Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Gaffe  by Iorhael

Gaffe

A forty-seventh fic by Iorhael

“It’s really peaceful here.”

Silence.

“Everything is green and blue and glowing.”

Silence.

“I can hear the sound of water far down there.”

Silence.

Sigh.

“She’s down-right beautiful, isn’t she?”

Silence.

“Mr. Frodo?”

“… yes, Sam?”

“This place, sir, is the most captivating of all. Beggin’ your pardon, not that I don’t like Rivendell, but this forest seems just out of a fairy tale. And Her Majesty Queen Galadriel is – how do you say it? She’s the most graceful being I’ve ever seen. Don’t you think so, Mr. Frodo?”

Silence.

“You can never forget him, can’t you, sir?”

“Oh, I’m so sorry, Sam.”

“He was very bold, sir.”

Gasp.

“Sam, I must apologize. You must’ve thought a lot about him. He is bold, Sam.”

“Mister? Ah, never mind, sir.”

“Oh, Sam, he must be fond of you. Very much.”

“That – could not be mistaken, sir. He must’ve loved you very much, too, much more even.”

“I believe so, Sam.”

“Oh, I’m awful certain about that. You loved to snuggle into him for hours.”

“I did? But Sam – he can be too smelly for that.”

“Aye. I agree. Yet you couldn’t resist his soft grey hair, could you?”

Nod.

“That’s true. I feel sorry that he’s withered physically, though. He might not fit for this kind of journey.”

Frown.

“Ah, but this is nothing for his kind, if I may say? After all, he was wise and smart.”

Was, Sam? Why do you think he’s passed already? He just went away, Sam!”

“Mr. Frodo--”

Contrite.

“Sir… but he… he…”

“You must never give up hope, Sam! You must be sure that you will return to the Shire and who knows you might see him again. He’s loyal and industrious. I’m sure he’ll find his way home himself, and I’m sure he’ll recognize you when he sees you again.”

Gap-mouthed.

Wide-eyed.

Stutter.

“Mis – mister Frodo, who are you talking about?”

“Why, Sam, it’s Bill the Pony, of course! Thought you might miss him so much.”

Oh.

Head down.

Mumble.

“Well, I do, sir. It’s just – I thought…”

Impatient.

Who do you think I was talking about, Sam?”

“I – you were very silent, sir. I thought you might be thinking about him. The wizard, sir, Mr. Gandalf. I…”

Oh.

Faint smile.

“I was thinking about him, Sam. But looking at you, I recalled then that you just missed someone – or something in this case – and I thought you might want to talk about him. About Bill.”

Freeze.

Tears prickle down.

“Mr. Frodo… I should’ve known… You’re always so… so…”

Squeeze.

Pat on the back.

“You too, Sam. You too.”

~ fin ~





        

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List