Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Good Enough  by The Karenator

Chapter Four: Seregon

A knock sounded only seconds before Elendur, my aide, stuck his head in my office. “My lord, Lord Aldamir summons you to his office.”

“Thank you,” I said, taking up the map I had been using to plot out locations where the spiders had been reported. After all the hours I had spent looking for a common thread, a pattern to the spiders’ march, I could not see one. They were simply swarming.

Aldamir barely glanced up from a field report he was reading as he motioned me to the chair across from his desk. When he finally placed it on his desk and turned his attention to me, he looked as grim as I felt after spending an entire morning trying to track spiders on a map.

“What news?” I asked.

“Erelas has found more spider carcasses. He still believes they are fairly fresh kills even though they are merely dried out shells. From appearances, the dead spiders are being drained of their blood and body fluids.” He raised an eyebrow. “He thinks the red-banded spiders are feeding on their solid-colored cousins.”

I winced. “Could you not find a better description of their fellow spiders?”

He smiled, joylessly. “The number of bodies has increased significantly. They are finding them in groups. By appearances, our mysterious spider is helping us rid the forest of our old enemy.” An even bleaker look settled on his face as he exhaled slowly. “The bad news is that both Erelas and Ferendi think the red-banded ones are feeding so voraciously because they are reaching maturity.”

“That is a truly unpleasant thought,” I said. “Then they are readying to reproduce?”

“This appears to be the case,” he said. “While they may be aiding us in reducing the numbers of their kin, we cannot allow them to bear young. As aggressive as they are, the cure would surely be worse than the affliction.”

“And their venom?  Have any of the warriors been able to kill one so that they can procure a venom sac?”

“Not yet,” Aldamir said. “We have no way of knowing what a bite from one of these aberrant ones would do to an Elf.  If we can judge their venom by their size and aggressive behavior, then I fear they will be even more deadly than the solid black ones. We must find them before they can lay eggs.”

“Do you have any plans for expanding the search for them?” I knew Erelas was doing all within this power to locate them.

“I have sent orders for Erelas to continue to track the fall of bodies and see if they will offer some path to follow. As for the western patrol, I have sent orders for them to remain in their area and near the villages that are risk. Ferendi tells me that villagers are actively patrolling the perimeter of the villages themselves as best they can, and no one is venturing very far from home. The time will come soon when they will be forced to hunt. Game is becoming scarce, and they will have to go further into the woods to find food. We are running out of time.”

“There are no more warriors to send to aid them,” I said, feeling rather bleak that we had nothing more to offer in help to the besieged villagers. “We are already short in the home guard and at the northern and eastern borders.” 

“We cannot take any from the south. We will have to make do with those who are already searching,” Aldamir said. His frown deepened. “And,” he added, “I grow uneasy about the novices being in the woods. We have no way to predict where these new spiders will go.”

“Perhaps we should call them in,” I said.

“I have considered that. Unless more news comes to me that changes my mind, I will wait to hear from Erelas and Ferendi again to make that decision.” He leaned back in his chair and clasped his hands at his waist. “We are still required to pay the novices a visit to observe.”

“When are you thinking of going?” I asked, trying to calculate how we would deal with spiders and observe the novices.  In truth, there was little we could do about the spiders that we were not already doing or little we could do until the decision was made about the villagers and a course of action was decided upon. The king and his advisors were still trying to persuade the villagers that relocating was a viable option. Until then, we were still operating as usual. I truly hoped that nothing would prevent us from going to view the games. My personal interest aside, I always looked forward to this part of my duty. Aldamir and I got a much needed night or two in the woods, and we also got a sometimes amusing look at how the bedraggled novices and masters were faring. I have to admit, I admire the masters; they are the bravest warriors I know.

“If there are no changes, then I plan to leave in the next few days, possibly the day after tomorrow. We will spend one night in the forest and then return. The masters will have worked them over fairly well by now. My aide will know where to find us if we are needed. We will not be far away.”

