Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Hunt  by Manderly

See Ch. 1 for disclaimer.

Ch. 8 A New Understanding

Thranduil gently pushed open the door and slipped silently into the room. Checking in on his youngest son before joining the others for the morning meal had become a routine for the King over the past several days and Thranduil found the quiet moments spent by his sleeping son's bedside surprisingly soothing. Of course that had not been so in the immediate days following his sons' return from the fateful hunting trip when he had found himself shuttling from one injured son's bedside to the other. Even now, the all-too-clear memory of seeing his oldest and youngest being carried into the palace was enough to send renewed stabs of fear into his heart. Not for the first time, Thranduil wondered whether this heart-gripping concern for his sons' wellbeing would ever become easier to bear over the eternity of an immortal life. He very much doubted it.

He took his customary seat by the bedside and watched his sleeping son. A small smile crept across the King's face. Asleep and half-buried under his blankets, his child more than ever looked like the elfling that he once was. A wave of overwhelming love and protectiveness suddenly seized him and his heart ached with a deep bitter sweetness. How much longer could he hold onto this last child of his? Soon, he would have to step back and allow this son to venture beyond the secure cocoon that he and the others had so lovingly built over the years. It was only a matter of time before his last child would face the world on his own, and time was something that not even Thranduil could control.

There was a slight stirring of blankets and sleepy blue eyes peered at him from under half-open lids.

"Hello, Adar," Legolas said with a wisp of a smile.

Thranduil leaned over and kissed him gently on the forehead. "Good morning, Legolas. How are you feeling today?"

The smile widened somewhat. "Much better, Adar. I think I am ready to join you in the dining room this morning."

Thranduil frowned. "Kala has not said that you can move about yet."

Legolas pushed the blankets away and sat up in the bed. "I am fine, Adar. It has been too long since I have left this room. It is beginning to feel like a prison. Besides, Aldeon has been allowed out of his room for days now and his injuries were more serious than mine."

"Aldeon did not suffer an infection as you did," Thranduil reminded. "He is nearly healed, and you are only beginning to heal. And Aldeon certainly knows his own limitations much more than you know yours."

Legolas frowned. "But the infection is now gone and I should learn to use my muscles again before they become permanently lazy." He looked pleadingly at his father. "Feren and Tavaro are leaving later today to return to patrol. I would like to at least share a meal with them before they go. Please, Adar?"

Thranduil sighed. "I suppose if I stop you now, you will find a way to sneak out to say good-bye to them in any event. I would rather have you move about under my supervision. Very well, you may join us. I will help you get ready."

"Adar! I believe I am of an age that I can dress myself," Legolas protested indignantly.

Thranduil regarded him unblinkingly. "And risk breaking those stitches? Are you certain you are prepared to spend another week in this bed? Now sit still and I will bring you some water to wash with."

"Are you going to bathe me as well?" Legolas asked rather insolently.

Thranduil turned and looked at him. "If you continue to be so impertinent, I will do more than bathe you. I will have Kala ply you with teas that will keep you in bed for a month."

Kala had been doing that for days already, Legolas thought grumpily to himself but managed nevertheless to look a little shame-faced. "I am sorry, Adar. I do not mean to be impertinent. I am just tired of staying in bed. I do not like being so helpless."

Thranduil returned to the chair that he had so recently vacated and sat down. He reached out and brushed back his son's sleep-tousled hair. "I know it has been trying on you the past week. It has not been easy for the rest of us either. However, Kala assures me that you are on the mend. Be patient and allow yourself the time to heal. Your body will be grateful to you if you do."

Legolas did manage to wash himself in some fashion, but had to resign himself to his father's help in dressing and in the brushing and braiding of his hair. His shoulder pained him inordinately still and any movement, however slight, only aggravated the injury. His mind wandered back to the immediate days after their less than eminent return from the hunt and suppressed an inward shudder. Though the healer had kept him in a merciful drug-induced sleep for much of the time, the intense pain and the ravages of fever brought on by the festering wounds had been inescapable during his brief bouts of wakefulness. And the draining of the infection had been excruciating. It was not something that he wished to experience again, if at all.

"What is it, Legolas?" Thranduil paused in the brushing of the hair that so resembled his own. He had felt his child's sudden unease. "Are you in pain?"

Legolas shook his head. "I am just glad that I am finally healing. I had not known that a wolf's bite could be so painful."

"It is fortunate that the wolf was not diseased or you may have suffered more than an infection, though that was certainly bad enough," Thranduil said as he resumed braiding the bright hair, his lips tightening in sudden grimness. Yes, his son had been very fortunate indeed to come out of the ordeal with merely an infection. Thranduil dared not allow himself to dwell on what might have been.

