Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Cold Wind  by White Wolf

Chapter Six

Begrin was not the only one, who was a good judge of character. Aragorn, too, had a talent for it. It was not that he hadn’t been fooled on occasion by people, or would not be again, but this time he believed he was in the company of someone good and honest. He sensed no evil coming from this person. Aragorn would remain cautious, but he would listen to what this stranger had to say and the manner in which he said it before he made his final judgment.

After letting his horse move away to graze, the ranger stood and waited for the tall, robed figure to sit first, and then he joined him, sitting cross-legged under a beech tree. The man appeared human to Aragorn’s eyes, ruggedly handsome with a long angular face. He had long brown hair and piercing green eyes. The ranger judged him to be in his late forties or early fifties.

Begrin smiled to himself, recognizing the look of scrutiny. The man also projected an air of caution. ‘Good’, Begrin thought. ‘I would not trust a man, who is too quick to give his trust to another.’

"My name is Begrin."

"I am Aragorn."

Begrin immediately recognized the name. That one word opened up to him the entire history of this man’s lineage. However, there was not a flicker of this knowledge in his eyes. It might put Aragorn off or raise his guard even more, if he knew that he, a stranger, knew all about who the man was. It was best to let him do the revealing about himself, if he chose, when it came his turn to speak.

"You asked my business here. I shall tell you." Begrin proceeded to tell Aragorn everything. He began with finding the black obsidian rock in the hands of the now ancient cult and its leader, who was about to release the evil within the rock and ended with his mission to find the elf that Saeragar inhabited. He made clear his intention to destroy the evil being before he could fulfill his desire to ultimately rule Middle-earth. He ended by saying, "Make no mistake, Aragorn. Saeragar will do anything to reach his goal. He cannot be underestimated."

Aragorn was a rapt listener for the most part. He had interrupted only once. When Begrin told about finding the dead elf in the forest. His thought had immediately gone to Legolas, and his heart skipped a beat.

Trying to control his near panic, Aragorn asked, "What did this elf look like? What color was his hair?" Most silvan elves had dark hair, and if the elf that had been killed had dark hair, Legolas would be eliminated as the possible victim.

"His hair was brown, not unlike my own." When Begrin saw the immense relief on the ranger’s face, he suddenly realized that the man wouldn’t be here in Mirkwood unless he was an elf-friend. And it was most likely that he was the friend of an important elf, probably a royal one, for him to be allowed movement here in the forest unescorted.

Aragorn had thought next of Arondo, who had been heading in this direction, looking for Legolas. ‘Please’ he thought, ‘do not let it be Arondo.’ Like everyone else, he really liked the elven warrior and knew him to be a very close friend of Legolas’s.

Aragorn had no way of knowing, of course, whether Legolas knew of Arondo’s death, but if he did, he would be devastated. He would also need another friend to share his sorrow with.

Aragorn knew he had to find the prince. Added to that was the thought that Legolas might be in danger from whoever or whatever had killed Arondo.

Despite his increasing concern, the ranger listened to the rest of Begrin’s story. It was plain to him now that the stranger was not human, or at least if he were, he had been changed into an immortal one, probably by the Valar he said he served.

When Begrin asked Aragorn about his being in Mirkwood, the ranger took his turn to do some revealing of his own. He explained not only his friendship with the realm’s prince, but the reason he was seeking Legolas right now.

Begrin’s heart sank, when Aragorn began telling him of Legolas’s strange behavior. The fact it had started at the time that Begrin first felt Saeragar’s release from the rock only added to his growing trepidation.

By the time the ranger had finished his story, Begrin was certain that Legolas, Prince of Mirkwood, was the elf that Saeragar now possessed. No wonder the dead elf had been taken unaware and had not drawn a weapon in his own defense; he hadn’t thought he was in danger.

Begrin looked sympathetically at Aragorn. From the instant he had found out who the being was that Saeragar had taken to be his host and the connection that being had to this man, he knew this moment would come, and he dreaded it. He took a deep breath before saying, "Aragorn, I believe, no, I know, that your friend, Legolas, is the one Saeragar has taken over."

As expected, Aragorn shook his head. "I don’t believe that. Legolas would never kill Arondo no matter who tried to make him do it. He would never kill a horse, either, unless it was too injured to survive without suffering. You are mistaken."

"Think about it, Aragorn...."

Before Begrin could continue, Aragorn raised an angry voice and said, "I do not need to think about it! I know Legolas as well as I know myself. He would never do something like that."

"What you do not understand is that it is not Legolas, who has done this. It is Saeragar. He has taken over your friend’s mind and made his body do things Legolas, in control of himself, would not do."