I smiled. “I will take clean undergarments.”

Aldamir laughed. “Your naneth will be pleased.”

The following morning, the dispatches we received told us nothing new and my hope renewed that we would indeed be able to spend our night in the forest.  Even with no new information, the reports spoke of more brittle spider carcasses littering the woods. Still, not even a hint of a sighting of the foul new spider stalking our woods had been seen again, only the remains of their feeding.

Aldamir met with the village leaders and the king all afternoon to discuss the urgency of evacuating the villagers.  Sordien and Calendon sprang upon the news of the black spiders being consumed as food as something to celebrate.  Aldamir told me he explained over and over to them that the red-banded spiders were potentially even more deadly than their kin, and this news was not cause to delay removing the villagers from their current location.

Thranduil had become impatient with the leaders, his oldest son told me as we walked toward the palace after a quick ride out to the king’s pastures to view the horses being trained and to speak to the horse masters about which mounts were ready to be taken into service.

“The king is nearly to the point of anger,” Aldamir said. “He does not wish to command them to leave, but prefers they make the decision themselves. As responsible leaders, the king feels Sordien and Calendon should see the dangers and hasten to locate their families and friends to safer grounds without it being forced upon them. His patience grows thin.”

“I suppose the villagers find it hard to see the woods as a dangerous place,” I said. “They know the normal dangers of the woodlands, but this threat is nearly beyond them,” I offered, trying to understand their reluctance myself. I knew the villagers had long lived in the western woods, and I understood their love for the trees under whose boughs they had been birthed, but those verdant green meadows and ancient trees would soon be twisted under the starless midnight of shadow if we did not find a way to disrupt its steady march. I was beginning to realize that Elf-kind were not always practical.

“They have had centuries to learn the perils coming from Dol Guldur,” Aldamir said. “The king likes this no better than they do. I do not like it either. Never do I wish to retreat from the evil that hunts us, but until we can make safe their homes, we must withdraw the Elves to safety.”

“Has Elenna said anything to you about moving the villages?” I asked.

He shook his head. “I have not spoken to her about any of this. She is aware, I am certain, of what dangers face her people, but I do not feel at liberty to discuss what goes on in the king’s chambers with her.”

I nodded. His decision was appropriate and what I expected him to say. “Still,” I said, “I wonder what she makes of all this. Eventually, she may prove an excellent ally.”

Aldamir shrugged. “I have no way of knowing at this point. I only hope that she will be understanding of this situation and be willing to be an example of trust and cooperation with the king.”

“In the meantime,” I smiled, “her company continues to brighten this otherwise dismal situation.”

Aldamir smiled. “It does.”

“Will you see her this evening?” I asked.

“She and her adar are dining with his sister, and then we go for a walk along the river.”

Elenna’s aunt is a mid-wife and healer among those who care for the Elves living in and near the king’s Halls. She married one of the king’s foresters years before I was born and has lived here since. I wondered if Elenna might remain behind with her aunt when her adar took his leave to return to their home. “It will be a nice night for a walk.”

“You have certainly taken a keen interest in my personal life as of late,” Aldamir said.

I chuckled. “As I do not have one, I thought to inflict myself into yours.”

Aldamir laughed. “Then allow me to suggest that you find your own maiden.”

“Would that I could,” I sighed. “My commanding officer rarely grants me respite from my duties.”

“Hm.m.m,” Aldamir hummed. “Then you should speak to him for I do not want you in mine.”

I slapped my hand over my heart. “I am hurt. I care only for your happiness—and a reminder of what it is like to kiss a maiden.”

A quicksilver glint flitted through his eyes. “It is nice. Very nice.”

That was all I wanted to know. My cousin, commander, and closest friend, was falling in love with this maiden.

When we reached the Great Doors, the guards saluted. The more senior of the two said, “My lords, the king has sent word that he requires you in his office upon your return.”

