Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Man of Quality  by GIRLOFRING

Disclaimer: I do not own any of these characters. They belong to J.R.R. Tolkien. I just like to write about them.

Man of Quality

Chapter 9

Summary: Frodo, Sam, Eowyn, and Arwen held captive by Renegades who want their fellow comrades freed. They torture the captives, especially the Ring-bearer.

The birdsong was barely heard above Frodo's scream, but the creatures communicated without even losing a single note as the Ring-bearer's voice faded to the background.

"Ah, I knew you had it in you," Alphus scoffed, tracing a finger along side of Frodo's hairline, ending at his jaw.

Frodo broke out in a sweat as he struggled against his bonds, turning his face away from his tormentor. Gasping for breath, he did not know how long it would be before he passed out, wishing that it was sooner than later.

Frustrated that the Ring-bearer refused to acknowledge him, Alphus grabbed both sides of the small jaw, leaving impressions from his thumb and fingers, forcing the hobbit's eyes to look at him. "Now, that I have your attention, I will give you another lesson. I was not pleased with your prior performance. I do not believe your King heard you," the Ruffian smiled, raising the still half full flask above the wound again.

Fear flashed in the blue eyes as they widened in absolute horror, struggling harder against his bonds, the rope biting into his already bloody wrists. "No...more," Frodo whispered his plea, looking at the flask.

"What was that?" Alphus paused the tipping of the flask, "I do not believe I heard you."

Another bird chirped, then a thump was heard. "What the...?" Alphus turned around just as a dark cloaked figure came up behind him an arm wrapped around his throat.

"He asked you to stop," the harsh voice breathed into the Ruffian's ear as the arm cinched tighter, cutting off Alphus's air.

The terrorist, still holding the flask, flung the liquid into the cloaked figures face. The cloaked figure released his hold upon the Ruffian, rubbing his eyes at the stinging liquid, rendering him blind. In that same instant, Alphus pushed the cloaked figure, making him stumble to the floor. He reached for his sword, swinging it high. He heard that same retched bird song again, realizing too late that it was a signal.

Whoosh, Thump!

Frodo turned his head as best he could, squeezing his eyes into focus. The Ruffian lay on the ground with an arrow in his forehead. The cloaked figure in the corner slowly got up, walking toward Frodo, wiping its eyes. A mask covered the man's face, but Frodo was not afraid of him, as he had run into his kind before in Ithilien. The masked was removed, revealing a kind faced Captain. "Faramir.." Frodo breathed, his heart thumping wildly against his chest before he lost consciousness.

Eowyn had managed to cut through her bonds with the piece of broken pottery Sam had given her earlier. Her heart fell when the Ring-bearer screamed, but that gave her the opportunity to finish the cutting quickly as the other two terrorists had turned their attention to what was going on out on the balcony. The prisoners had been watched carefully up until then and when the rope finally fell from her wrists, she nudged the gardener.

"I am free. Where is there a sword?" the Lady of Rohan asked quickly while the wiry figure had his body turned.

"Sam," the Queen whispered, a tear falling from her eyes, "My Elven sword, over there," she signaled with her eyes at the wall a couple of feet from where they sat. Since moving in, Arwen had no time to place her things where they ought to have been. One of the many items was the Elven sword she used in defense against the Ringwraiths at the Ford. A fine fabric of white silk, embellished with filigree gold, stood against a planter. It was made from the same fabric the Lothlorien Elves cloaks were made from, hiding its wearer from unfriendly eyes.

Sam steadied himself, watching for his chance. Quick as a hobbit could, the gardener stealthily made his way the short distance, his hands grabbing the cloth covered sword. From where he was he could see the men taunt his bound master, as he could peer between their bodies, little hands struggling against restraints with blood dripping to the floor. A tear fell as his stomach lurched. Silently quelling his stomach, Sam made his feet move away from their spot, carefully placing the sword behind Eowyn, hiding it from the terrorists just in time as the wiry fellow came back to his position followed by the leader.

"Alphus does have a way to make them scream, does he not?" Toulouse questioned, looking at the group sitting on the floor.

A birdsong came in from the balcony. "What kind of bird sings at night?" the wiry fellow questioned. Then he heard a thump.

Toulouse heard it too. "Stay on them," he warned, making his way to the balcony. Another birdsong made his way to his ears. Drawing his sword, the terrorist picked up his pace to the balcony. That was when he saw his partner being taken out by a Ranger's arrow. "The prisoner's! Get the prisoner's now!" Toulouse yelled out to his partner, running back into foyer.

The wiry fellow took his eyes off the prisoners as he heard instructions being laid out. That was the moment Eowyn needed as she found the handle of the sword, grasping it securely as she rose to defend her friends. The wiry man turned around too late as he saw the female prisoner's blue eyes up close feeling the coldness of a blade run him through.

The doors were thrust open, men of Gondor spilling into the foyer being led by King Elessar. Steele grey eyes searching for the one who kidnapped his friends, torturing them.

"Strider! He's on the balcony with Frodo!" Samwise yelled out as familiar friends surrounded the Queen, scouting the area for any other Ruffians.

The Ranger's instincts kicking in, Strider spotted a shadow behind a curtain, the outside moonlight illuminating it. The figure had its sword above its head, ready to strike down anyone that passed him.

Without a flinch, Anduril punctured the curtain, its blade slicing through flesh. Aragorn waited for a sound, but there was none as he retracted his blade, the body falling to the floor.

"Looking for me?" the Ruffian said, his sword against the King's throat. "Now, should I run you through just like you were going to do to me? Or should I behead you right where you sit?"

tbc...





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List