Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Thwarted Desire  by Elvenesse


The Ring put forth its power, and Legolas shuddered under the malicious weight of its song. It had tried showing him his greatest desire: Mirkwood become green and whole, and his father and people released from the ever-encroaching shadow. It had shown him his people restored to the greatness of ages past.

It had shown him these things and he had turned away. He was not foolish enough to accept them, to accept that which the Wise had refused. For what was the tainted song of a circle of gold, when the ever present murmur of the trees surrounded him? Arda’s song was with him always - a pure constant note that resonated in the very depths of his being.

So it then tried to take his will by force. It showed him standing over his father’s lifeless body, with blood dripping from his hands. It twisted the true seeming of his dreams, and in them he took his father’s realm by force and became King of a land drenched in blood.

Legolas watched Aragorn turn from the Ring’s temptations, and knew that he could do no less. For it could offer him what he desired, but it could not deliver it. He would not fail his father, his family, his people. So he hardened his heart against its temptations and turned, with grim determination, to face whatever the future held.


*******

Happy Birthday Jay!

Disclaimer: Tolkien’s world and all his characters belong to Tolkien Estates, New Line Cinema, etc. This is done for the purpose of enjoyment only and I receive no money for playing in such a wonderful sandbox.





        

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List