Aldamir and I went straightway to his adar’s office. As soon as Aldamir knocked upon his door, the king bade us to enter. We bowed in unison as Thranduil waved us to take the chairs across from the desk where he was seated.

With no preamble, Thranduil said, “I do not believe I am making my position clear to Sordien and Calendon. They continue to resist relocating. They leave me with no choice in this matter.” He rubbed his eyes and leaned back in his chair. “I will issue a command to relocate the villagers.”

“And if they refuse,” Aldamir asked.

“Then we can offer them little if anything in the way of protection. They will accept the responsibility of their fate,” the king said, but not without regret, I thought, from the sad tone of his voice. “However,” he said, “I think a fair number of them will respond. We will have to be prepared to care for them.” He looked at Aldamir. “I wish you to meet with the chief-forester and locate several places within the safe woods that the villagers might find pleasing. We will present them to Sordien and Calendon. We will also need to provide housing and food until they can care for themselves. The foresters will be able to help in building talain and cottages, and they will know whom to enlist to aid them. Furthermore, we will have to provide safe movement through the forest for those who choose to answer my bidding. I know we are stretched to the limit with available warriors, but I must ask you once again to rearrange your patrols so that enough warriors will be available to escort them from the villages to the new home.”

“How many villagers are there?” I asked.

“Sordien’s village is the largest with over two-hundred Elves, including the children. Calendon’s is less, approximately a hundred and fifty.”

“Three hundred and fifty Elves,” I muttered, trying to make quick mental calculations of how we could arrange the groups and move them as quickly and quietly as possible. These were two of the largest villages in the forest. We would have to consider that there would be children and that the people would be moving supplies and belongings.

“My concern is that the villagers are safe,” Thranduil said. “You have my leave to do what will grant them safe passage.”

I nodded.

“When will you speak with Sordien and Calendon?” Aldamir asked.

“Tomorrow,” Thranduil said. “We can tarry no longer. The menace grows daily. I would like you to be present so that you can show them the areas in the forest where they may relocate. And I want you to explain how we will move the villagers safely.”  This, I understood; we would be in our offices all night, rearranging the patrols and dealing with foresters. I had no plans that this unexpected duty would interfere with, but I knew Aldamir did. I was sorry he would have to forego the walk by the river, but at the cost of one night, hopefully, we would see to the safety of Elenna’s people. I could not imagine being in Aldamir’s position of seeing her go back to her home while it was in such a dangerous place. On the other hand, if her village relocated closer, it would be easier for him to see her if that was what he desired. One night missed was a fair trade, I thought.

Aldamir nodded. “I will send for the chief-forester and have the troops realigned by tomorrow morning.”

Thranduil grimaced. “Do what is required.”

“Yes, my lord,” Aldamir answered.

“There is one more matter I would discuss with you,” Thranduil said with what I thought was great reluctance. “This matter is of a personal nature as well as one that may concern the realm,” he said, turning his gaze to his son. “Since this could involve the security of our people, I will leave it up to you as if you would wish Seregon to remain.”

I stood immediately. “If it so pleases you, my lord, I will await you in your office,” I said to Aldamir.

He waved me back to my chair. “That will not be necessary. If this concerns the realm then you will be informed of the matter anyway. As for the personal nature, then the same reasoning most likely stands.”

I sat back down, though not without reservations. Stealing a glance at him, I saw that his body was taut and rigidly straight as he waited for whatever the king wished to discuss. I knew I was uneasy. I had no idea what this was about, but I would not have had Aldamir feel uncomfortable with my presence. While we shared many confidences, there were areas of a personal nature that even two as close as we did not discuss.

“Very well,” Thranduil sighed, rubbing his temple firmly with two fingers. “I would not broach this subject save for the concerns of the queen. If this were only of a personal nature, then I would most likely not venture into this discussion at all, but as it is, there is the possibility that what she senses somehow ties into the safety of my people. I cannot take such a chance.”

Aldamir nodded slowly as he tightened his grip on the arms of his chair.

