Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Shire Reckoning  by Anso the Hobbit

Title: Shire Reckoning
Author: Anso the Hobbit
Beta: Marigold
Characters: Pippin, Merry, Frodo, Sam, Aragorn and Gandalf, and also Bilbo and other familiar hobbits, Legolas, Gimli and Čomer
Summary: Watching and waiting in Cormallen brings forth memories of old for more than one watcher.
Note: This story can be read as a companion piece to the chapter "Pippin” of my story "Cousins on Watch” as this takes place immediately after that chapter. “Cousins on Watch” can be found on my website http://www.geocities.com/cityandmark or on Stories of Arda. Written for Marigold`s Challenge 10, where the challenge was to write a story set during the Quest.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


PROLOGUE: A birthday celebration

Eight men and a hobbit sat in a tent. The night was rather chilly for spring, so they had bundled together in the tent to celebrate a coming of age among the men. They were all part of the same čored. Some of the men were still healing from their wounds, but even so the company were a merry lot, and looked forward to a little fun in the solemn atmosphere that reigned in the healing area where they dwelt. Two more men came in, one carrying a large cask of beer, the other carrying a tray stacked with mugs.

"Here we are,” the man with the cask said as he put it down. The other man started to fill mugs with beer and pass them around the tent. The hobbit received his mug, and took it in a two-handed grip so he wouldn’t drop it. He was thankful that he now had some strength in his right hand, at least enough to grasp things. He still lacked feeling and control enough to carry anything, but he was confident that he would manage that soon too. Čomer had promised that Merry would participate in the feast that would be held once the Ring-bearers woke up, and he was determined that he would be able to perform his duties by then.

"Thank you.” Merry tried to balance the enormous mug on his lap and looked about for some other means to drink the beer from. A man’s tea cup would be the right size even if it would look ridiculous, he thought.

"Now, Master Holbytla. Are you not thinking of drinking that? It’s a fine beer indeed,” Rhonnyn - the man on Merry’s left - said, as Merry sat contemplating the mug.

"I do intend to drink it but this mug is more the size of a bucket for me than a mug, so if I want to get most of it inside me and not on my uniform, I`d like to find something smaller to drink from.” Merry never doubted that he could manage to drink all the beer - of course he could!

Rhonnyn laughed, but looked at the hobbit searchingly. Merry was indeed little, and with the mug – large even by men’s standards - in his hands, he looked like a small child dressed up to play at being a warrior.

"How old are you, Meriadoc?” He suddenly asked curiously.

Merry was used to Pippin’s quick changes of subjects, so he just smiled, thinking that despite being different in seemingly every way, this man and his little cousin were quite alike in personality. "36, Rhonnyn. I`ll be 37 this summer."

"That is quite old!” The man blurted. "No offence of course. I`m 25."

Merry found it difficult to figure out the age of men. Remembering, he said, "Aragorn says that according to the reckoning of men I am about 22 or 23. Which actually makes you older than me. I came of age three years ago, by the standards of my people.”

"Amazing! I was considered a man and not a boy, but four years ago."

From the other side of the tent the young man whose birthday they were celebrating said, "Well, I am coming of age today, and I thank you all for your companionship on this momentous occasion!” He raised his mug high in a toast, and took a hearty swallow of the heady brew. The others laughed and drank his health in return.

Merry thought of the Shire Reckoning and tried to figure out what day it was at home. "We reckon time a little differently than you do,” he said when the cheering quieted down a little. "And our calendar is different as well. But so much has been going on recently, I have lost track of the date.”I could ask Gandalf. He would know, he thought. The men were curious now, and at their urging Merry explained about how all months in the Shire Reckoning had 30 days and that every year started on the same day, Saturday, and every year his birthday fell on a Sunday. Maybe I should make a calendar comparing the different ways of reckoning sometime, Merry thought, feeling he somehow was living in two worlds now and that he ought to keep track of both.

The men were amazed at this, having assumed that all calendars were the same as their own. They too had a seven-day week, but the months and reckoning of years were different. The topic turned to festive days, and the men listened eagerly as Merry told them about Yule and Lithe and Overlithe. As he spoke he tried to remember what day it was. It was seven days since he arrived at Cormallen, he mused, and ten days since the Ring was destroyed. Within another few days Frodo and Sam probably would wake up - at least if Strider and Gandalf were right.

As the men laughed at his vivid description of Yule festivities, the tent flap opened and a bearded face peered in. "I should have warned you, men of Rohan,” Gandalf said, before entering completely and pulling the flap down behind him. "Give a hobbit half a chance to tell about the Shire or their ways and you’re forced to listen to a tale that will last for hours.” The dark eyes gleamed with amusement, and the old wizard turned towards Merry. "Now then Meriadoc, you won`t wear them out completely, will you?"

"I’ll try not to,” Merry said and laughed. "Gandalf, what day is it today? By our reckoning? I seem to have lost count."

Gandalf thought a little. "Well, it’s the 5th of Astron I believe.” He peered closer at the hobbit, trying to see him clearly through the smoke filled tent. "Merry. Are you all right? It’s hardly like you to forget such a thing as the date."

"Yes, yes. I`m fine. Maybe a little tired.” Merry said.

"That is hardly surprising.” Gandalf muttered under his breath. Aloud he said, "Get some rest soon, will you my lad?"

"Yes, I will. I’ll go and sit with Frodo and Sam in a little while, and then seek my bed.” Merry swallowed some more of his beer. As he had predicted, it was difficult to sip the brew from this enormous vessel. "If it is the 5th of Astron, it’s Sam’s birthday tomorrow Gandalf, did you remember? Do you think he will wake up to celebrate it?” Merry felt sad at the prospect of his friend sleeping through his birthday, however healing the sleep might be.

"I do not think so Merry. It will most likely be a few more days."

The men in the tent had fallen respectfully silent as the hobbit and the wizard spoke. Gandalf made to leave, then, remembering his task, turned to face the assembled Riders. "I was looking for Čomer, do any of you know of his whereabouts?"

"I think he’s with Strider.” Merry said.

"Thank you.” Gandalf thought that was good and well, as he wanted to speak to both kings. He bowed to them and left the tent.





        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List