Aragorn was shaking his head again. "You do not know Legolas or how strong he is. He would not allow himself to be taken over by this Saeragar."

"He would have no choice, Aragorn. Saeragar is more powerful and more dangerous than you could ever imagine. No one can stand against him."

"Then why are you here, trying to do it?" the man asked, his tone infused with sarcasm.

"If he possessed my mind, as he does Legolas’s, I could not survive, either. He can be stopped, and I am probably the only one to do it." The statement sounded arrogant, but Begrin knew his own powers and was simply speaking the truth, as he knew it to be.

When he saw that Aragorn had opened his mouth to offer what he was sure was another defense of his friend, Begrin quickly continued. "I have no doubt the prince has a strong will and would fight for dominance, but he does not know what is happening to him. His awareness has been put to sleep, if you will." Begrin was using simple terms, trying to make the man, who knew nothing of Saeragar’s true nature, understand the situation.

"Transferring from the rock into Legolas has weakened Saeragar. That is why I must find him quickly. Once he gains his full strength, Legolas’s spirit, his very essence, will be crushed, utterly destroyed, and he will cease to exist. Then all of Middle-earth will be in danger."

Aragorn stared at Begrin. The emotional war within the man was evident on his face. On one side was the undeniable fact that he believed Begrin’s story. On the other side was the unshakable belief that Legolas would somehow escape Saeragar. The archer was just too strong-willed to give in. Just as Begrin was searching for Saeragar to destroy him, Aragorn would have to find Legolas to offer whatever aid he could to help his friend gain his freedom from the evil being.

Begrin hid from view the pity he felt for this man, who was trying so hard to continue believing his friend would survive. Aragorn would only take the pity and use it as fuel for his anger. Begrin admired the ranger’s loyalty, but it would only cause him a great deal of pain in the end.

It was knowing the ultimate outcome that made Begrin certain such pain would be unavoidable. He regretted that he would not have the chance to get to know the elf who elicited such faith and devotion from this ranger.

Not wishing to provoke Aragorn any further, at the moment at least, Begrin finally said, "We will search for Legolas together. Hopefully, he is not too far ahead of us."

Aragorn regarded Begrin with a critical eye. "You told me you could feel Saeragar when he was in control. If you don’t know exactly where he is now, that means Legolas is probably in control. Right?" He didn’t wait for an answer but gave Begrin a triumphant smile. "I told you Legolas would not let Saeragar win."

"The battle is far from over," Begrin stated with a sigh. He was glad that the ranger did not continue the argument. Until the man accepted the truth, there was no point in continuing to exchange words about it.

Getting to his feet, Aragorn whistled for his horse. "We can ride together," he stated tersely. Anger that Legolas could be so easily dismissed by this man, who didn’t even know him, had suddenly filled the ranger, so he said no more. He, too, felt that more words were useless. He believed in Legolas. That was all there was to it.

They both mounted and continued on their quest to find the Prince of Mirkwood.

*~*~*~*

The object of Aragorn and Begrin’s search had ridden away from the place where he had spent the previous night.

Legolas’s tears had long since dried, but his heart remained heavy. He had accepted what he knew to be true, yet he could not figure out what had gone so terribly wrong within him to make him kill one of his closest friends. Thinking about it ceaselessly did not give him any answers. What it did give him was a headache. ‘To match my heartache,’ he thought, not even attempting to push either of those pains away, thinking he deserved the suffering they caused.

He could not remember the actual killing, but he was sure it was a close match to his dream. No matter whether his eyes were open or closed, he kept seeing the fear in his friend’s eyes and then all that blood---Arondo‘s blood.

Deep inside the elf’s mind Saeragar waited. This elf, he noted, was about as emotionally low as he could get and would be ripe for destruction. Soon. Very soon now.

The voices of children caught Legolas‘s attention. Looking along the path he followed, he saw two adult elven males, one adult female and three young elflings.

He suddenly stooped his horse. If he could kill Arondo without being aware of it, he could certainly kill these elves that he did not even know. ‘I must turn away before I put them in danger.’

Saeragar realized that now was the time. If he was to fulfill his perceived destiny to rule Middle-earth, he should start here in this land with these elves.

When the lone rider rode up to the small group, it was the image of their prince they saw. Smiling happily, the three adults bowed respectfully. "Mae govannen, my lord prince," the older male elf said.

Saeragar did not speak Sindar, nor did he know the customs of the elves of Mirkwood. However, since he occupied the mind of the prince, he had assimilated his knowledge. Everything that Legolas knew, Saeragar now knew. "Mae govannen," he replied with a smile.

Saeragar dismounted. By the time he had done so and walked to the stand beside the head of his horse, the children had been rounded up and were now bowing to show the respect they had been taught to show for any member of the royal family they might encounter.