“The queen feels the maiden, Elenna, her adar, Sordien, and Calendon are hiding something,” the king said in a slow placement of each word as if he were letting each one go by force. “She senses something that they have knowledge of but are guarding closely. She feels no malice in them, but she is concerned that they are so readily concealing some truth from us.” Thranduil let a low breath from his lips as he leaned back in his chair. “I do not wish to intrude into your private life, Aldamir, but if there is anything that you have noted that may lead you to believe there is something that concerns the villagers occurring, then I must know.”

Aldamir’s face was neutral, but I could see that he was searching his memory for any word or behavior that could alert him to what clandestine activity there might be afoot.  Once he seemed to arrive at a decision, he said, “I am sorry, my lord, I can think of nothing that has seemed out of place with Elenna or with Sordien. I do not think I know anymore of this matter than you.”

Thranduil nodded, seemingly content with Aldamir’s answer. “I did not suspect that you did. I am comfortable that you would have brought any concerns to my attention.” The king studied his oldest son for a moment. “All I ask of you is to be alert for anything that might seem amiss, and,” he added more pointedly, “for you to remember that this may not be anything that would concern us for any reason, but only something that relates to them personally. You naneth is rarely wrong about what she senses, but not even one as gifted as she can see all. But she is concerned, though I am not certain if her concern springs from the queen or from the naneth. Where the safety of my people is concerned, I cannot dismiss what she feels is important. Where you are concerned personally, I cannot take that lightly either, but your private affairs are your own.”

Aldamir shifted in his seat. “Then you have no objections to Elenna other than your concerns about what Naneth has sensed?”

“I do not object to her at all, Aldamir. She seems a lovely young maiden, and if she brings you happiness, then I can only bless her.” Thranduil tilted his head slightly as I watched and waited with my breath caught in my chest. “Then you are serious about her?”

Glancing down at his hands, Aldamir took a moment before he answered. “I do not know, Adar.  I enjoy her company, and I wish to know her better, but that is all I know at this point.”

A small smile lifted the corners of Thranduil’s mouth. I thought he looked relieved.  “You have not known her very long and only time will tell if you wish to pursue this matter. You have no reason to feel haste.”

“Do you think Naneth objects?” Aldamir asked.

Thranduil shook his head. “Your naneth would like nothing more than to see you happy. Your naneth and I have a good marriage and for us to see all our sons satisfied in their personal lives would indeed be a pleasure. But you should not feel pressured. I trust that when you choose a mate, you will choose wisely. Your naneth’s concerns are merely concerns over something that puzzles her. Otherwise, she finds Elenna a lovely maiden, just as I do.”

“Thank you, Adar,” Aldamir said.

A brighter smile lit Thranduil’s face. “Now go. You will have a long night.”

As we entered Aldamir’s office, his aide, Culalda, jumped to his feet. “Send for Kemen,” Aldamir said, referring to the chief-forester, “and instruct him that I desire to see him immediately.” Culalda nodded and started to go out the door when Aldamir called him back. Aldamir took a piece of parchment from Culalda’s desk and quickly wrote out a note. “See to it that this is delivered to Sordien’s daughter, Elenna.”

“Yes, my lord,” Culalda said as he took the note and disappeared.

“Seregon, do you have the most recent realignments of the troops readily at hand?”

“They are in my office,” I said.

“Get them, then,” he said as he began to pull rolled maps of the northern and eastern forest out of the bins were they were stored. “Seregon,” he said as I reached the door, “do you still have the western map you were using to plot the spiders?”

“Yes, I will bring it.”

He nodded absently as he began to unroll the maps on the large table that sat against the wall for such a purpose.

For over four hours we worked with the forester to locate five easily defensible locations that would be acceptable to the villagers. Kemen scoured the maps looking for areas that were as close to the terrain the villagers were accustomed to as he could find and would afford them easy access to water and game. Three were to the south of the stronghold in the eastern woods, and two were to the north, above the Forest River.

