guessing correctly that Gimli would prefer to stay where he was.

"Are you insane? After the trouble I just had climbing up here?" Gimli asked, refusing to let the Elf's teasing bother him. The Dwarf walked over to the edge and peered down to where Aragorn and Arwen were waiting. "Hello, you two, it is a lovely day for a feast, is it not?" he called over the edge of the flet just as Legolas nimbly jumped down and landed beside Arwen who smiled up at Gimli before turning her attention back to the Elf.

"That was Thranduil I saw over by the dining hall, right Legolas?" Aragorn asked as Arwen reached up to kiss Legolas' cheek by way of greeting.

"Yes, he arrived unexpectedly yesterday. Ask Gimli to tell you the tale of how they met, it is quite amusing," said Legolas, ignoring the scowl he could feel boring into his back from above.

"Later, perhaps," Aragorn replied, waving a scroll under Legolas' nose. "I am eager for you to see the finished product. You will excuse us, my love?" he asked, gently brushing his lips across the back of his wife's hand.

"Of course," replied Arwen who had her own plans for the day. The Queen of Gondor was a regular visitor to Legolas' community, and had quickly made several friends. "I will see you all later, I see my friends are waiting for me,” she said, waving to a group of elf maids who were walking in the direction of the glade. They stopped and waited for her, greeting her warmly with hugs and much laughter.

Legolas and Aragorn quickly climbed the rope ladder and soon the three friends were deeply engrossed in perusal and discussion of Aragorn's scrolls and the ones of his own that Legolas retrieved from his study. After several hours, they had completed their work and were highly satisfied with the final result.

"It will be a fitting finale to the evening," said Legolas, leaning back casually into his chair and casting his eyes over the work once more.

"Yes, it will," agreed Aragorn as he leisurely sipped his wine and asked in as innocent tone as he could muster, "Now Gimli, will you kindly tell me how you came to meet Thranduil?"

*********

Meanwhile, Thranduil had finished delivering the various messages and packages he had brought from Eryn Lasgalen, and was proudly surveying the pavilion he and a few eager volunteers had erected in the shade beneath the canopy of a very large and ancient oak tree. He had used a large piece of the same cloth that formed the ceiling in his room, hanging it over two of the lower branches, and then pegging the edges of the cloth to the ground thus forming a simple tent with the soft grass as a floor. A selection of pillows and blankets were spread about inside, and a small table on which stood a water pitcher and basin was placed well away from the entrance. The combination of the thick canopy overhead and the elven fabric provided a cool haven from the increasing heat of the summer’s day and he was certain it would meet with the approval of the ladies.

Deciding that a nice, cool bath was next on his agenda, Thranduil thanked his assistants and turned back in the direction of Legolas’ flet to collect some fresh clothes and his bathing accessories. As he climbed the ladder, he heard merry laughter as Gimli finished his account of their unexpected encounter.

“Well, at least you have made a truce of sorts with my father, and only after one meeting. It may interest you to know it was many years before he accepted Aragorn as my friend,” said Legolas, the mutual affection and many shared memories in his eyes mirrored in those of his human friend. “Ai, Adar, have you finished building already?” Legolas asked seeing Thranduil hovering in the open doorway.

“Yes, all is in readiness,” he answered before turning to acknowledge the King of Gondor. “Greetings, King Elessar,” he said with a barely perceptible nod of his head. “I trust you and your lovely Queen are both well?”

“Greetings to you, Your Majesty, and yes we are both well, thank you,” he responded. “There is no need for such formality amongst friends, please just call me Aragorn.”

“As you wish. You must just call me Thranduil,” he said, frowning slightly as his keen hearing picked up the distance sound of slowly walking horses. “I believe I hear horses approaching,” he said turning to Legolas who had also heard.

“I expect that will be Faramir and his party, they wanted to arrive before the heat of the afternoon,” he explained. “I must go and greet them. Come, Gimli, we will set up some tables and chairs in the shade so that you do not have to keep climbing the ladder.”

“At last, a sensible idea,” grumbled the Dwarf as he followed the others to the forest floor below. After warm greetings were exchanged between the friends, Legolas introduced Thranduil to Faramir, Éowyn and Imrahil.

“It is an honour to meet the Woodland King,” said Imrahil, offering Thranduil the elven form of greeting. “I hope we can find some time to become better acquainted, for I have heard much about you from your son.”

“The honour is mine, and I am at your disposal,” answered Thranduil, surprising everyone except Legolas with the respectful tone he used to address the Prince of Dol Amroth.

“Éomer sends his apologies, but he has an urgent matter to deal with and is unable to be away from Edoras at present,” said Éowyn.

“Nothing serious, I hope?” asked a concerned Aragorn. “I have not received news of any trouble in Rohan.”

“Just a minor border scuffle with some rebels, I believe,” explained Faramir casually dismissing the subject. “Did Arwen accompany you, I have not seen her?”

