Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Hunt  by Manderly

See Ch. 1 for disclaimer.

Ch. 5 A Very Long Night

The first sign indicating that the wolves were not going to leave peacefully was their deep-throated growling. It was not loud, but the unmistakable threat was there and Legolas' body tightened in nervous anticipation. Slowly, he straightened, his knives gripped firmly in his fingers.

"Legolas?" Aldeon had also heard the growls in spite of the overwhelming pain. He desperately tried to keep his brother in focus.

"It is all right, Aldeon. I will not let them come near you," Legolas said quietly. He was surprised by the calmness in his own voice.

"Legolas, if they should attack, save yourself. Get yourself up a tree and stay there," Aldeon said, trying to concentrate through the haze of pain. "I can fend for myself."

"I will not leave you, Aldeon," Legolas said curtly. "Save your breath." He reached down to his boot and pulled out his dagger, which he pressed into his brother's hand. "I will keep them away, but just in case if one slips by me, I do not want you to be totally defenseless." He gripped his brother's hand briefly. "I will drive them away, Aldeon. Do not worry."

Aldeon was more than worried, but he also knew that there was little that he could do. Trapped as he was, he was in no position to lend aid to his brother against the wolves, even if his head was not pounding in a way that threatened to obliterate his remaining senses. If he had the strength, he would have cried out against the all-consuming sense of helplessness that had such a firm hold on him.

As he watched his little brother edge away from him, he could only caution, "Take care, Legolas."

Legolas made no attempt to acknowledge his brother's warning as he was too intent on watching out for any sudden moves from the wolf pack. As he eased himself forward, he wished again that he had his bow with him. He could easily take out two, perhaps three, of the creatures from this distance before they could spring into their attack. He pressed his lips into a thin line. If they were to attack, he did not want them anywhere close to where his brother laid trapped. And he silently prayed to the Valar that the fighting, if there was going to be fighting, would not set off another landslide which could end it for all of them, beasts and elves alike.

He edged closer to the pack. The growls grew louder, sounding even more menacing.

He came to a stop. Without glancing back, he judged that he was sufficiently far away from where his brother was that there would be no immediate danger to Aldeon should the wolves attack. He also knew that it would take but seconds for one or more of the creatures to spring pass him and prey upon his brother. He did not intend for that to happen so long as he was still able to wield his knives.

Even before this last thought flitted across his mind, two of the wolves sprang. Without hesitation, Legolas sprinted forward and met them straight on with his knives. He could feel the impact of their bodies as they rammed against his knives and felt the hot blood soaking his arms as his knives found their mark.

Legolas glided back a few paces as his eyes darted between the two bloody carcasses on the ground and the other six that continued to watch him with undisguised feral menace. Two detached themselves from the pack and advanced slowly toward him from different directions. They seemed to have learned from their deceased companions that to spring forward blindly against the hunter would more likely than not end in instant death.

Legolas eyed their approach warily and tried to determine which was the more aggressive one that needed to be dealt with first. Out of the corner of his eyes, he saw that two other wolves had also began to advance toward him and his heart tightened with fear at the thought of having to fight four of these beasts all at once. He prayed fervently that the remaining two would stay in their place, at least for the time being. He did not think he could fight all six creatures and still come out as the victor.

His eyes caught sight of a small movement and his knives swept out in opposing arcs. But even as his knives found their mark, another creature sprang forward and caught him squarely on his back, sending him crashing to the rocky ground and one knife clattering uselessly from him. In an instant, the fourth wolf pounced on his leg and the powerful jaws snapped shut on his thigh. He bit back a cry against the flashing pain and managed to sweep out his knife again and buried it deep into the body of the attacking creature. At the same time, the wolf on his back sank its fangs into his shoulder and this time he could not contain his cry of pain even though he knew how it would affect his brother.

From where he laid helplessly trapped by the rock, Aldeon tried to see what was happening to his brother. Squinting his eyes against the throbbing pain in his temple, he watched in breathless fear as the wolves sprang into attack. When Legolas cried out in pain, Aldeon was nearly beside himself with helpless anguish. He pulled frantically at his trapped leg, heedless of the pain he was causing himself. The wolves were going to tear his little brother to death! He must stop it! The rock refused to budge and he fell back with a half-sob, defeated by pain and the dead weight on his foot. He looked again and saw that the wolf was still atop of Legolas.