“We will need to begin making preparations as quickly as possible, my lord.” Kemen said. “I am certain I can call on the Elves here to aid in building structures to house those coming, but the number of dwellings we will need will take some time to build. We must start as soon as you can inform us which locations the leaders have chosen.”

“I hope to be able to give you such locations by tomorrow,” Aldamir said. “Thank you, Kemen. Your aid has been invaluable.”

As Kemen took his leave, I was finishing making a list of all the Elves I would need to enlist for various jobs. Evening meal was well past, and we had not yet begun the rearrangement of troops. When I completed the list, I gave it to Culalda. “Make a copy of this list,” I said as I stood to follow Aldamir into his office to begin looking at numbers of warriors that I had no idea where we would find them and still be able to defend our borders.

A knock sounded on the door and when Culalda opened it, I saw a servant holding a linen covered tray. She smiled at me. “My lord, the queen and Lady Noreth have instructed me to bring your evening meals to you.”

I smiled as I thought of how my stomach had been rumbling for the past two hours. Apparently our naneths would not allow us to starve while we were holed up in our duties. My naneth would surely get a hug from me when I saw her next.

Culalda had begun to set our places to dine when Aldamir returned. “I thought I heard some mention of food,” he smiled as he glanced over our fare of fruit, thinly sliced meat, a mixed vegetable dish, and honey bread. “There is enough here to feed a patrol,” he said. “You are welcome to join us, Culalda, or if you wish you may be dismissed. I will not have any further need of your aid tonight. I will have the dispatches ready by morning.”

Culalda straightened from his task of laying out the meal. “Then by your leave, commander, I will go home. I am sure my wife has set aside my meal.”

“Then go. I will see you in the morning,” Aldamir said. “And do offer my apologies to your wife for having kept you so long past evening meal.”

“Thank you, my lord. I will do so,” Culalda said as he gathered a stack of papers and secured them into a drawer.

Once we were seated to eat, I poured our wine and with a sigh of gratitude, took a drink, letting the heady grape brew roll around my tongue. Aldamir also sat back with his wine, looking as if he had turned his thoughts elsewhere. I suspected I knew where his mind was.

“What exactly is going on with you and Elenna?” I asked bluntly.

His attention snapped back to me and for a moment, I thought he looked slightly shocked at the abruptness of either my question or at the sudden jarring from his reverie. Putting his goblet on the table, he took up his fork and knife, stabbed a piece of meat and began to cut it with a little too much vigor. “What do you mean?” he asked.

Propping my elbows on the table, I leaned forward. “You are much more serious about her than you told your adar.”

He stopped cutting his meat and looked at me. Slowly, a smile came to him, but he seemed to check it before it came to true fruition. “I told him the truth. I do not know where this will lead. Perhaps nothing will come of it.”

I snorted softly. “Something has already come of it, would you not say?”

“What are you asking me, cousin?” he said as he popped a piece of meat into his mouth.

“I am asking you if you are in love with her,” I smiled.

For a long moment he chewed thoughtfully. “I cannot say.”

“Cannot or will not?”

“Cannot, I think,” he said. “I have known her for such a short time. And we are from such different backgrounds. I do not know if she would be willing to make the changes that she would have to make to be with me.” He frowned. “Being with me would not be easy. My duty is time consuming and requires much from me. I cannot imagine any maiden would like to be in such a position.”

“You do not think she could adjust to palace life?”

He shrugged. “She is used to the freedom of living in the forest. Simply living here in the community surrounding the stronghold would be a great change, but to take on the responsibilities of being subjected to court daily could be more than she is willing to accept.”

“Does she love you?”

Startled, he sat back. “I do not know.”

“Then guess,” I smiled.

“I cannot,” he protested. “I have no idea what she feels.”

“Do not be obtuse, Aldamir,” I said. “You know if she cares for you or not. How does she act? What does she say? What does she tell you when she kisses you?” The spontaneous smile that sprang to his face could only be called carefree—or completely smitten. If I had not been so well trained by years of service, I would have laughed out right at his expression.

