Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Hunt  by Manderly

Disclaimer: Some characters are obviously borrowed from Tolkien; the others are created from my own imagination.

This story takes place before "From Princeling to Warrior"

Ch. 1 Brothers

Legolas' gaze swept over the small clearing, taking in the sight of his brothers as they set up camp for the night with a minimal of fuss, and felt again the familiar surge of excitement coursing through his veins. The sensation was oddly pleasing, though he took care to suppress the small telltale shiver that would bring forth his brothers' immediate attention, and the inevitable teasing thereafter.

Yes, he was more than excited to be on this hunting trip with his brothers, but it would not do for them to know how excited he actually was. After all, if he was old enough to join them on a hunting trip, then he was certainly mature enough to keep in check his giddiness over the prospect of hunting along side seasoned warriors. And his brothers were definitely seasoned warriors, he thought a little wistfully and with a great deal of jealousy. He was, however, determined to win their respect over the course of this trip, and in particular, their belated acknowledgement that their youngest brother was no longer the elfling that they held him to be.

An elfling! He had long passed the age of an elfling, though to his great misfortune and chagrin, there were no other elves in his adar's stronghold whose age was close enough to his years for there to be any meaningful comparison. If he did nothing to change his brothers' misguided perception of him, he was doomed to be an elfling in their eyes for the rest of his immortal life. And that was not a fate that he would resign himself to, for if he could not convince his brothers of his progressing maturity, then there was no hope at all of his adar ever seeing the light. He swallowed an inward sigh. How was it that his adar could be such an observant and astute ruler of the Woodland Realm, and yet be so blind to the changes in his own son?

"Do you intend to stand there for the balance of the night with your armful of kindling, bratling? I for one am famished and long for greater substance than this fine spring air that we are fortunate enough to inhale."

A familiar voice prodded Legolas out of his reverie and he grinned sheepishly at Tavaro who was watching him with a bemused smile of his own. "Sorry, Tavaro, I was thinking about something."

"Ah, you were thinking. No wonder it took such concentration. What misdeed are you up to now?" Tavaro asked cheerfully as he set about building the fire for their evening meal.

"Misdeed? Have I not been the model of good behaviour thus far?" Legolas feigned injured pride.

Tavaro frowned. "Hmm, your idea of good behaviour is rather debatable. But as there has been no dire catastrophe as of yet, your behaviour so far is acceptable, and that is what is so worrisome. Such good behaviour cannot possibly last. And being the impatient elf that I am, I would much prefer that you disrupt this model of good behaviour, as you call it, sooner than later. I cannot help but feel like one without sight, awaiting some disaster to befall him."

Legolas laughed. "I hate to disappoint you, Tavaro, but I do not intend to behave any differently than I have thus far on this hunt. Your anxious anticipation therefore is for naught. I do not scheme to bring on catastrophes, regardless of what you may think."

Tavaro observed his younger brother with a raised brow and half-smile. "Perhaps you do not scheme, but you do have a natural tendency to ensnare yourself in situations that do little for our peace of mind. And I cannot even begin to dwell on what you do to Adar and his state of mind."

Legolas frowned a little and then grinned. "Salque says that the constant challenges that I present to Adar keeps him properly alert and therefore eternally youthful."

Tavaro let out a bark of laughter. "I am certain that Adar would beg to differ. Salque has been under your influence for too long as he is beginning to view things through your eyes. It is a good thing that Adar sees that he is given leave from you on regular intervals or there will be no salvation for him."

"Tavaro, is our evening meal not ready yet?" Aldeon asked as he joined his two brothers by the fireside.

"He is far too busy in making me into a creature more fearsome than a Balrog," Legolas said as he made room on the fallen log for his oldest brother.

"Are you giving Legolas a difficult time, Tavaro?" Aldeon asked with a knowing smile.

"The reason that our evening meal is delayed is because the bratling here was tardy in bringing the firewood. I had these rabbits cleaned and spitted long before he decided to wander back with the kindling," Tavaro said. "As for giving brothers a difficult time, I thought it was Legolas' exclusive right to do so."

Legolas immediately turned to Aldeon. "Now do you see what I mean?"

Aldeon laughed and pulled his young brother into a fond embrace. "Was it not but days ago that you were complaining to me that you missed Tavaro's teasing?"

"I thought I did, but he has not let up the teasing since he returned from patrol a full week ago. I think he misses teasing me more than I miss his teasing," Legolas said rather dryly.

Tavaro laughed. "Of course I miss teasing you, Legolas, for I have no one else to tease. Can you imagine me trying to rouse Feren in such a manner? I would get a greater response from a piece of waybread."

