Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Leaving Lórien  by shirebound

LEAVING LÓRIEN

Chapter 2 -- Aragorn

It was such a relief to be offered boats, yet the decision we must all make is just postponed.

I hope I’m making the right decisions, Gandalf, for Frodo trusts me so. How I long to accompany Boromir to Minas Tirith and help strengthen our city against the Shadow. My destiny draws me closer to Gondor -- but if Frodo will not go there, I must go with him. Boromir will soon leave us to go home, of that I have no doubt. He has been a valiant part of this Company. But that will leave only Legolas, Gimli and me to protect and conceal and feed four hobbits as we somehow approach the Black Gate. As we somehow pass into Mordor. As we somehow get Frodo to the mountain. Is there truly any hope?

How would you have done it, Gandalf? Would you call one of the eagles to carry Frodo to Mount Doom? Would you send the other hobbits to Minas Tirith with Boromir to keep them safe? Would they even go? I know Sam would not, and I suspect the others would follow Frodo to certain death in Mordor rather than be parted from him. But what can they do for him? It was so important to you that Pippin come with us, I still wonder about that. What did you know that we do not?

Boromir wants the Ring brought to Minas Tirith, it is plain. And sometimes I think that is the most logical course. But I can trust no thoughts I may have regarding the Ring of Power. Its influence on the mind and heart of Men seems always to lead to ruin. The resistance of Bilbo and Frodo to Its call takes my breath. All these long wearying years we have kept the Shire protected, at Gandalf’s bidding, laboring unknown and unthanked… did he know that such strength lay hidden in the Halflings? That it would be needed? So many things he knew. But we must now walk blindly without him.

But I am not completely in darkness. I see her everywhere. She is my light, my beacon. Be with me, my love. Lend me your infinite patience and strength. I cannot see how the end of this road may be achieved. But as long as I can see you in my heart I will not lose hope.

** TBC **





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List