“When she kisses me,” he said, as if savoring the memory like the finest vintage of his adar’s cellars, “it is as if it is the most natural thing in all of Arda. She is not timid or reserved, but kisses me at her pleasure.” His smile broadened. “And when she hugs me, she is like a darting bird that has wrapped her wings about me for a feather of an instant before she darts off to see more of the river or the forest while guiding me along in her wake. And then,” he said softly, “there are times when her kisses awaken a fire in me that leaves me breathless.” He stopped there as if he could not venture to dwell too long on that aspect.

I smiled. “You have answered my question.”

“And what answer have I given you?” he laughed as he took another bite of meat.

I shrugged as I bite a piece of summer-ripe fruit in half, chewing it slowly. “That there is nothing left but the details. Do you think she will stay here?”

“We have not discussed the future,” he said. “I would like for her to stay so that we can get to know one another better, but it would not be an easy decision of her to make. Her family is in the village.”

“Her father’s sister is here. Surely she would welcome her brother’s daughter to stay with her,” I offered.

“Perhaps,” he said. “Even still, I am not sure she would wish to leave her home. Her sister is expecting. And the worries there about protocol are far less than living here in the presence of the king and queen.” He shook his head. “I do not know if she would be willing to leave the ways of her people or her family.” He looked up at me. “I cannot leave mine.”

“She would not ask that of you,” I said.

“I do not think she would, but how can I ask her to do something I am not willing to do?”

“Because you are the heir to the king and his commander,” I said. “You do not have a choice in this matter. You are who you are. She knew that from the beginning.”

“Still,” he said, “it would ask a great deal of her to give up what she loves.”

 I smiled. “She might find that having you all to herself is a just compensation.”

Aldamir returned my smile. “I would like to think that, but I cannot be certain that is enough.”

“Would it be enough for you if you were free to make such a choice?” I asked.

“I am not free to make such a choice, so my answer would not be valid. To say I could do so is easy enough when I know there is no chance that I will have to make that decision.”

I waved my hand through the air. “True enough. But you do want her to stay. If she knew this, she might be more than willing to make such arrangements. You will not know unless you ask her.”

Taking up his goblet again, Aldamir swirled the wine about, watching it as if answers lay within its depths. “I am not sure I can do that,” he said solemnly. “We have not known one another long enough to make a commitment and without one, I feel as if I am being selfish in asking her to move here for my convenience.”

“And hers,” I said. When he said nothing more, I leaned forward to prop my elbows on the table. “Aldamir, I know the time grows near that she will have to go home if for no other reason than to help move her family to a new settlement. When her village is closer, seeing her will not be impossible. None of the sites Kemen has suggested are over a few hours away. Maybe this is not the most desirable solution, but if you are uncomfortable with asking her to stay here, it is one that can work.”

“I suppose,” he said.

“Do not let her slip through your fingers because you feared asking for what you want,” I said. “I think you may find that she will be glad to have you ask her to stay. And if she feels she must return to her family, then she will let you know if she wants you to come to her there. Either way, you have let her know that she is important to you.”

“You are right, I suppose,” he said. “In the end, it is her decision.”

“And you will be taking nothing from her,” I pointed out. “But possibly, you will be giving both of you the opportunity to find out how you feel about one another and whether this will lead to something more.”

“What you say makes good sense,” he said as he leveled his gaze on me. “Then why am I afraid to ask her?”

Rolling my eyes, I said, “Because you are obtuse; I have already told you that.”

A short laugh escaped him. “This much is true. I know nothing about courting a maiden.”

“Nor do I,” I said lightly as I scooped up vegetables onto my fork. “But I will say this: I am envious of you, cousin. I would like to find a maiden as lovely as Elenna to teach me. Someday I hope to.”

After a moment of silence, he said quietly, “I was not expecting this.”

