Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Yule Fictions Past and Present  by Grey Wonderer

On The Other Foot

Merry frowned at the two objects in his hands and then blinked as if trying to decide if he was actually seeing what he appeared to be seeing.

“Put them back in the wrapping and pack them away,” Pippin suggested nervously. “I won’t say a word to anyone. You can write a lovely note to Eowyn thanking her for the Yule gift and that will be the end of it.” Pippin wrinkled up his nose and peered at the two items with obvious distaste. “It’s clear that the Lady Eowyn doesn’t understand hobbits as well as you might have believed, Cousin.”

“They feel strangely soft and it is a nice, bright pattern,” Merry said as he turned the objects over in his hands and studied them. “I do think she meant well and it must have been a fair amount of work for her.”

“Oh, I’m certain that she meant well,” Pippin said though he sounded doubtful. “And according to all of my sisters knitting is very difficult so she did go to a bit of trouble to make,’ Pippin paused and then cleared his throat. “Those things.”

“She calls them slip-pers in her note, Pippin,” Merry sighed. “It won’t harm you to use the word. No one is planning to hold you down and force them onto your feet.”

Pippin shuddered. “I should hope not!”

Merry smiled. “Eowyn is concerned about me. She says that these will help keep my feet warm on cold winter nights. She never could understand how hobbits went without shoes all of the time. Sometimes when she didn’t think I was looking, she would glance over at my feet and I could tell she was wondering about them. For some reason Hobbit feet seemed to puzzle her.” Merry shrugged and smiled. He picked up the note, which had come with the gift. “She writes, ‘Merry, I studied long and hard about what I should give you for your Yule holiday this year-“

“She didn’t study long enough,” Pippin interrupted.

Merry glared at him and then continued to read. “I know how hobbits enjoy baked goods but I was afraid that something of that sort might not arrive still fit to eat. Faramir said that it would be an ill-advised gift since nothing would be less festive than receiving stale bread or ruined sweets.”

“Faramir is correct about that,” Pippin said. “I do wish that Rohan were closer to the Shire though. As I recall, the Lady Eowyn is a very fine cook.”

“Because of this, I decided to send you something else. Faramir and Eomer advised against the gift that I selected but I am sending it in spite of them.” Merry smiled as he read this. Eowyn was such a strong-willed person. How well he remembered her determination.

Pippin opened his mouth to say something but decided against it when Merry’s smile slipped from his face and he glared at him a second time. He sat back and waited for Merry to finish reading. It was the Yule season after all and it would not be at all pleasant to spend the holiday with a grumpy Merry.

“I realize that these will be something of a novelty in your homeland but if you give them a try I think you will find them useful. Happy Yule to you and your family and please give my best to Frodo and Sam and Peregrin.” Merry stopped there and folded the note. “The rest of it is rather private.”

“Why does she insist upon calling me Peregrin?” Pippin frowned.

“The Rohirrim can be rather formal and I think she means it respectfully,” Merry grinned. “She does think that you are a prince.”

Pippin blushed. “But you explained it all to her, didn’t you?”

Merry shrugged. “I may have explained it but I suspect that she took the fact that everyone in the city of Minas Tirith was addressing you as such to be evidence of the truth of your important station.”

Now Pippin was scowling at Merry. “What do you mean when you say that you may have explained it?”

“Biscuit?” Merry asked innocently extending one of the Yule biscuit tins to Pippin.

Distracted for the moment, Pippin accepted a biscuit and Merry looked at his gift again. “I shall write to her and tell her how much I admire the pattern and thank her for her thoughtful gift,” Merry said. “They do have most of my favorite colors in them.”

“She was probably using up her bits and pieces,” Pippin said chewing his biscuit.

“Using up her what?” Merry asked.

“Well, when you’ve knitted several items you find that you have a bit of this colour and a bit of that colour left and not enough of any of the colours to make anything so you put them all together and make something that looks rather like those look,” Pippin said popping the last of the biscuit into his mouth. “Pearl calls it using up the bits and pieces and Pervinca just calls it piece work.”

“What does Nell call it?” Merry asked curiously.

Pippin grinned. “Nell never worries with it. She never has anything left. I think that’s why all of the things she makes are so large. She uses up the wool completely even if less would do.”

Merry looked at the brightly coloured slippers and said, “So in your opinion, Eowyn took the left over pieces from some of her other gifts and made mine?” Merry looked a bit hurt.