"Adar? Why do you think the wolves attacked us? Is it not rare for them to attack without provocation?" Legolas asked, voicing the question that had been plaguing him since his confrontation with the creatures.

"I do not know, Legolas. It is true that wolves do not generally attack unless they or their young are threatened. Perhaps the landslide affected them in a way that is beyond our understanding," Thranduil said.

Legolas suddenly tensed and turned to look at his father. "Their young? Do you think perhaps their den was buried by the landslide? Perhaps they had their young in the buried den and they assumed that Aldeon and I were somehow responsible simply because we were there?"

Thranduil returned his son's look thoughtfully. "You may be correct, but that is something only the wolves themselves know. We can only guess at the reasons behind their attack."

Legolas frowned. "I had not wished to kill them, and if they were only trying to protect their young --"

Thranduil pulled him into a gentle embrace. "You were trying to protect Aldeon. You had no choice but to confront them. Though we do not condone the indiscriminate killing of the creatures of the forest, we also must look to our own survival first. If one has to choose between the life of an animal and the life of an elf, then there really is no choice at all. You did what you had to do, Legolas, and I want you to know that I am very proud of what you have done. You saved your brother's life, and that is no inconsequential feat. It is unfortunate that the wolves had to be killed, but I would much prefer their death than that of Aldeon's, or yours." Thranduil pulled back a little and smiled at his son. "You have done no wrong, Legolas, so dwell on this no longer. Besides, I think Aldeon feels enough guilt already for what he perceives as an unforgivable failure in his duties as an older brother. And if he learns that you are feeling guilt over the killing of the wolves, then that will only add to his already heavy burden."

Legolas frowned. "Aldeon seems to feel that he is solely responsible for my being injured by the wolves, but he fails to see that it was he who saved my life when he threw me out of harm's way when the earth began to slide underneath us. We both would have been buried if not for his quick action and then we would have been at the total mercy of the wolves."

Thranduil smiled. "Perhaps you should tell your brother that then."

Legolas sighed. "I have, many times, but I cannot convince him. He is very stubborn, you know."

Thranduil's smile broadened. "I believe that is trait of all my sons." The King stood up and held out a hand to his son. "We should make our way to the dining room or your brothers will be wondering whether I have overslept."

Legolas thought of the sleepless nights that his father had spent by his bedside and suddenly grinned at the King. "Do you even sleep, Adar?"

Thranduil raised a brow. "Once in a while, I do, though I am beginning to believe that there is an ongoing conspiracy to keep me from my bed. If you and your brothers can promise me that you will all stay out of harm's way, then perhaps sleep and I may become more constant companions."

Legolas smiled as he hooked his arm through that of his father. "You will worry in any event, whether we promise or not."

"Aye, I believe you are right, my child," Thranduil said dryly. "It is one of the many privileges of being a parent."

*****

The look of surprised pleasure on his brothers' faces when they saw him entering the dining room was enough to make Legolas forget the aches of his healing wounds. He returned each of their embraces with equal warmth before taking his seat beside Aldeon.

"Should you be up yet, Legolas?" Aldeon asked him worriedly as he scrutinized the younger elf's every move. "Your fever only broke but two days ago."

"I am fine, Aldeon. And if I have to stay in that bed one more day, my legs will not remember how to walk at all. How is your head? Do you still have headaches? And where are your crutches?"

Aldeon smiled at the onslaught of inquiries from his young brother. "The headaches are nearly gone and Kala has pronounced that my foot no longer needs the aid of crutches. How is your shoulder? Does it pain you still?"

"I do not think I will be using my bow any time soon," Legolas admitted ruefully. "It only hurts if I move it too much, otherwise, it bothers me but a little."

"Go on, Aldeon, you have not asked the bratling about the wound on his leg yet," Tavaro said with a grin. "We may as well get the complete picture before we settle down to tending our hungry stomachs."

Aldeon laughed. "All right, let us eat then. I believe Tavaro is hungry, as he so subtly reminds us."

"You and Legolas may be on an invalid's schedule, but Feren and I have to report for duty soon. There is a long day before us," Tavaro said cheerfully.

"I wish you and Feren do not have to leave so soon," Legolas said unhappily. "I was hoping that we may spend some time together yet."

"I wish we have more time too, but we have already extended our leave and must be getting back," Feren said. "Other warriors await their leave as well."