"And you are fortunate that I am your brother on this trip and not your commanding officer," Feren had materialized seemingly out of nowhere and sat himself down beside the brother who had just slighted him so cheerfully. "For a comment like that, I would have you attend to dish cleaning duties for a straight month, officer or not."

Legolas looked with bright eyes from one brother to the other. "Have you ever punished him so, Feren?"

Feren cocked a brow at his brother. "Should I tell him, Tavaro?"

"Certainly not! I would hate to shatter the image that Legolas has of me as anything but a fearsome warrior. And fearsome warriors do not clean dishes. They direct other lesser warriors to such mundane tasks." Tavaro was sufficiently indignant as he carefully turned the cooking rabbits.

Legolas grinned. "I believe I know the answer without Feren having to voice it."

Tavaro turned to his younger brother with a responding grin. "You never used to doubt my word before, Legolas."

"That was when I was but an elfling, young and impressionable. I have since learned to glean truth from fanciful words." Legolas' smile grew wider.

Tavaro looked to his two older brothers in despair. "I believe our little brother is growing out of our grasp which is a frightening thing indeed."

"Why is it a frightening thing?" Legolas asked. "I cannot remain an elfling forever. I would have thought that it should please you all that I no longer need someone to breathe down my back to ensure my survival."

His brothers looked at one another and were at a loss for words. It was Tavaro who broke the silence in the end. "I believe, little brother, that it is a matter of our survival that prompts us to breathe down your back. I do not mind dying in battle for the sake of our realm, but I do object to dying of fright because a certain princeling cannot recognize danger even when it screams in his face."

This time, Legolas did not have to feign injured pride. "It seems then that I have been a burden to you all, for which I apologize. Perhaps you would all lead a much more peaceful life had I not been born."

"Oh Legolas!" Aldeon once more drew his young brother into an embrace. "Tavaro is merely teasing, again. Is that not so, Tavaro?"

Tavaro reached over and ruffled his younger brother's hair and Legolas swatted at the offending hand with undisguised irritation. Tavaro laughed good-naturedly. "If you are a burden, then it is a burden that we have learned to love and cannot do without. You do frighten me witless at times with your countless antics, bratling, as I am sure you do to your other brothers and Adar, but we love you no less for it."

Legolas continued to frown at him.

"I believe there is a measure of truth to Tavaro's words, Legolas," Feren spoke quietly. "Your actions at times do leave something to be desired. Though I do not believe you intentionally behave so to cause us worry, we worry nevertheless."

Aldeon's arm remained across his young brother's shoulder. "We all worry for each other, for we are family. I recall, Tavaro, that you did not lack your share of antics in your youthful days and were often enough a cause for worry for Adar."

It was Tavaro's turn to frown. "Must you dredge up my ignoble past, Aldeon? Besides, how do we ever hope to impress our word upon Legolas if you forever jump to his aid?"

Aldeon laughed. "I have jumped to your aid often enough in the past when Adar tried to impress his word on you. Come, let us speak of lighter matters. This is the first night of our hunting trip and the first time that we are joined by Legolas. We should be taking joy in each other's company as it is not often enough that all four of us can be together."

Tavaro tore off a generous piece of the sizzling rabbit and held it out to Legolas. "I recall that a certain brother of mine has a great fondness for my culinary skills. Peace, Legolas?"

Legolas could not help but smile and took the offering from his brother. "Thank you, Tavaro. I have not forgotten that journey."

Tavaro also smiled. "Nor have I. It has been the source of fond memories and nightmares in equal parts, and I do not need to explain to you why that is the case."

Legolas' smile broadened. "For my part, it has mostly been fond memories. I had not the responsibility that you carried as an older sibling."

"I am glad you recognize that fact, at least," Tavaro nodded. "And I rejoice in the knowledge that I too have older siblings on this outing who will have the unenviable duty of being the responsible ones. You and I, Legolas, will simply enjoy ourselves."

Aldeon laughed. "Well, Feren, it looks as if you and I have our duties assigned. Though if we know what is good for us, we should leave these two elflings to their own devices and let them suffer the consequences."

"Oh, but Feren is too responsible to abandon us," Tavaro said comfortably, winking at the said brother. "He takes his duties and responsibilities to heart, sometimes too much so that I fear for his continued sanity."

"Jest all you wish, Tavaro, but on the battlefield, one of us has to be responsible and behave with maturity," Feren said serenely.

Tavaro shrugged cheerfully. "But brother, you must learn to laugh as well."

