Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Celebrian, Sell i Nos Galadhad   by Redheredh

Thanks to Bejai and Marnie for the beta.  Any mistakes you find are all mine.

~ >> ~ >> ~ >> ~ >> ~ >> ~ >> ~ >> ~ >> ~ >> ~ >> ~ >> ~ >> ~ >> ~ >> ~ >> ~ >> ~

Chapter One – A New City

The daily market of Ost-in-Edhil bustled at every hour of the morning.  Colorful stalls filled the great square, spilling out into the surrounding environs.  A diversity of kindreds and cultures flowed together with remarkable peace in a new city where the corners of the cut-stone buildings were still sharp and the steel-bound wooden gates still fragrant with the scent of the trees. 

Sellers of a surprising variety of wares, goods, and produce enthusiastically enticed the swirling throng of elf, man, and dwarf to buy.  Bright, clamorous speech and lively hucksters’ songs rang out from every direction.  Enticing aromas and strains of music swirled through the air.  An ever-changing combination of sights, shouts, and scents rolled over the eager shoppers in waves, lifting up a normal day into a buoyant fair.  Even when swept into narrow places and forced to slowly eddy around, the crowd was cordial, ready with laughter rather than curses, for there was much mithril to spend and it was actually safe to walk the streets with it. 

Glamien, with Celebrian in tow, and the two vigilant guards escorting the nanny and little princess walked leisurely through the congested alley of the corn vendors.  Some of the people bowed as they passed, but all stepped around them, not expecting the little party to move aside for anyone. 

Glamien’s destination was the stall at the end of block.  As had become usual, she would buy a half-measure of the fine-milled grain.  Certainly, the cereal for sale there was the very best available short of the Ivonwin.  However, what she really came for most every day was, in her opinion, the very best gossip found in the city.  This was always her first stop before going about any other shopping.  She never knew how long she might be talking and did not wish to stand around holding packages nor unkindly burdening her escort when she had one.

Eventually, the four came up to the busy booth and Glamien exchanged pleasant greetings with Elrach, the proprietor.  He finished seeing to his current customer then turned to her, leaving his son who worked with him most days to look after the other insistent customers who had been waiting long before Glamien had arrived. 

Elrach was one of the first friends Glamien had made upon arriving with the Lady Galadriel and the remainder of the Lord and Lady’s household almost a year ago.  The Lord Celeborn had come to Eregion nine years before.  Though ever eager for his wife and daughter to join him, Galadriel had been hesitant.  At first, she insisted that Celebrian was too young and she, not Celebrimbor’s folly, needed her mother’s attention.  Then she had worried that the city was not safe enough for their precious child.  Often Celeborn had journeyed to visit them in Lórínand, though he had to travel through the dwarves’ realm – and rely on their king’s good will towards the master smith – to do so.  Only last summer, Amroth Amdirion had personally delivered them into the joyful Lord’s arms.  After hearing Elrach’s harrowing stories of the violence in the earlier years of the colony, Glamien was glad they had waited so long.

The elegant city that Celebrimbor planned had been impossible for him to build, much less hope to manage, before seeking the aid of Celeborn and Galadriel.  The master smith who dreamed of a new Gondolin was neither a ruler nor a governor.  Yet Gil-galad gave him the royal warrant he asked for.  Most reasonably assumed it to be repayment of a political favor; not an award for past lordship.  So it all went out of Celebrimbor’s control when the news spread of the discovery of a mithril mother lode in Khazad-Dûm.  Chaos reigned while the Brotherhoods and Guilds the master smith had invited to help build his colony vied for control, exploiting the absence of royalty and taking advantage of Celebrimbor’s inexperience.  All desired for themselves alone the incredible wealth and power that was to be had.  The worst sorts of brigands were drawn by the promise of easy riches.  Bandits terrorized the few passable roads.  Pirates stalked the rivers.  Gangs raided farms and burned homes.  Whoever they did not run off was forced into labor or to pay ransom.  Among elves, men, and dwarves alike, there was rampant theft and even cold-blooded murder, but little justice.  What was meant to be a glorious capital was naught but the myriad armed camps of hostile factions. 

