Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Man of Quality  by GIRLOFRING

Disclaimer: I do not own these characters, they belong to J.R.R. Tolkien. I just like writing about them.

Man of Quality

Dusk settled into night as the hobbit made his way from the celebration into the cool night air where he could have a little peace. He knew his servant and most loyal friend was acting on his behalf, but he was not in a partying mood. The lights, laughter, and music were all becoming unbearable. His head pounded to the beat of the music. He also noticed when speaking with Eowyn, the candlelights seemed to reflect off her lovely white gown, making it sparkle causing his eyes to ache. He must have seemed rude as he blinked several times as she all of a sudden excused herself in mid sentence. He made a mental note to apologize to her later, after he rid himself of his confounded headache. When Frodo observed Sam walking towards the farthest side of the hall, that was when he had made his escape.

Unbeknownst to the hobbit, one of the guests were watching him. Not as a favor to the King, but as a promise to himself. The former Steward of Gondor's son had taken upon himself to thank the Ringbearer personally for saving Middle-Earth and the hopes that he would forgive him of his mistrust in Ithilien. Even though they had parted ways on good terms, Faramir had hoped to meet Frodo again to apologize. When Faramir observed Frodo slipping out of the hall onto the balcony, the time seemed to be as good as any to approach the Ringbearer.

After successfully escaping, Frodo approached the balcony. A gentle breeze caught his curls blowing them softly, refreshing his senses as he inhaled. Rain was in the air. It had not yet begun, but Frodo knew it was not far off. Probably just past the mountain range. Inhaling deeply had relieved some of the stress he was feeling, but the pounding in his head was persistent. So intense was the pain, Frodo did not hear the approaching footsteps nor the constant repitition of his name being called.

"Frodo?", Faramir called. When he received no reply he tried again as he touched the Ringbearer's shoulder,"Frodo?"

The hobbit quickly turned his body at the touch, backing up against the stone wall. When his eyes focused on the big person he spoke, "Captain Faramir...I mean Steward. I was not expecting anyone else to be out here."

"Forgive me," Faramir said waving his hand, "I did not meant to startle you." He then stepped back a couple of feet realizing at their last encounter he forcefully backed Frodo against a cave wall trying to take the Ring. "This time I mean you no harm. I noticed you gave your bodyguard the slip. Is everything all right?"

Frodo's brows quirked as he tried to recall the incident. Understanding the irony of the situation he let his body relax. "Sam has been at my side since..." he trailed off, not looking at Faramir. "Well, just since, and I thought he would enjoy an evening by himself. Besides, I just wanted a breath of fresh air and glimpse the wonderful city lights that Boromir had spoken so fondly of," he said hoping that would take care of Faramir's curosity and be off.

Faramir was not leaving just yet. This hobbit thought he could brush him off that easily. Did he still harbor ill will against him? He needed to clear the air between them. "I noticed you were speaking to Lady Eowyn..." he did not finish as he was interrupted.

"So, you are here to save Lady Eowyn's honor? Please tell my lady that I am sorry to have winked at her. I think she took it the wrong way. I had something in my eye," he lied sounding annoyed. "If you would like to settle this the hobbit way, I am sure we can procure some ale, but not tonight," he continued slowly as the floor began to spin, "for I am not in the best of physical condition to sword fight, especially you. Now, if you would leave me to my vices, I will find my bed soon enough. Good night." Frodo turned to leave holding tightly onto the bannister. He felt a hand on his shoulder, but he had already begun his descent down the stairway. Missing the first step, the hobbit plummeted to the bottom landing with a thud. He had not realize that a certain Captain had tried to stop his fall by grabbing onto his cloak.

Faramir raced down the stairwell stopping at the bottom quickly falling to his knees at Frodo's fallen form. "Frodo? Can you hear me?" Faramir asked as he checked the little body for any broken bones. The only thing he found was a bump forming on the back of Frodo's head as well as a warm swollen area at the nape of his neck. Concerned for the former Ringbearer, Faramir signaled a guard to watch over the hobbit as he ran to fetch the King.

Faramir found Aragorn in the middle of raising his glass as to yet another toast made to the saving of Minas Tirith and to the reign of their new King. "My liege," he interrupted after bowing, then grabbing hold of Aragorn's arm leading him away, "there is a problem that you must tend to."