"No!" he cried out against what was happening to his brother and against his own hateful helplessness.

Even in the midst of his own pain and struggle, Legolas heard his brother's cry and panic seized him. The other wolves must be attacking Aldeon! Blind fear lent him strength that he thought he no longer had and he reached up with both hands and pulled at the creature that was clamped so painfully to his shoulder. The tearing pain was excruciating and for a brief second his sight failed him. No! Aldeon was in danger! He had to save his brother!. With another surge of strength, he yanked ruthlessly at the beast and this time, it finally released its agonizing grip on his shoulder and Legolas threw the growling beast away with his remaining strength. The wolf landed with a whinnying impact and rolled instantly to its feet, bearing its bloody fangs as it readied itself for another attack.

Gritting his teeth against the searing pain, Legolas yanked the knife that he had buried in the other wolf and sprang at the threatening beast with matching ferocity. His knife swept down in a deadly arc. The wolf dropped without a sound.

Heaving with exertion and pain, Legolas looked up quickly from where he knelt and caught sight of the two remaining wolves. He nearly wept with relief then. They had not attacked his brother after all! Aldeon was safe!

With a gasping effort, Legolas pushed himself upright and faced the two wolves with his remaining knife. Silently he pleaded with them to leave. He did not wish to kill any more this night.

For an interminable moment or two, elf and wolves maintained their uneasy standoff with one another. Then at last, the predatory stance of the two wolves relaxed and the creatures whined, not so much in defeat as in acknowledgement that they too wished no further bloodshed this night. With a final look at the bloody remains of their former companions, the two wolves turned and disappeared quickly into the darkness of the night.

The moment that the beasts were gone, Legolas collapsed to his knees, his breaths coming in great sobs. Tremours shook him and his heart threatened to leap from his chest, so furiously it pounded. He felt exhausted beyond measure but there was no time for him to rest yet. Aldeon awaited his help.

Using his knife for support, he pushed himself upright once again and shakily retrieved the other knife that had been driven from his hand when the wolf had jumped on him.

"Legolas!" It was Aldeon calling him. There was pure panic in his voice.

Legolas forced himself to quicken his steps to his brother. "I am here, Aldeon." He knelt down slowly by his brother. "The wolves are gone now. We are safe."

"Are you hurt? There is much blood on you," Aldeon said, his voice shaking. "Did they hurt you? I heard you cry out."

Legolas shook his head wearily. "I am fine, Aldeon. They are mere scratches. The blood belongs to the wolves. Be still now and rest. I am going to remove that rock from your foot."

Once again, Legolas removed as much dirt as he could from beneath the rock that trapped his brother's foot still and wedged the branch into the confined space. His efforts took much longer this time as his wearied and torn muscles protested any movement at all let alone such great exertion. When the rock at long rolled aside, both he and Aldeon cried out at the same time, he from his gasping effort and the latter from pain.

"I am sorry, Aldeon," Legolas said as he cupped his brother's face with a shaking hand. "I did not mean to cause you more pain."

Aldeon laid his own hand on top of his brother's. "It is all right. The foot hurts, but at least I am free now. We should move away from here now."

Legolas shook his head. "Let me tend to your foot first. If it is broken, you should not move it."

"We cannot wait here indefinitely, Legolas," Aldeon protested.

"I know. Let me check your foot before we decide on anything," Legolas insisted.

Wearily, Aldeon nodded and lay back against the rubble. He felt his boot being removed gently and he fought from crying out loud. But as his brother began probing the injured foot, he could not stop the gasps of pain from escaping through hard-pressed lips.

"I am sorry, Aldeon," Legolas said apologetically, watching his brother's face with concern. "I do not think it is broken for I can feel no broken bones, but your ankle is badly swollen. I will splint it just in case it is more than a sprain."

"Thank you, Legolas," Aldeon said wearily and closed his eyes. The pounding in his head had not lessened though he could sense that the bleeding had stopped. He desperately wanted to sleep. The next thing he heard was his brother calling out to him.

"Aldeon, we can move away from here now if you are ready," Legolas said.

Aldeon blinked and tried to focus on the face before him.