Celebrimbor rightfully appealed to Gil-galad who did send troops, but their commanders became corrupted and the lawlessness continued.  In desperation, Celebrimbor journeyed to Amdir’s realm to beseech his old friends and an ‘arrangement’ was made.  Celeborn returned with Celebrimbor and order was at last brought to Eregion.  The army was cleansed.  Would-be rulers were put in their places.  Trade routes were made safe.  Peace was enforced.  Decent folk who cared more about making a good living rather than stacking up silver were welcomed and protected.  Construction was begun on the city.  The Lady came to grace the new realm with her beauty and glory.  What had been a sorry failure for four decades became a great success in one.  Every farmer, herder, and forester and every merchant, craftsman, and artisan knew who had been given rule of the colony, but also knew who was actually ruling their lives.  The common people gratefully paid respect to all three rulers of Eregion, those nobles present cooperated, and the High King wisely did not interfere.

Glamien admired Elrach and his family for surviving through it all.  Having come from Lórinand, she had never experienced that kind of turmoil.  Instability and social upheaval frightened her in a way orcs did not.

For his part, Elrach had enjoyed Glamien’s company from their first conversation.  She was of the better sort of people that had started coming to what he considered his city and her visit was a highlight of his day.  She was always eager to listen while he spoke of goings-on unafraid, unlike in the past.  She would remark sagely, only sometimes asking a question, and shared in his amusement at other people’s follies.  No one had known that she was a familiar of the rulers’ household until the first time she brought darling little Celebrian with her.  Now Elrach also enjoyed the cachet Glamien’s patronage carried as well as her interesting - yet always discrete – tidbits about life with the Lord and Lady.    

The two friends completed their loose ritual of chatting about the weather and the day’s offerings for a few minutes before lowering their voices and getting down to their real business. 

“Alas, times are too good,” said Elrach, pleased that he could say that.  “I’ve not much to tell today.  The tiff between the stone-cutters and masons has been settled.  That entertainment is over.  My youngest grandson has lost his first tooth and that’s not very thrilling after three other boys.  So where do you take the heryn tithen today?”   

Celebrian patiently held onto the cord around her nanny’s waist just as she was supposed to.  She was content for the time being, sucking on a half of dried pear and watching the different people go by.  The guards for the day, Nítmilrû and Faunaur, stood in the way of anyone who might accidentally bump into their charges or get close enough to be rude.  She liked being out even if she had to quietly stay with her nîni.  Later they might walk through the Glad Edreb where there were nice trees and people would give her little toys and favors.

“We’ll be goin’ quite far,” answered Glamien.  “All the way to the new tailor’s street to get her a ready-made slipover for play.  She’s ‘bout outgrown this one as you can see.”

“Aye, in fact I’d say she’s ready to sprout up.  Though it’ll be quite a long while yet ere she catches up to her parents’ stature.”  Elrach winked at Glamien to let her know that he knew the child was listening though she did not show it.  Glamien smiled very proud of the princess she had cared for since newborn. 

She had begun to bring the lass along with her lately and was quite pleased with her conduct.  The child slowed down her nanny’s progress, but did not tire quickly and then have to be taken back before the trip was over.  She was very good about keeping hold of the looped cord around Glamien’s waist so that she would not get lost or occupy her nanny’s hands.  Unlike most children, this one never needed to be told to do something over and over again.  It was as if she clearly understood the reason for a rule and thought it a good idea that she would adopt for her own sake.  However beneath that seemingly compliant nature, Celebrian was a guileful child who could at times be quite stubborn.  She obeyed her parents.  Her nanny she obeyed more or less out of habit.  Anyone else’s orders she might or might not choose to tolerate. 

Glamien felt a sharp tug on the cord and excused herself to Elrach. “What is it, hên?”   