“My lady has deserted me for her elven friends,” said Aragorn feigning a broken heart and making the others smile. “She feels almost as much at home here as you do, Faramir,” he added taking the opportunity to tease his Steward. Faramir merely shrugged, for everyone knew he spent much of his spare time with Legolas and his friends.

“Enough of this friendly chatter,” declared Gimli. Let us set up those tables you mentioned, Legolas. I have a thirst for some ale, and I need somewhere to place my tankard.” Legolas laughed heartily and clapped the Dwarf on the back.

“My apologies, friend Gimli, I will see to your comfort at once.” So saying he quickly organised the tables and chairs as well as a light meal for the travellers. Soon everyone was seated and the conversation turned to news and a discussion of the progress of the various restoration projects still being undertaken in both Minas Tirith and Ithilien.

“It appears the party has begun without me, have you room around the table for one more?” Arwen asked coyly as she entered the clearing, welcoming the new arrivals with a smile. Aragorn quickly made a place for her and she eagerly joined in the conversation.

“There is always a place for one of such beauty,” answered Thranduil. “Although it is many centuries since our paths last crossed, you are even lovelier than I remember, Arwen.”

“Thank you, Thranduil; it is a pleasure to see you again. It is wonderful that you could find time to share this celebration with Legolas, and all of us,” she said, her smile enhancing the sincerity of her words.

 


The afternoon air was becoming exceedingly warmer and oppressive and although the elves were not affected, both Arwen and Éowyn, who were dressed in their evening finery, were beginning to look decidedly uncomfortable, a fact that did not escape Legolas’ attention. With a quick glance at his father, a few words of silent communication were passed between them, and Thranduil nodded agreement.

“My ladies, Thranduil has organised a pavilion where you can refresh yourselves and perhaps take a rest before the festivities, if you so choose,” suggested Legolas.

“Sounds wonderful, does it not Éowyn?” Arwen asked her friend.

“Yes, I would like the opportunity to rest a little,” agreed Éowyn.

“Then allow me to show you the way, ” said Thranduil, gallantly offering each of them an arm. As the three moved off in the direction of the pavilion, Arwen and Éowyn giggled girlishly at something Thranduil said to them.

“It seems that your father has already charmed the ladies,” commented Gimli as he watched them disappear into the forest. “Perhaps you could learn a thing or two from him.”

“Really, Gimli, I need no such lessons from Adar, although I know he can be exceedingly charming when he chooses,” scoffed Legolas.

“I have to agree. Legolas learning how to be charming is hardly necessary,” laughed Aragorn. “You know as well as I that his problem is not attracting the maids, it is keeping out of their reach.” The sound of their laughter echoed across the clearing.

“It is getting late and I am afraid I have matters to attend to,” said Legolas draining the last of his wine as he rose to leave. “I must ensure that all is in readiness for this evening. Faramir can show you to guest rooms, or the bathing pools when you are ready, he has used them both quite often,” said Legolas with a smile for his most frequent visitor.

“I must also return to my camp, I have yet to deliver Thranduil’s message to my folk,” said Gimli, his mood growing dark as he recalled thinly veiled threat he had received earlier from the Elvenking. With a nod to the others, he stalked off in the direction of the Dwarf’s camp.

“I take it the rift between Elves and Dwarves is not yet fully healed,” commented Imrahil astutely, catching Legolas’ attention.

“I am afraid not as far as Adar is concerned. He is willing to accept Gimli as my friend, but that acceptance does not extend to other Dwarves,” answered Legolas.


“A small concession is better than none, especially considering the history between the two races,” said Imrahil.

“Do you know much about it?” asked Faramir, suddenly interested in the conversation.

“A little,” replied Imrahil enigmatically.

“Would you tell me what you know? I am very fond of history and lore, but there is much that is not in the archives of Minas Tirith.”

“Very well but if you find Thranduil to be in an approachable mood, I would suggest you ask him as well, after all he has first hand experience,” suggested Imrahil. “So, where shall I begin…?”

“Aragorn, would you care to join me?” asked Legolas pulling his friend aside as Imrahil began speaking to Faramir, certain that his friend had little interest in the conversation it appeared that the two Princes would be well occupied with for some time. “I am going to the kitchens to make sure that the food preparations are on schedule, and to help with the selection of wines from Adar’s cellars.” To his immense delight, Thranduil had sent a large selection of his favourite wines as a Midsummer gift to his people in Ithilien. That his father had decided to travel from Eryn Lasgalen to share in the celebration was an even greater gift that warmed Legolas’ heart.

“It would be my pleasure, I find history to be a very dry subject,” said Aragorn lightly, placing a companionable hand on the Elf’s shoulder as they walked. Legolas groaned at the jest, then stopped and turned to speak to Faramir and Imrahil.

“The banquet starts at sunset. I trust you two will find your way to the glade on time?”

Faramir’s silent nod was not very reassuring.

“Do not be concerned, Legolas,” said Aragorn with an amused gleam in his eye. “If Éowyn is anything like my Arwen when it comes to ensuring punctuality, they will not dare to be late!”





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List