“Well, maybe she did that because she wasn’t certain what your favorite colours might be,” Pippin said trying to repair any damage he might have done. He hadn’t meant to imply that the Lady Eowyn had given Merry a cast off sort of gift but he supposed, upon reflection, his words might have come out badly. He was only trying to give Merry the benefit of his knitting expertise. Pippin didn’t knit but since all of his sisters did he felt that entitled him to express an expert opinion on the subject. He’d spent years listening to them discuss knitting. He’d worn whatever they had knitted for him no matter how it looked. That should entitle him to call himself an expert on the subject. He had been exposed to knitting all of his life!

“I guess I’ll put them away,” Merry said placing the slippers back in their wrapping. He looked far less interested in them now and while Pippin was glad that Merry was not considering anything so rash as wearing them he did feel badly for having upset Merry regarding Eowyn’s intent.

“That’s best, Merry,” Pippin said encouragingly. “You’d never explain them to anyone and you certainly can’t wear them. You remember what they used to say about Daffodil Hardgrove don’t you?”

“Daffodil Hardgrove?” Merry frowned trying to recall. The name was familiar but he couldn’t quite place it.

“Oh, Merry,” Pippin looked stunned. “You remember her. She’s that lass who is always going about wearing those mud boots.”

“Oh! I remember now,” Merry said looking horror struck. “She’s from down in the Marish and her father owns that land near the low banks of the Brandywine. It floods regularly so they always kept boots at their place.”

“Exactly!” Pippin said. “She used to come into Buckland wearing those mud boots and tromp all about the shops and everywhere. Folks used to call her Daffy Duck because of the way she walked in those boots. Odd lass, that one.”

“Never married did she?” Merry asked.

“There’s not a lad in the Shire addled enough to marry Daffy Duck,” Pippin said wrinkling his nose. “It’s all well for the big folk and dwarves to run about with their feet covered but hobbits just don’t do that sort of thing. Why if folks found out about these, sliders-“

“Slippers, Pippin,” Merry corrected slightly amused with Pippin’s efforts to seem proper. Pippin had been very careful since they’d returned from the Quest to make an effort at mature behavior. Merry and Frodo had found it rather funny at times.

“Yes, well, whatever you call them, if folks found out that you had them or that you had worn them they’d likely start calling you Merry Duck,” Pippin predicted looking a bit too pleased by that idea.

“The ones that enjoyed having all of their teeth wouldn’t,” Merry said warningly. “Besides, I seem to recall a certain hobbit lad that wanted to buy an old shoe from a junk shop in Hobbiton.”

“I was only a child then,” Pippin objected. “And I didn’t mean to wear it. I just thought it was interesting.”

“Frodo and I had to argue long and hard to keep you from buying that smelly old shoe,” Merry laughed as he recalled Pippin carting the thing all over the junk shop begging to be allowed to purchase it.

“But I wouldn’t have worn it!” Pippin said looking embarrassed.

“You tried it on,” Merry laughed again. “You tried it on and clomped all over the junk shop. I practically had to sit on you while Frodo pulled it off your foot. The shopkeeper nearly made us buy it just because you’d had the cheek to try it on.”

“Why don’t you ever recall anything about me that isn’t embarrassing?” Pippin winced.

“It isn’t my fault,” Merry said. “You were an embarrassing little child. It’s a wonder your parents kept you.”

“Well, I know better than to wear anything on my feet now,” Pippin said pointedly glancing at the slippers as he spoke. To change the subject Pippin held out another package to Merry and smiled. “This is from Sam so I am certain that he’s got you something practical. Open this one next.”

Merry looked at the package and smiled. Knowing Sam as he did, Merry suspected that Pippin was correct. This would be a practical gift. In spite of his misgivings about Eowyn’s slippers the gift had been interesting and he’d never received footwear before. Not once. At least there was still Pippin’s gift. It would not be practical. It would not be anything so different as slippers but it wouldn’t be anything useful. Pippin might object to Eowyn’s selection but his own was likely to be just as unconventional. Merry grinned and took Sam’s gift from Pippin.

*****

It was cold. The fire had gone out in the night again. Merry sighed and got up out of his warm bed to go and build a new fire. It was First Yule and he and Pippin would be expected up at Brandy Hall soon. They had opened their packages last night as was their custom but today they would open more gifts at the Hall and enjoy several large meals. Merry loved Yule and all of its traditions. He’d warm up the little house and then wake Pippin. Merry hurried across the room toward the fireplace being careful to step down only on his toes so that his whole foot would not have to be chilled.

Just before he reached the tinderbox he saw them. Eowyn’s slippers were still sitting in the wrapping on the chair in his room. Merry studied them warily for a moment and then walked over and picked them up. Did they really keep one’s feet warm? Now would most certainly be a good time to verify that fact. It was very cold and no one could see him. What would be the harm?