Feren let out a small sigh. "It is difficult to laugh when so many lives are dependent on your decision." He looked at Tavaro and suddenly smiled. "Fear not for me. I know what is expected of me and I accept my responsibilities willingly."

"As do I, but there are joys in life that one should not ignore," Tavaro said.

Feren nodded. "I do not ignore the joys in life. Take tonight, I have all my brothers with me and for that, I am satisfied."

Legolas reflected on his brother's words and realized that he too was glad to have all his brothers with him. He smiled at Feren and said, "I am glad you and Tavaro were able to take leave at the same time. I like having both of you home for a change. Too often I have felt as if I am the only child."

Aldeon winced at his words. "I am sorry, Legolas. I know I should make more time to spend with you, but I must answer to Adar's need of me too."

"I know, Aldeon. I do not blame you, nor Feren or Tavaro. You all have your duties. I only wish that I can share the burden of those duties with my brothers."

"Your time for that will come soon enough, Legolas," Aldeon said.

Legolas shook his head. "No, not if Adar has his way."

"Patience, bratling. Adar will not hold you back forever," Tavaro said cheerfully. "Mirkwood has great need for skilled archers like you. Even Adar cannot dispute that. Use the time now to hone your skills. You will be needing them when you join the warrior ranks."

Legolas nodded reluctantly. If it was up to him, he would join the warrior ranks tomorrow, but the decision was not his. His adar, and his brothers to a certain extent, was not yet ready to let him join their world. It was absurd, and completely unfair, that he should have to await their readiness to accept what was inevitable. Adulthood was within his grasp, and yet they continued to hold him back. Patience. He had learned to dislike that word with a deep passion.

"Well, I think we should get ourselves to bed so that we can begin our hunt at first light tomorrow," Aldeon announced.

Legolas perked up a little. "Will we be tracking bigger game tomorrow? Hunting for rabbits is not really hunting at all."

"We will see what the woods have to offer us tomorrow though I am certain that it will offer us more than mere rabbits," Aldeon said, smiling.

Feren was the first one to stand up and his eyes held those of Aldeon and Tavaro. "We need to set watches for the night."

Tavaro smiled widely. "Even here, he behaves like the commander that he is. Well, go on, brother, assign us our watches. Even Aldeon is awaiting your orders."

His words prompted a half-smile from Feren. "All right, Tavaro, you take the first watch. I will take the second watch and Aldeon, you take the last."

Legolas looked at his brother sharply. "What about me?"

Feren shook his head. "It is not necessary for you --"

"It is necessary, Feren," Legolas cut in. "I am part of this hunting party and I expect to be treated equally. There are four of us and there will be four watches. Which one is mine?"

Feren's eyes narrowed. He was unused to having his commands questioned. "Legolas, I believe I have assigned the watches. You may get yourself ready for sleep."

Legolas stood up and faced his brother defiantly. "I will not be cast aside, Feren."

Feren took in a deep breath and was about to put his young brother in his place when he caught the look from Aldeon. With great reluctance, he managed to nod. "All right, Legolas. You will take the first watch. Tavaro will relieve you when it is time."

Legolas nodded. "Thank you, Feren."

Tavaro stood and clasped his younger brother by the shoulder. "There are very few who dare to counter Feren's commands. You are very courageous, bratling."

Legolas' eyes were on Feren when he replied, "If the command is unjust, I shall question it."

Tavaro shook his head and smiled. "Consider yourself fortunate that we are not on patrol where Feren's commands are NEVER unjust. Remember that and you will go far, Legolas."

Feren was frowning. "Legolas, you shall wake us immediately if there is the slightest hint of trouble."

Legolas nodded. "Feren, I have been in training. I know what keeping watch entails."

Without waiting for further words from his brother, he retrieved his bow and quiver and made his way to the outer perimeters of the clearing. In one fluid leap, he sprang onto one of the lower branches of a magnificent oak tree. From there, it took but a few more easy moves before he reached a high enough perch where he would have an unobstructed view of the clearing and the immediate surrounding area. Easing back against the comforting sturdiness of the trunk, he at last allowed a small smile play over his face. He had stood his ground with Feren. It was a small victory, if it could be considered a victory at all, but he had not been brushed aside for once. It felt good. He took in a deep breath and swept his eyes about him attentively. The trees murmured gently, reassuring him the tranquility of the night. But he did not intend let his guard down during his watch, no matter how peaceful it all seemed. He would watch over his brothers.

In the clearing below, unbeknownst to him, three sets of eyes kept their watch over him.

TBC





        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List