All six elves stood quietly, waiting to see what would be required of them. They did not think the prince would have dismounted otherwise.

Saeragar approached them. He stared intently at the children, who were quickly rendered motionless, transfixed by the gaze they found themselves staring into.

Saeragar was rewarded. These small beings were easy to control. One intense gaze, and they were rendered immobile, thus they would be out of the way while he dealt with the adults, which he thought would be harder minds to manage.

When he turned that gaze on the two young adults, his eyes flashed and turned black. The elves shrank back in fear. But before they could move too far away, the evil being grabbed each of them by the shoulder. "Do not fear me." When he felt them relax, he said, "You will serve me." He spoke softly, though the command in his voice was penetrating.

"Of...of course, my lord," the younger male stammered. "We have always...served you...and your father, our king, with loyalty."

Saeragar intensified his gaze. "You know that you will have to do whatever I order you to do."

"Yes, my lord," the female said. Her voice had taken on an unnatural monotone.

"No matter what it is I require."

"Yes, my lord," the two elves replied together.

Movement caught Saeragar’s eye. He turned and looked at the elder elf, who he thought might be the father of one of the two he still held. He was surprised to see the elf jump forward, grab Legolas’s arm and try to pull it away from the she elf’s shoulder.

When Saeragar turned his black gaze on this elder elf, he saw defiance staring back at him. He did not like it.

"Let my daughter and her husband go," the elf demanded.

"Adar," the female said in horror. "Do not speak to the prince that way."

The father snorted. "No son of Thranduil would talk to his people in such a manner. He is not Prince Legolas."

Startled stares greeted that statement.

Saeragar became furious. How could this ordinary elf figure that out when the elven warrior he had killed, who had known the prince personally, had not? It made no sense to him.

He ignored the elf‘s command and instead asked, "Why do you stare at me?"

The word ‘stare’ suddenly gave him the answer. The eyes! Somehow Legolas’s eyes must have changed with the attempt to dominate these people. ‘That is why they stare at the prince’s eyes so hard.’

Saeragar had never before inhabited a solid form like this, so he had no idea that doing so would cause a physical alteration.

He turned his head away and took a deep breath. When he turned back to face the elves, blue-gray eyes shone out from Legolas’s face, though they still held a hard edge.

The two younger elves did not seem to notice the change. The elder elf’s anger rose. "You cannot fool me. I do not know who you are or how you have taken control of our prince’s body, but I know for sure you are not Prince Legolas."

Saeragar had the feeling that the elf would have run from him, if not for his daughter and her family. He looked at the couple, putting every ounce of his own will into the look. "Kill him!"

Both elves blinked. "Kill my father?" The words were spoken with an even tone, not one of horror as would be expected of such a command. It sounded more like she was asking for confirmation for the unusual request before taking action.

"You said you would serve me. It is my command. Kill him."

Just as had been the case with Arondo, the elder elf looked frightened but did not for a moment think that his daughter and son-in-law would obey such an unthinkable order.

With no emotion whatsoever, the couple turned as one and attacked the older elf. His son-in-law wrapped his hands around his neck and began choking him while his daughter kicked and punched him.

It was a dreadful scene that would have horrified Legolas almost as much as knowing he had killed Arondo had.

When they finished, the elder elf was lying dead upon the ground at his family’s feet.

Saeragar stood and laughed. This was going to be much easier than he ever imagined. His arrogance was such that he never had a single doubt he would accomplish his goal.

The elves now stood in front of him, apparently waiting for further orders.

Pleased with the outcome so far, Saeragar said, "Go back to your home and tell others that Prince Legolas is now the leader to be obeyed in this realm, and they are to wait for orders from me. Do not allow dissention from others. "

The elves bowed and walked away, paying no attention to the three elflings that stood quietly by their grandfather’s body.

"Go," Saeragar said somewhat harshly, waving his hand toward the retreating backs of the children’s parents.

Saeragar took a deep breath. He realized that as long as the king of the realm lived, Prince Legolas would continue to occupy second place, and whatever he, Saeragar, said could be overridden by the king. That was not acceptable.

It now appeared that a slight alteration of plans was in order. Instead of turning the realm’s elves to him and then eliminating King Thranduil, his original plan, the ruler would have to be eliminated first. So deciding, the evil being inside of Legolas mounted his horse and turned toward the palace in the northeastern part of the great forest.

*~*~*~*

Begrin became aware of the change in Saeragar’s direction and the increase in his strength. With mounting fear, he said to the ranger sitting in front of him, "Head for the palace, Aragorn. We must save the king."

TBC





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List