*****

“It’s cold in here,” Pippin said shivering and keeping his blanket wrapped about his shoulders as he entered the parlour. “I can see my breath before me.” He puffed out a long breath to illustrate the fact and then pulled the blanket closer about him.

“Well, if you’d slept just a bit longer then you would have been treated to a nice warm fire,” Merry said as he lit the kindling. “I built a fire in my room and I came in here to start one before getting you out of bed. I was planning for the warm parlour to be a bit of Yule cheer for you but here you are before the deed is done.”

“You know I can’t sleep on Yule morning,” Pippin grinned. “Even now I-“ He broke off and gasped, stepping back and nearly tripping over his blanket. “M-M-Merry, what have you got on your feet?” Pippin stared in horror at Merry’s slippered feet.

Merry shrugged. “I decided to give Eowyn’s gift a try. I think that’s only fair really.”

“What if someone comes?” Pippin looked completely astounded. “You can’t be seen running about the house in those! It isn’t the sort of thing that a proper hobbit would do, Merry!”

“Are you going to lecture me on how to behave like a proper hobbit?” Merry asked raising one eyebrow and looking amused. “You?”

“My feet aren’t covered,” Pippin said a bit defensively.

“No, and I suspect that they’re rather cold, aren’t they?” Merry smiled. He lifted one slipped foot and wiggled the toe of it at Pippin.

“No more than they usually are on a winter morning,” Pippin said. He backed up a step and grimaced.

“My feet and quite warm and toasty,” Merry said looking down at the colourful slippers. “I think I like slippers.”

“Don’t say that!” Pippin warned as if a crowd had gathered to listen.

“But I do like them, Pippin,” Merry said with a shrug. “I can’t help it. They’re warm and they’re comfortable and I like the pattern.”

“Stripes?” Pippin stared at the slippers as if he might need to hurry over and wrestle them from Merry’s feet in order to save his cousin from harm.

“Yes,” Merry said. “I like stripes. They have blue and green and yellow and white and red and brown in them and the pattern repeats itself exactly. I don’t think they were made out of left over wool. She worked out a pattern and went to the trouble of making certain that the pattern is the same on both slippers.” Merry lifted his foot again and pointed to the bottom of the slipper. “And they have that nice leather on the bottom to keep me from slipping when I walk.” Merry frowned. “I wonder why they do call them slippers if they go to the trouble of making them in such a way so that you don’t slip?”

Pippin made a choking sound. “Y-You don’t mean to wear those, those, those-“

“Slippers,” Merry supplied when it seemed as if Pippin might be stuck on that word all day without help. “Eowyn calls them slippers.”

“I don’t care what she calls them,” Pippin said looking fidgety. “You don’t mean to wear them to Brandy Hall for First Yule do you?”

“You don’t wear slippers outside,” Merry said pleased to know something about the interesting footwear. “I could pack them in my rucksack and then put them on at the Hall-‘

“You won’t will you?” Pippin frowned.

“No, I won’t,” Merry said shaking his head. “The shock of seeing me in these might kill my parents. No, I won’t be wearing them to the Hall but I do think I will be wearing them here on cold mornings so you might as well adjust to them, Pip.”

“But, Merry, those things are covering your feet!”

“I know,” Merry said. “And my feet are warm on a very cold morning for the first time that I can recall.” Merry turned and walked out of the room while Pippin stared after him. The slippers made Merry walk rather oddly. Pippin’s eyes widened. Merry was walking like a duck! Like Daffodil Hardgrove had walked! Pippin guessed that was because hobbits simply were not supposed to be wearing slippers. A thought struck him and he called out, “Merry! Do you think those, er, things might harm your feet? What if they make your foot hair fall out?”

“Go into you room and get dressed to go to the Hall, Pippin,” Merry chuckled. “Eowyn would not send me anything harmful!”

Pippin winced and walked toward his room looking very upset about it all. Merry might become attached to wearing things on his feet and then what would happen? Would Merry began wearing boots? Master’s son or not, Merry would be run out of Buckland if he started acting that oddly. This was not at all good.

*****

It was terribly cold and Pippin’s feet were like ice. He’d just come in from milking his cow and he was shivering. He cursed the fact that the fire had gone out. He knew that he should have built it up more before going out to the barn. Merry was probably still in bed sound asleep at Bag End.

