Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Short, Occasionally Sweet - Gwynnyd's Drabbles  by Gwynnyd

His reaction was all she had hoped for. Aragorn’s eyes caught hers but slid inexorably to the banner showing the king’s arms that took up most of the wall in the small chamber. It stood as tall as he, the light fabric swaying slightly from the movement of their passage across the room. He reached out one tentative hand and touched an adamantine gem on the stars surrounding the White Tree. Even in the golden candlelight, it sparked blue fire.

She had fed the worms, unwound the cocoons, spun the thread, dyed the color, woven the cloth, broidered it with gems, and carved the staff. Seeing the delighted wonder on his face made the memory of the labour light.

“You made this for me?” he marveled.

Arwen laid her hand over his. “Until this moment no eyes nor hands but mine have touched it. I put strands of my hair into the weave; see where the weft seems thicker?” She took the edge and folded it over. “And the back mirrors the front, so all will know the rightful king rides under it. It is time, Elessar.” She called him by the name that had been foretold for him.

Delight suffused his face, but he shook his head. “I cannot take this.”

“It is yours.” Arwen laughed. “I have already spoken to Sam. There is room on the pony for the staff.”

Aragorn’s eyes softened, but he shook his head again. “My path may not lead directly to the White City, and much unforeseen may happen in the wild. I would not have it arrive tattered and ragged, nor see it put to base use.” His hand reverently stroked the crown that surmounted the tree. “Bring it to me in triumph, beloved, when the quest is accomplished.”

Arwen lowered her eyes to hide her disappointment. “I wove what strength I could for you in the making, but I will content myself with this.” She took his hands, and brought the left to her lips. Pressing a kiss on his fingers, she said, “May Manwë give you strength to face your trials.” She kissed his right hand. “Tulkas guide your sword to vanquish those who oppose you.” She took his face between her hands. “And Yavanna grant us a life together in peace.” She gently kissed his lips.

After a few moments, the kiss turned more insistent, and his arms slid around her shoulders. She felt both a certainty and a promise in his embrace.

And Aragorn said to Halbarad: 'What is that that you bear, kinsman?' For he saw that instead of a spear he bore a tall staff, as it were a standard, but it was close-furled in a black cloth bound about with many thongs.
'It is a gift that I bring you from the Lady of Rivendell,' answered Halbarad. 'She wrought it in secret, and long was the making. But she also sends word to you: _The days now are short. Either our hope cometh, or all hopes end. Therefore I send thee what I have made for thee. Fare well, Elfstone!_'
And Aragorn said: 'Now I know what you bear. Bear it still for me a while!' And he turned and looked away to the North under the great stars, and then he fell silent and spoke no more while the night's journey lasted.
The Passing of the Grey Company, Return of the King





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List