Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Postcards From the Shire  by SlightlyTookish

A/N: Written as a holiday ficlet for Auntiemeesh.

A Gift Farewell

The Gaffer's tale of the mysterious stranger asking about Frodo made Sam uneasy, but Rosie Cotton was there, with her brother Tom and Sam's own sister, Marigold, and he often found his attention turning to her.

"So you're going off to Buckland," she said at last. Sam winced. It seemed that Rosie was not very happy with him. "The Gaffer says that folk there are strange."

But Sam shrugged. "I've got to do for Mr. Frodo," he said simply.

Rosie nodded, understanding that. "Well, here's something for you, then," she said, pressing a soft bit of fabric into his hand.

* * *

Frodo and Pippin stood at the gate, waiting. Pippin laughed out loud as Sam ran up.

"I know we're trying to avoid attention, but you didn't need to wear a bag over your head, Sam!" he said.

Blushing, Sam patted the shapeless felt. "It's no bag, Mr. Pippin. Rosie Cotton made it for me. She said it's a hat."

Pippin grinned but said no more, and Frodo hid a smile, making some lighthearted complaint about his pack. Soon they started down the lane, and Sam, glancing once more up the hill, straightened his hat and fell into step behind them.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List