She did not point, as she had been instructed by her naneth that it was impolite.  Instead she looked over at a dark-haired fellow leaning against the wall of the bakery shop on the corner, then back to Glamien, then back to the fellow once more.  It was obvious this strange elf was watching her. 

Glamien knew that Celebrian did not like being stared at and certainly not by someone so suspicious-looking.  He was not very tall, quite strong-looking, and dressed in brown and green forest-dweller garb.  His features were of a common cast, except for grey-green eyes.  His plain bow was heavy like a Galadhrim’s and almost as tall as he.  A hithlain cloak was thrown back from a plain tunic, no undershirt.  He wore a quiver, rather raddled, and a slim blanket roll slung across his chest with a small pouch and stone knife on a loose belt.  His fitted leggings smoothly covered the tops of soft, simple shoes and neither had any visible laces. 

“He’s Laiquendi,” Elrach informed her.  “There’s a band of them gone down the street earlier looking for plain waybread and lembas.  ‘Twas nothing remarkable about them.  Though you ne’er see many this side of Tharbad.”

“You didn’t think them worthy of mention?”

“No,” he replied looking puzzled at her concern.

“What’s he waiting there for?”  Her greater concern was that Elrach had forgotten about them until he was asked.

“Who knows?  Them to come back.  You two maybe?”  He spoke in a conspiratorial whisper and comically raised his eyebrows, implying his friend’s worry was silly.  Instead of relaxing, Glamien became more irritated.  She stared back at the looker-on who did not turn way. 

The green-elf made a slight movement with his shoulders and Glamien caught a glint off the handle of a long knife tucked beneath his quiver.  She was sure that he had revealed it on purpose.  Celebrian pulled down heavily on the cord, almost hanging on it.

Glamien had been summarily ordered to not chance anything untoward concerning Celebrian.  Her parents had personally assured her that they would uphold any precaution she took.  So she turned to Faunaur, the senior guard, and causally said, ”Have him arrested.” 

The guard had been paying close attention and knew exactly whom she meant.  He waved over a civil patrolman and gave him some instructions - the last of which was to remove the fellow to the barad-tir for questioning.  The patrolman and his partner approached the Nando and took hold of him.  He protested then, after listening to them, obviously decided to cooperate.  They all walked off in the direction of the Aradeib; the green-elf glancing back at them only once.

Glamien bent down to Celebrian’s ear.  “See, lisillë.  The bad eledh is gone.”

Celebrian nodded her head in agreement and resumed sucking on her piece of fruit; her hand a sticky mess.  She looked at her níni with happy eyes and smiled sweetly.  Then she was distracted, as were many others, when a small, fluffy dog suddenly started excitedly barking at something or someone.  Its sparkling silver leash fringed with tiny bells made a clamorous jingle as the animal struggled to be let down from its flustered master’s arms.  People all around turned to look and laugh.

Though she gave no outward sign, Glamien could tell the child wanted very much to play with the dog.  The owner was familiar to her by sight as a neighborhood denizen.  Elrach had spoken fair of him.  Since the day’s news was trivial, she closed their conversation.  With a knowing grin about dogs and children, Elrach exchanged her regular purchase for her newly minted coin, making a little show of it. 

“Thank you very much, maerves!  You’ve bought the very best and anyone here will tell you so!” announced Elrach.  Not stopping any work at hand, his son and also his neighboring boothmen automatically raised a loud “Yea!” at his prompt.  Without turning around to look, Elrach flipped the shiny copper piece high up into the air and it landed squarely with a sharp chink in the change basket behind him.

Unimpressed and forcing herself to politely smile, Glamien thanked him again and handed the small sack to Nítmilrû.  Faunaur hovered over her shoulder as she took the child over to the dog’s elegant master who, having gotten his canine under control, was honored to introduce himself and very happy to present his pet to the princess.  Celebrian greatly enjoyed having the friendly dog lick her hand clean, laughing merrily to the delight of every passer-by.