"Feren and I cannot stay away from duty for too long, Legolas. The orcs and spiders will miss us. Even now they must be at a complete loss as to why they have not been hounded mercilessly these past two weeks," Tavaro said as he helped himself to more porridge.

"Tavaro, I hardly think that is a matter to speak so lightly of," Feren said, frowning.

"Be at ease, Feren. We are with family, not preparing the warriors for battle," Tavaro said cheerfully. He winked at Legolas. "Besides, after all these years, the bratling already knows what we do while on patrol. There is no need to be delicate when we speak of our duties around him anymore."

Legolas grinned and felt an overwhelming fondness for this one brother. If not for Tavaro, his knowledge of what was taking place outside these palace walls would be scant and pathetic indeed.

"All the same, Tavaro, I would prefer that we speak of other matters while at the dinner table," Thranduil said quietly.

Tavaro caught Legolas' eyes and winked again. "This porridge is very good indeed. I have not tasted such fine porridge in a long while. The cooks have truly outdone themselves this morning."

Legolas was the first one to burst into laughter, followed closely by his other brothers. Even Thranduil found it hard to repress his own chuckle. Watching the smiling faces around the table, Thranduil thought how truly blessed he was to be the father to these four brothers. No amount of gold or precious jewels could ever take precedence or outweigh the love that he would always have for his beloved sons. Very few outside of the Woodland Realm knew of the true nature of the treasure in his possession, Thranduil thought with a small smile, and he was perfectly willing to leave it so.

********

Tavaro released his brother from his embrace and stood back with a grin. "Now bratling, try not to get into any further misdeeds. I believe you have traumatized Adar sufficiently for the next little while. Besides, I will not be around to pull your sorry backside from whatever trouble you manage to stir up."

Legolas returned the grin. "You are just concerned that you might miss out on whatever excitement I might conjure up."

Tavaro laughed and cuffed his brother gently on the head. "There is that too. Write me often, bratling, for I shall miss you."

Legolas nodded. "I will, Tavaro." He grasped his brother lightly by the arm. "Do not let the orcs and spiders catch you unaware. I like my brothers the way they are now, with all their limbs and wits intact."

Tavaro gave his brother's bright hair another fond ruffle before turning to bid his father and oldest brother good-bye.

Legolas turned to his other brother and smiled, almost shyly. "Good-bye, Feren. I wish you a safe patrol."

Feren pulled his younger brother into his arms. "Good-bye, Legolas."

Legolas closed his eyes briefly, relishing in the feel of his brother's strong arms that encircled him. He had come to appreciate this warm sense of security so much more since that unsettling night on the hillside.

"Be easy on yourself until your wounds are fully healed," Feren said as he reluctantly released his brother.

Legolas nodded. "I will, Feren, I promise." He looked at his brother with all seriousness. "I know you are very capable, but I hope you take care too, Feren. I know you face much danger when you are on patrol."

"I will take care, and I will make certain that Tavaro takes care as well," Feren promised solemnly. He hesitated and then reached out to grasp his brother lightly on the arm. "I have not told you before, Legolas, but I want you to know that I thought you conducted yourself very courageously and very admirably in the way you protected Aldeon. You have all the courage and instincts of a warrior."

Legolas flushed at his brother's words and a broad smile spread across his face. "Thank you, Feren. You have no idea what your words mean to me."

Something close to a grimace flashed across the older elf's face as he drew Legolas into another embrace. Did his approval really mean that much to Legolas? Thinking back rapidly, he was distressed to realize that words of praise coming from him had been rare indeed. Guilt flooded through him. "I am sorry, Legolas. I know I may be difficult with you at times, but it is only because I wish to keep you from harm."

Legolas tightened his arms around the other. "I know that, Feren and I can even appreciate it now." He drew back slightly and smiled a little ruefully. "I know now that it is not easy being responsible for someone else's wellbeing. I am not certain whether I am ready to carry on such a burden yet.""

Feren smiled. "Perhaps this hunting trip had its value after all." He reached out and touched his brother's bright head gently. "Everything takes time, Legolas. One cannot hope to reach the apex in one leap. Far better to take small cautious steps and get there safely than not at all."

Legolas let out a long breath. "You are telling me to be patient, are you not?"

Feren's smile broadened. "I am certain that I am not the first one to do so."

Legolas grinned in return. "Nor will you be the last." A sudden recollection pricked his memory and the smile quickly disappeared. "Feren, there is something I have to tell you. After hearing what I have to say, you may wish to withdraw your praise."

"What is it, Legolas?"

"I - I fell asleep while watching over Aldeon after I pulled him from the rocks. It was not what a good warrior would have done in any circumstance," Legolas said in a very low voice, his eyes unable to meet those of his brother. "It was a disgraceful neglect of duty."