Pippin had intended to visit Bag End with Merry but he’d stayed behind because he had only just returned from the Tooklands the past week. His mum had insisted on a longer visit than Pippin had planned so Merry was gone when Pippin returned home. He sat the pail of milk on the table, removed his wet coat and scarf and hurried into Merry’s room to get a jumper. He knew that Merry kept one out on the bed for early mornings. Pippin’s room was a complete mess at the moment. He’d not had time to unpack and he hadn’t wanted to do his washing so he figured that borrowing Merry’s jumper might be his best plan.

Shivering and fumbling with the jumper, Pippin pulled it over his head and was putting his arms through the sleeves when he saw them. Merry’s slippers were lying on the bed. They had been beneath the jumper. Pippin should have known that Merry wouldn’t risk taking them with him to Bag End. Frodo might have found them amusing but Sam would have been completely against them. Merry only wore them here at home. He would never wear them out where others might see him in them. Pippin looked at the slippers and then looked down at his cold feet. “No, you don’t, Peregrin Took,” he told himself. “No proper hobbit would be caught in those things. Remember Daffy Duck Hardgrove. You don’t want to end up like that.”

He backed away from the bed a few steps but in spite of his resolve he was back over there in a few seconds picking up the strange foot coverings and feeling the warm wool in his hands. He looked around a bit furtively as if he thought someone might catch him and then he put one of the slippers on. His eyes were squeezed shut and he was standing there waiting for something dreadful to happen but it didn’t. After a minute he opened his eyes and looked at the slipper curiously. His foot was warm!

*****

Merry spent a lovely week in Hobbiton with Frodo, Sam and Rose. He was concerned about Frodo’s health but his older cousin still seemed to be getting out some and although he was not his usual self there had been moments during the visit when things had seemed almost as they did before the Quest. Merry was glad to get back to Crickhollow. He had missed the little house. It was fast becoming home to him. He had even missed Pippin. He grinned. Maybe he’d tell him that. Maybe.

Merry eased into the entryway and pulled the door closed quietly. It was still very early in the morning and Pippin was likely to be in bed asleep. He didn’t want to disturb him. It was dark save the light of the fire and a lantern sitting on the desk but Merry could see Pippin stretched out on the sofa with a blanket over him. He guessed that his younger cousin had decided to take nap and had slept the night away next to the fire.

Merry walked quietly over to the desk and sat his rucksack down next to it. That was when he spotted the letter. Normally Merry didn’t read Pippin’s correspondence unless Pippin asked him to do so but a few of the words had caught his interest. He held the letter closer to the lantern light and peered at it.

Dear Eowyn,

How are you? I hope you are well and that Faramir is well also. Please give him my regards, will you? I wanted to ask a favor of you so I shall come to the point. I realize that this is rather an imposition but could you possible see your way clear to make another pair of those interesting slippers that you sent to Merry for Yule? The ones that you made him are a bit large. He likes them very much in spite of that so he would never write to you and tell you this. Merry is very close at times. I think he would be afraid of offending you and your knitting. As I have said, he likes the slippers but because they are slightly too large for him he has fallen several times. He insists on wearing them and so I thought that if you could see your way clear to send him a pair that was just a bit smaller he would be less likely to fall and hit his head on the table.

This will be our secret. If you can make some just like Merry’s and send them to me then I can sneak into his room and replace the too large ones with the ones that will fit him. He need never know about this letter. I hope I can count on you.

With warmest regards to all,

Peregrin Took, Ernil i Periannath

“Using your royal title as leverage now, Pip?” Merry whispered looking at the letter. He grinned. So the slippers are too large for me, are they? I wonder,” Merry murmured and placing the letter into his pocket, he crept over to where Pippin was sleeping. Sticking out from beneath the blanket were two slipper-clad feet. Merry smirked and turned away. Tomorrow he was going to enjoy teasing Pippin about this. Maybe he’d send Eowyn a letter of his own or perhaps….

Dear Pearl, Pimpernel, and Pervinca,
I have a bit of a problem with which I need some assistance. It seems that your younger brother has taken up the odd habit of wearing slippers. Slippers are knitted foot-coverings. I have enclosed what I think is a passable drawing of them as a sort of pattern. Don’t be too shocked. He isn’t ill but he has got it into his head that he likes having his feet covered in these strange knitted garments. Unfortunately, he recently lost the pair that he was wearing. He’s been dreadfully upset about it and as you all know, there is nothing worse than dealing with Pippin when he is agitated. I was hoping that one of you might be able to make a replacement pair using the drawing as a sort of pattern…

Merry chuckled as he wrote. Now *this* would be very amusing indeed!

The End

GW 12/09/2007

Happy Holidays to all!





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List