While the little princess was cheerfully playing with the dog, a patrolman came up to Faunaur.  Glamien saw that Nítmilrû was keeping a good eye on Celebrian, so she turned her attention to what was being said by the patrolman.

“The Annon-torthmo says they left by the east gate and all points are alerted to detain them if they return.”

“Good.  But, I doubt they shall.  From all appearances he was just a drifter.  Thank you.  That is all.”  The peace officer went after a polite nod in Glamien’s direction.  Faunaur moved to stand beside her.

“There is no need to return if you wish to go on,” he said to her.  “He was probably just curious about her.”  He grinned and added, “Or flirtin’ with you.”

Glamien was not in a mood to joke.  The look she gave in response to his teasing set the guard back on his heels.  “We’ll go on,” she said flatly. 

Celebrian’s parents wanted their daughter to have some time away from the heap everyone called a palace and yet be safe.  It did not please Glamien that everyone else, even their guards, seemed to think the child needed no protection at all. 

Could none believe that there might be someone - some dangerous fool - unafraid of the Lord and Lady’s wrath?  Someone for whom the prospect of a stupendous ransom could overcome both reason and fear?  Or worse, some mad monster given to perversion determined to grab her for his prize?  Being of a very practical sort, Glamien was satisfied that this particular threat had been well removed.  But, there would be a next time.  She cared not that the green-elf might just have been a curious fool.  If that proved true and she ever saw him again... well, maybe then she would apologize... and then again, maybe not.

TBC

~ >> ~ >> ~ >> ~ >> ~ >> ~ >> ~ >> ~ >> ~ >> ~ >> ~ >> ~ >> ~ >> ~ >> ~ >> ~ >> ~

Author’s Notes:

All elvish is in Sindarin unless otherwise indicated and underlined means I put it together myself – corrections and comments are welcome!

Celebrian, Sell i Nos Galadhad – Celebrian, Daughter of the House of the Trees

Celebrian’s date and place of birth is not recorded.  However, it appears that the first time Elrond truly sees her as a woman is at Imladris.  So she was probably born after 650 Second Age and not in Lindon or Eriador else the two would have met as adults before Eregion was settled.

Galadriel is said to have brought with her to Lórien mallorn seeds given to her by Gil-galad, which were a gift from Tar-Aldarion.  The first Numenorean ships landed in Mithlond around 600 Second Age.  Galadriel and Celeborn could have left for the east anytime after that year.  It is also said that the trees did not take root in Lindon and “did not reach the height or girth of the great groves of Númenor”.  So, it probably took considerable time and care to grow the trees of the Golden Wood.

Ost-in-Edhil was founded in 750 Second Age.  However, Eregion is said to be settled by Celebrimbor, by Celeborn & Galadriel, and by all three as early as 700 Second Age.

Lórinand – Valley of Gold (Lorien), a later name for Lindóriand, Vale of the Singers (the Lindar), Amdir’s realm where Lenwë’s people, the Nandor, originally settled.  This realm extended along both sides of the Anduin river valley, down to Fangorn and up past Amon Lanc until the establishment of Oropher’s own realm which encompassed the Greenwood.  Lothlorien was originally only a principality within Lorinand.

Laiquendi/Laegrim – Green-elves of Ossiriand, the realm of Denethor, son of Lenwë, in Beleriand.  Denethor migrated with his followers to Beleriand after the Nandor had been settled in Lindoriand for some time.  The green-elves are wood-elves just like the Silvan whose forbearers are also the Nandor.

Ivonwin – Yavannildi, the maidens of Yavanna who grow the lembas corn

maerves – good woman, goodwife

heryn tithen – little princess

hên – child

naneth/nana – mother/mom

barad-tir – watch tower, guard house

Aradeib – Royal Houses, headquarters/government buildings/City Hall

lisillë / lisullë – sweetie diminutive of sweet, fem./masc. Quenya - Galadriel’s endearment for her daughter

eledh – an older word for elf

Glad Edreb– Open Forest PublicPark

Annon-torthmo – great-gate controller Gate-keeper

 





        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List