Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

An Act of Desperation  by Shieldmaiden of Rohan

Just a couple of notes... adding to this as I need to.

First of all, I need to thank Tigerlily_Goldworthy, LadyStefania, whereismysam, quillon, Raksha the Demon, and Deandra, all of whom have had a hand in beta-reading this story at various points.

All of the Rohirric that was not originally in the text comes from the Old English dictionary at http://home.comcast.net/~modean52/oeme_dictionaries.htm. I apologize in advance if I butchered the grammar. (And if I did, please tell me so I can attempt to fix it.)

Important note: Due to some mistakes on my part in both the writing and the canon, I'm making some revisions to the story (or at least the 29 chapters posted so far.) Major changes will be posted below. 

Ch. 1 & 2--For those of you who have read this before, this may seem a little different now--I've revised this and the next chapter to bring it closer to book canon, eliminating Theodred's funeral. Reposted 3/16/07.

Ch. 4- This chapter also underwent some rather heavy revisions--the scene between Eowyn, Theoden and Gandalf was largely taken from the movies originally (mainly due to a lack of confidence in my ability to make such a conversation that she would have observed but had little part in flow with the rest of it.) However, it's in bookverse now. Some of Tolkien's word choices have been slightly altered to aid with the flow of the dialogue between his words and mine, though I mean no disrepect to the Professor and hopefully the spirit of his words still comes through. Also, many thanks to Deandra, who kindly read over this a couple times to help me get it right. Reposted 3/26/07.

Ch. 21- the information about Éowyn growing up in Aldburg comes from http://www.tuckborough.net. Faramir's ability to handle a horse is based on a statement that Beregond makes to Pippin in Return of the King that says he "can master both beasts and men".

Ch 22- the idea for Éowyn to return the starry mantle to Faramir came from Cressida, who kindly let me borrow it. Also, the herb that Mithriel gives to her is based on chamomile. This chapter also lines up with the story Distance.

Ch 27- since the more I thought about it, the less I could imagine that Aragorn would just announce to all of Gondor that Faramir would remain the Steward without his knowing, I decided I needed to deal with that before moving on to the next chapter. The resulting story is The Steward and the King. The conversation between Faramir and Eowyn in the early part of ch. 28 will make more sense, most likely, if you read that first.

Ch 28- While most of the dialogue between Aragorn and Faramir during the coronation is taken straight from Return of the King, I did alter one of Aragorn's lines slightly because the "thee" and "thy" just felt too archaic when everything else was done. My apologies to the good Professor.

Ch 29- From here until further notice, as far as things go between Eomer and Faramir, I've decided to make it consistent between this story and a previously finished one, The Best-Laid Plans. So if a resolution doesn't get laid out clearly in here, you'll find it there.





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List