“I do not think we ever do,” I said. “To be honest, I have not even given much thought to such matters. At least not long term relationships. But now that we are settled here in the stronghold with our duty, the time seems more opportune. Perhaps it is simply time. Perhaps now is your time.”

“Perhaps,” he said.

“If Elenna does not turn out to be the one you have waited for, then you will still have a better idea of what you want and need. Someday the elleth who will hold your heart will come along and you will be glad to have learned so much about yourself and the mysterious ways of a maiden.”

“And you?” he asked with a taunting gleam in his eye.

“I am open to such,” I laughed, “if she finds me.”

With our meal finished, we moved back to Aldamir’s office to begin rearranging the troops. I was glad for our conversation, and I was pleased that Aldamir was happy with the budding relationship with Elenna. Still, I could not completely forget the queen’s concerns. Lalaith is gifted, but she is not one to intrude into the personal thoughts of others. My understanding is that she senses only truthfulness or deceit, joy or sadness, merely the effect of thoughts or behaviors, not the exact impetus that lay behind them. Though it would not surprise me to find that she possesses a more exacting skill, I have nothing on which to base this supposition. Even if I did not understand her power, I did not doubt it; she is, after all, the queen of all that abides in this forest, from Elf and tree to the smallest field mouse.

As for Aldamir, I wanted only what would bring him happiness. I could only hope that encouraging him was the appropriate course; he was obviously in love with Elenna and would have to deal with his feelings at some point, but I did not want to see him hurt or disappointed if this secret that Elenna and the leaders were holding so close turned out to be something that would interfere in their relationship. Whether the truth was important or not, it would eventually be uncovered. The truth always rides very closely behind deceit. I could only hope this secret was harmless.

“What is your thinking about the troops?” I asked.

“We will pull as few as possible from the border patrols,” Aldamir said as he took the chair behind his desk and flipped open the papers containing the patrol rosters, “but I think we will have to take at least twenty from each one, including the home guard. That,” he said as he glanced up at me, “will only give us sixty, and we must replace the border patrols with at least fifteen to each patrol.”

“There are those among the Elves living nearby who have served in the past. Perhaps we can press them back into service temporarily,” I said.

Aldamir nodded. “I have counted fifty I believe will serve if required. At this point I think I will use those willing to fill in on the borders and muster a few for the villagers’ guard if enough respond to my call. I could also ask the king if we may take eight from his guard. Seven of the Fifteen will be left to rotate their guard and since the king will not be leaving the palace, it should cause no breech in his security.”

I smiled wryly. “You could command them, you know.”

With obvious amusement, Aldamir said, “I have long enjoyed a pleasant relationship with Ohtar. I do not wish to destroy it now. If the king agrees, I will let him tell his captain.”

I laughed, feeling I had every right to find amusement in my commander’s reluctance to interfere in the Fifteen’s affairs since I would no more ruffle Ohtar’s feathers than he. “And what of the games?” I asked. “With this new matter, our time will be limited.” To miss seeing the novices under such circumstances and the chance to spend time in the woods would be ill fortune, but to miss our brothers would be a true disappointment for me.

“We will have to see,” he said. “If all goes smoothly, then perhaps we can spend one night.” A faint smile came to his face. “I would truly hate to miss seeing our brothers, but our first duty is to the safety of the villagers and to the safety of the changing patrols.”

“Indeed,” I smiled. “Then let us finish what we need to do before daybreak. We will be one step closer to a night under the stars.”

Morning was dawning by the time we had shuffled names, counted numbers of warriors and shuffled them again. The plans for feeding the new arrivals in their new home until they could hunt and garden for themselves had been made, as well as the travel provisions for the relocating Elves and the escorting warriors. We would meet in the morning with the king’s steward and butler to secure the rations. The last of the letters had been written for the call for any previous warriors who might be willing to serve. The plans were laid. Now all we needed was the cooperation of two reluctant village leaders.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List