"Aldeon?" Legolas was becoming alarmed at the seemingly dazed look on his brother's face.

"I am all right. Help me up," Aldeon at last said.

Legolas draped one of his brother's arms around his own shoulder while he wrapped a supporting arm around his brother's waist. Slowly the brothers came to a standing position with Aldeon leaning heavily on the younger elf. The bite wounds on Legolas' shoulder and thigh burned fiercely with pain but Legolas refused to give into it. He must first tend to his brother's more serious injuries. Anything else would have to wait.

They had not made more than few wobbly steps when Aldeon was suddenly sick. Collapsing to his knees, he heaved and gagged as his head exploded with pain. Legolas had been pulled down to his knees by his brother's heavier weight, but he maintained his supporting grip on his brother as Aldeon continued to retch.

When it was at last over, Aldeon collapsed limply into his arms.

"Aldeon? Please stay awake! Aldeon?" He shook his brother gently but Aldeon's eyes remained alarmingly shut. Feeling as if he was ready to collapse himself, Legolas rested his own head helplessly against that of his brother and fought back the threatening tears. "Please awaken, Aldeon, please. I do not know whether I can do this by myself."

For several long moments, he stayed there on his knees, cradling the now unresponsive Aldeon and wishing for his other brothers to appear miraculously to share this burden. But Feren and Tavaro did not appear and it was still up to him to get Aldeon to safety. He drew in a deep breath in an attempt to renew his dwindling strength and resolve.

Gently supporting his brother's lolling head with one arm, he slipped his other arm under his brother's knees and straightened slowly. He nearly buckled under his brother's dead weight and it took several tottering steps before he found his precarious balance. All his muscles screamed out at the effort and the blood pounded in his head. He did not think he could take more than ten steps carrying the weight of his brother, but somehow he staggered on, digging his heels deep into the earth with every step to prevent slippage. With each tortured step, he expected to tumble headfirst down the slope, dragging his unconscious brother in his tow. Several times he had to stop to catch his breath and steady his shaking legs, but he did not set Aldeon down. He was not sure whether he had the strength to pick up his brother again had he done so.

The ground beneath his feet became firmer, but still he dared not stop. He had set his sight on a small stand of trees further down the slope and he was determined to take his brother there. He needed to feel the security of being among the trees again, and even that meager grove of lofty shadows would provide a certain haven for the balance of this night.

After an eternity, he at last reached his destination. His knees did buckle then and he collapsed to the ground, still gripping his brother's inert body close to his chest. Despite his best efforts, he was certain that he must have jarred his brother painfully and could only hope that Aldeon's injuries would not be worsened by the impact.

For several minutes, he was incapable of doing anything but gasp for breath as his severely strained muscles trembled with pain and near shock. He wished desperately to collapse down beside his brother and lose himself to much-needed rest, but he knew he could not give in to his own needs yet. He must first retrieve his pack and quiver and then tend to his brother's injuries. As he wearily got to his feet, he hoped he had sufficient healing supplies in his pack as his brother's pack was lost and buried somewhere in the rocky rubbish further up the hill. More importantly, he hoped his skin of water was still attached to his pack and intact. He did not wish to leave his brother alone by himself while he searched for a source of water.

xxxx

His fingers nearly numbed with weariness, he tied off the ends of the bandage that now wound around his brother's head. He sat back and watched Aldeon's face worriedly. The gash was long and ragged and quite deep. Already the surrounding skin was marred and discoloured by a spreading bruise. He hoped what ministrations he had rendered were sufficient until he could get his brother to a healer. Aldeon's continued unconsciousness made his stomach tighten with increasing fear. His repeated attempts to wake his brother so far had been unsuccessful.

He leaned back against the trunk of the tree in numb exhaustion, too tired even to tend to his own wounds. In any event, he had exhausted his meager healing supply while tending to Aldeon. The bite wounds throbbed incessantly but in some perverse way, he was grateful for the constant pain as it kept him from succumbing to sleep. Sleep was not an option, no matter how tempting it may be in his exhausted state. He needed to keep watch over his brother. Looking about him at the surrounding darkness, he felt desperately alone and more than a little frightened and wished again that his other brothers were here to assure him that all would be well.

TBC






<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List