Aragorn cast a look of disgust towards Faramir's actions and quickly pulled his arm out of the Captain's grip expecting an explanation before continuing. "I hope that this life threatening to pull me..." he stopped as he saw an exasperated Sam running towards him.

All but stopping in front of Aragorn to bow or not to bow, it was Sam's turn to pull on the King's arm. "Strider, King, Aragorn..." he breathed, "Frodo. He's hurtin' pretty bad."

"What? Where?" Aragorn asked confusedly as he was led out to the balcony, where only moments before Frodo had escaped to and was now at the bottom of the staircase. The was a guard there as well, just standing over the hobbit's inert body. A crowd started to gather as Aragorn, Sam, and Faramir descended the stairs crouching at Frodo's side.

"Sam, what happened?" Aragorn asked as he started to go over Frodo's body feeling for any broken bones. When it came to examining the head he had found the bump that Faramir had also felt, but this time when Aragorn pulled back his hand there was a small amount of blood coating his fingers.

"I don't know. I didn't see Mr. Frodo leave, so when I did not see him at the party I started looking for 'im," Sam stated then looked at Faramir before continuing his story. "I found 'im on the balcony talkin' to Cap'n Faramir here. It was their talk, so I just waited until they were through before I would come out. Then, Mr. Frodo here was talkin about some sort of duel and honor of Lady Eowyn, and he got louder. I turned my back for just one minute, then I'd seenMr. Frodo fall down the stairs with Cap'n Faramir in front of him. I think he pushed him down the stairs!" Sam exclaimed, tears flowing freely.

Now, Faramir was nodding, agreeing to everything that Samwise had said that took place, except him pushing Frodo down the stairs. He blanched, eyes wide at the comment just made. He looked into the eyes of the King and shook his head. "That is not how it happened at all," he stammered. "Just ask the guard."

Aragorn looked up at the guard and said, "Well, did you see what happened?"

The guard looked up at the sky and thought for a moment before replying, "Cap'n Faramir did call me over to guard the Ringbearer..."

"See?" Faramir concluded.

"But," the guard continued, "I did hear the Cap'n here and the Ringbearer arguing before him falling," the guard stated pointing to Frodo.

Aragorn could not believe that Faramir would do such a thing. True, he had heard that he treated Sam and Frodo sorely when they tried to make their way through Itilien. Pippin spoke so honorably of the Captain as he tried to gain his father's love by riding back to Osgilith, an apparent suicide mission. He was glad that Lady Eowyn had finally found someone to love. Lady Eowyn was madly in love with Faramir, and him her. A relief off of his mind since he was betrothed to Arwen.

"Captain Faramir, can you explain?" Aragorn asked.

Faramir just wanted to apologize to Frodo. How would he know it would end up in such a mess. He began to open his mouth when a small groan came from the form lying on the ground.

" Mr.Frodo, open your eyes," Sam asked his master as he cradled him in his arms.

Images of fireworks exploded in front of his eyes. They slowly faded as his eyes focused on a bearded man calling his name. Dizziness assailed him again as he felt someone lifting his shoulders. Fingers clutched onto fabric as he held on for dear life.

" Mr.Frodo?" Sam called again.

Frodo realized the fabric he was holding onto belonged to his friend, Sam. He looked up, not answering with his mouth, but with his furroughed eyes. He looked up at Sam for a moment, then his eyes drifted towards his left and seen a bearded man leaning very close to him. It was Captain Faramir. He was going to take the Ring. He shook his head, eyes gleaming with fear in his voice shouted out,"NO! Stay away!"

Sam felt Frodo's body stiffened as he buried his face in his servant's tunic. Sam quickly closed his gaping mouth, having no words to utter for the actions of his master. His eyes turned upward to the King in the hopes that he could help.

Aragorn had seen the exchange take place and he had no choice but to imprison Faramir until this situation was resolved. "Captain Faramir, I am relieving you of your duties. You will remain prisoner in your quarters under guard until further notice. Guards!"

Faramir's face paled and offered no resistance as he was taken away.

As King, Aragorn had no other choice, and he knew he would soon feel the wrath of Lady Eowyn when she receives word of his actions. Voices could be heard whispering in the shadows as his orders were carried out. The former Ranger solemnly looked down to two little hobbits, one clutching to the other for dear life. Aragorn knelt beside Sam and gently took the Ringbearer into his arms, carrying him back to his chambers, deciding that the little one had had enough of healing houses and sick beds.

tbc.





        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List