Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Man of Quality  by GIRLOFRING

 Disclaimer: I do not own these characters, they belong to J.R.R. Tolkien. I just like to write about them.

Man of Quality: Chapter 4

        After Frodo had vomited, he received a bath complimentary of Aragorn and Sam. Since Frodo had not regained any of his mobility, he was not able to bat away hands as he was being disrobed then carried away to the steaming water. Sam had seen Frodo's eyebrows quirking together as his eyes pleaded with Sam to not leave him. Strong hands cradled him as he was lowered into the water. Closing his eyes, he relaxed immediately breathing in the familiar aroma of lavendar as he felt Sam's deft fingers massaging his scalp. Aragorn smiled, listening to the slow rhythmic breathing sounds realizing Frodo had fallen asleep. Gently lifting his charge out of the water, Aragorn supported Frodo as Sam wrapped his master in warmed fluffy towels. Frodo did not stir once as he was redressed in a soft nightshirt and tucked in under a couple layers of blankets.

        "He has had a busy night," Gandalf said gazing down at Frodo, sleeping peacefully. Probably for the first time in a long while he suspected. "There is nothing we can do right now to draw out the poison. It will have to run its course," placing his wrinkled hand upon the former Ring-bearer's brow, "I think I shall go to my chambers and I will have my roommates accompany me," Gandalf said looking at Merry and Pippin. He knew there was no forcing Sam to leave Frodo's side. "Merry, Pippin, come along lads. Frodo will need all the rest he can get. Call if you should need anything," Gandalf said lastly addressing Aragorn.

        Aragorn nodded escorting Gandalf to the door. "I hope that you will talk to Faramir soon. I am sure this is all a misunderstanding. I have known Faramir all his life. Unlike Boromir who tried to take the Ring, Faramir did not," Gandalf hung onto the last words to make sure they hit home. Aragorn had not told anyone what Boromir confessed as he lay dying in his arms. He wanted him to die with dignity. "Yes, I know, as well as Faramir. Sam had used this information to try and persuade Faramir from taking Frodo to the Steward."

        "This information is new to me. What made him change his mind?" Aragorn asked before opening the door.

        "You should ask him yourself," he answered as he exited the room followed by Merry and Pippin.

        The room had gone quiet as Faramir had finished spinning his tale to Eowyn. She took in every word as he described what happened from the moment he met Frodo and Sam to the breathtaking event that led him to the decision to let them go.

        "I am sure if you explain to the King, that he himself could not come to the conclusion that you had anything to do with harming Frodo," Eowyn speculated looking her fiance in the eyes.

        At that moment in time, Faramir could not have guessed how lucky he was to wed this lovely creature sitting beside him. In one swift movement, Faramir gently cupped Eowyn's chin on either side, bringing her to him, kissing her ever so lightly and lovingly.

        Eowyn could not breathe as heat radiated between her and Faramir. All too soon the sensous kiss was over leaving Eowyn trembling. Faramir observed his bride shivering and held her for just a moment before they were interrupted by the guard clearing his throat. Reluctantly breaking away from their embrace, Faramir stood looking at the guard to tell him the reason for the intrusion.

        "Sorry to disturb you my Lord. I have the information that you requested," the guard of the citadel said, bowing before Faramir and Lady Eowyn.

        Taking the hint, Faramir had asked Eowyn to excuse him for a moment. She nodded. Faramir and the guard left the room, entering a side door off to the right. After a few moments, Faramir returned thanking the guard as he left the room.

        "What was that all about?" Eowyn asked, curiosity rising.

        "I have been working on a project. Nothing to concern yourself with," he added as he reached for her hand, raising her to her feet. "I will ask you take leave from me now. I am sure the King will be in here when he finishes with Frodo. I want to be ready when he interrogates me."

        "I will go check on Frodo and ask King Aragorn if he has found out anything," she offered finding it offensive that he asked her to leave at all. But she understood. If she had found herself in his place, she would have done the same.

        "Good night, Eowyn," Faramir blessed his future wife, kissing her hand before letting her out his chamber.

        When Eowyn exited the Faramir's chamber, she found the guard gone and the hall sconces unlit, which she did not think of any importance at the time until it was too late. She found herself down two corridors, almost to the Ring-bearer's room before she had been taken by surprise. A black gloved hand covered her mouth, dragging her into a darkened room as her wrists had been bound behind her. As the hand uncovered her mouth, not a scream could escape before she had been gagged. She could not see her attackers as their faces were covered with chain mail. Only their eyes were revealed. Forced to sit on her backside, the leader of the attackers was whispering to one of his colleagues.

        "What are we to do now?" he hissed not making eye contact with Eowyn, but looking passed her.

        "This will be better. He will definitely do as we command if he knows we have the upper hand," responded the colleague.

        Eowyn did not show fear. She faced greater evils than this. She had had a hand in destroying the Witch-King. She had wielded her sword with the best of them, but, she had to admit not with her hands bound. She kept an eye on all four men. They were in front of her. She moved her hands around on the stone floor hoping to find some kind of shard to release her from her bonds. As her hands roamed, she felt something soft and stringy. It was getting bulkier. She scooted ever so slightly to get a better grip on the material she had found. In a moment, she had a handful and gave a quick jerk. What she had heard, was not what she expected. In fact she did expect whatever she had just pulled on make a sound. With her eyes adjusting to the low light, Eowyn looked down on her right. Her eyes grew big as she recognized the person that the hair belonged to she had just pulled upon. There laying in a small pool of blood was King Aragorn's wife, Arwen Undomiel Evenstar.

tbc.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List