Feren regarded his young brother for a long moment before lifting the other's downcast face with a gentle hand. "You were injured, Legolas. There is only so much that one can do. It is no disgrace, little brother. Even a seasoned warrior could not have done more. My praise stands."

Legolas looked at his brother with renewed hope alight in his eyes. "Then you do not think that I failed in my duty?"

Feren shook his head and smiled. "Indeed not." He leaned forward and planted a light kiss on his brother's forehead. "Good-bye, Legolas."

Legolas stood with his father and oldest brother and watched the train of warriors make their way down the well-trodden path and eventually disappeared from sight. Suddenly he felt a sense of foreboding that he had not felt before when he had bid his brothers farewell on previous occasions.

"Feren and Tavaro will be all right, will they not?" he turned and asked his father anxiously. "It is not a dangerous patrol, is it?"

Thranduil sensed his son's fear and though he could not be certain of the reason behind the sudden unease, he thought the hunting expedition had affected Legolas more than he had so far admitted. He lay a gentle hand across his son's shoulder. "There is always an element of danger to all patrols, but Feren and Tavaro are experienced warriors and know how to take care of themselves. You need not worry for them."

Legolas frowned. "There is so much unexpected danger out there."

Thranduil raised one elegant brow. "I am glad you have finally come to realize that. Now do you understand why I do not wish you wandering the forests on your own?"

Legolas continued to frown, but did not answer his father's question. "I hope they will return safely."

"As do I," his father said softly. "Come, you are looking tired and should return to bed to rest. Kala will be less than pleased if you over-extend yourself."

"Adar, I will accompany Legolas to his chamber," Aldeon offered. "You must have much work awaiting your attention."

Thranduil sighed. "I do indeed. Very well, I will leave Legolas in your care. You must remember that you too are convalescing, Aldeon."

Aldeon smiled. "I will rest should I need it. Come, Legolas."

Legolas accepted his father's parting embrace with an exasperated sigh. "I do know the way to my own chamber, you know."

Aldeon said cheerfully, "Of course you do, but I was hoping that you would like my company."

Legolas graced his brother a rather sheepish smile. "You know I always like your company, Aldeon."

Once back in his chamber, Legolas eased himself between the sheets without even a token protest. He was tired and his shoulder was beginning to ache. Perhaps he was not quite ready yet to venture far from his bed.

'Aldeon, stop fussing," Legolas said as his brother once again smoothed the sheets. "I promise I will stay in this bed."

Aldeon smiled. "It is my turn to look after you, Legolas, though I doubt I can outdo what you did for me when we were on that hillside."

"Aldeon, I did no more than what you would have done for me had it been me trapped under the rocks," Legolas said, his voice taking on a serious tone. "You are not responsible for my injuries. The wolves did that, so stop blaming yourself for something that is beyond your control."

Aldeon shook his head. "Had I know how serious your injuries were, I would have never allowed you pull me all that way in that litter. You could have harmed yourself irreparably and for that I cannot help but feel the guilt."

"But I am all right now, Aldeon," Legolas protested. "Bearing guilt as you do now does not quicken my healing. Please, Aldeon, dwell on this no more. I have no regret for what I have done and if I have to do it all over again, I would do so without hesitation. You claim your right to protect me, but do not forget that I too have that same right when it concerns my brothers, all my brothers. I will never stand by if any one of you is in danger. Never."

Aldeon regarded the resolute young face and once again felt that now familiar pride. Slowly, he smiled. "Thank you, Legolas. I accept your offer of protection then with the deepest gratitude."

Legolas suddenly flushed. "I know my abilities are limited and therefore can offer little by way of protection, but I offer it nevertheless from my heart."

Aldeon bent down and placed a kiss on his brother's forehead. "Do not belittle yourself, Legolas, for you have proven yourself to be more than capable in the face of danger. I owe my life to you and for that, I am forever grateful."

Legolas smiled sleepily. "Warriors look after one another, Aldeon. I was merely doing what would be expected of me eventually. I will join Feren and Tavaro some day, you know."

Aldeon watched thoughtfully as his brother's eyes began to lose focus. "Aye, no doubt you will, little one. No doubt you will. I hope we will both be ready when that day comes."

THE END

Well, this is the end to another story. It is shorter than my other stories but I hope you enjoyed it nevertheless. I really want to thank each of you for reading it and especially those who took the time to send me their much appreciated comments. They are very encouraging and I greatly treasure them. Thank you!






<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List