Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Dwarf's Folly  by Deana

A Dwarf's Folly

Legolas stirred, waking slowly. It took him a minute to realize that his eyes were closed, and he groaned when trolls started bashing clubs against his skull.

 

"Legolas?"

 

"Hush!" said Aragorn. "Quiet, Gimli."

 

Gimli sighed, watching as his friend moved slightly, the elf's eyebrows furrowing with pain.

 

Legolas slowly raised a hand, placing it over his eyes and forehead, his elbow thudding to the mattress as if he hadn't the strength to hold his arm up.

 

Both Gimli and Aragorn winced with sympathy, their worry mounting.

 

Legolas made no further movement, and Aragorn stepped a little closer. "Legolas?" he whispered, not wanting their friend to lose consciousness again.

 

The elf was startled at the unexpected sound and his body jerked, making him give a pained gasp.

 

"Forgive me, Legolas!" Gimli cried, grabbing the elf's arm. "It was an accident; I did not realize what I had done!"

 

Legolas squeezed his hand against his temples, groaning at the pain that Gimli was unknowingly increasing. "What?" he whispered, his voice sounding scratchy.

 

Aragorn shook his head at the dwarf before he had a chance to answer. "He shall explain in a moment, Legolas. First; how do you feel?"

 

Legolas slowly removed his hand from his head, opening his eyes slightly. He said nothing, giving Aragorn a look as if to say, 'isn't it obvious?' "My head feels as if it has split into several hundred pieces, and I would like to know why."

 

Aragorn pointedly looked at Gimli.

 

The dwarf sighed heavily. "You told me to do my worst, so…I did."

 

Legolas started to turn his head to look at him, but winced, closing his eyes. "What in all of Middle Earth did you do to me?"

 

Gimli hopped up onto the bed, helping his friend to see him. "I put a sleeping herb in your wine," he confessed, sadly. "The healer gave me one for a dwarf, and I did not realize the adverse effect that it would have on an elf!"

 

Legolas opened his eyes again, giving the dwarf a blank look. Suddenly his mouth twitched, and he started laughing.

 

Aragorn and Gimli's eyebrows rose at the elf's unexpected mirth, until Legolas abruptly stopped with a loud groan, wrapping his arms around his head.

 

The King of Gondor reached over and gently placed his hands on Legolas' shoulders. "Do not move, mellon-nin. I regret that I cannot give you anything for the pain as of yet, for I need to first be sure that the sleeping herb has completely left your body, otherwise they will interact badly with each other."

 

Legolas inwardly groaned at that, having wondered why Aragorn had not given him a painkiller yet.

 

"You did not tell me that, Aragorn!" Gimli exclaimed, horrified. "You mean that he must lie here and endure this terrible pain?"

 

Aragorn sighed, nodding.

 

Gimli dropped his own head into his hands. "Forgive me, Legolas, please!"

 

Legolas let go of his head with his right hand, blindly groping for the dwarf. "It would be easier to endure if you would lower your voice," he said.

 

Gimli sighed, grabbing the elf's arm and laying it on the bed, patting it gently. "Just rest, my friend," he whispered.

 

Legolas sighed, saying nothing.

 

"Where are you going?" Gimli whispered to Aragorn when the king started walking towards the washroom.

 

"A cold cloth may provide some relief," he replied.

 

"I'll get it!" Gimli said, rushing past him.

 

Aragorn watched as the dwarf left the room, and he returned to the bed, carefully sitting beside his suffering friend.

 

Legolas sighed. "I am going to kill him."

 

Aragorn smiled, reaching over to move the elf's arm so that he could feel his forehead. It felt slightly warm, something that didn't surprise the king. "I asked the healer which herb she gave to Gimli," he said. "It is one that affects elves very badly, but you should not take too long to recover."

 

Legolas opened one eye, squinting painfully at the sunlight filling the room. "What time of day is it?" he asked, re-closing it.

 

"Midday," he answered.

 

Legolas said nothing for a minute, but then he suddenly opened his eyes. "And this occurred last night, I assume?"

 

Aragorn shook his head, knowing that Gimli was really in for it now. "No…this is day number three."

 

"WHAT!"

 

Gimli re-entered the room, just in time to hear Legolas' shout. He stopped dead where he stood, afraid to come closer.

 

Aragorn turned, seeing the dwarf standing there. Rising from his seat on the bed, he walked over to the shorter being and took the cloth, returning and placing it on the elf's forehead.

 

Despite his shock, Legolas sighed with relief at the refreshing coldness.

 

"I didn't know, Legolas!" Gimli said, regaining his nerve. "If I had known, I would never have done it!"

 

Legolas gave no reply, his hand now resting atop the cloth covering his forehead and eyes. "Hush, Gimli, I will deal with you when I am able," he said.

 

Gimli's shame grew, if possible, and Aragorn had to fight to hide a smirk. He recognized the tone in Legolas' voice; the elf forgave his friend, he knew it to be an accident, but he was playing on the dwarf's guilt to teach him a lesson. It was a lesson that needed to be learned, for the situation could potentially have been deadly.

 

"Are you hungry?" Aragorn asked.

 

"No," Legolas said, miserably. "Even if I was, it would not be worth the movement required." One corner of his mouth lifted slightly, as he knew that Aragorn was helping him smother the dwarf with guilt.

 

"What can I do, laddie?" Gimli asked, desperation filling his voice. "What can I do to ease the pain that I have caused you?"

 

Shut your foul mouth, came to Legolas' mind, but he decided that those words would be too cruel. "Nothing, Gimli. There is nothing that you can do."

 

Gimli sighed, saying nothing more.

 

"Have some water," said Aragorn, picking up a pitcher beside the bed. "It will help to dissipate the herb's effects faster."

 

Legolas lowered his hand, attempting to sit up. A grimace of pain wrinkled his face, and he quickly changed his mind.

 

Aragorn could tell that the wince wasn't an exaggerated display for the dwarf, and he gently slid an arm under his friend, lifting him up just high enough to drink.

 

Legolas shut his eyes tightly, breathing heavily for a minute at the increased throbbing in his head. He drank the water slowly, not opening his eyes.

 

When the elf was finished, Aragorn gently laid him back down and fixed the cloth's position. "Could you get a bowl of cold water, Gimli?"

 

The dwarf ran to comply, quickly bringing it back. He took the cloth himself and rewet it, gently placing it back on his friend's head.

 

"You should eat something," said Aragorn. "We need to flush the herb out of your body."

 

Legolas made no reply, in too much pain to speak.

 

"Gimli," said Aragorn. "Go to the kitchens and bring back some broth and lembas bread, please."

 

The dwarf nodded, quickly leaving the room.

 

"There," said Aragorn, with a smirk. "He is now your personal servant."

 

Legolas smiled slightly, trying to force back a groan. "I am going to kill him…" he repeated.

 

 

********************

 

 

Aragorn and Gimli watched the sunset from Legolas' room, some of the tension in the air finally gone as Legolas slept, finally able to take a painkiller for his horrible headache.

 

Gimli had returned from the kitchens with the things that Aragorn had asked him for, and the two of them had broken the lembas bread into tiny pieces and dropped them into the broth, where they'd become saturated enough to be able to swallow without chewing.

 

"Lembas soup," Legolas quipped, giving them a look that only Aragorn understood.+

 

By evening, Aragorn thought that sufficient time had passed to allow the elf's body to completely rid itself of the offensive herb, and gave him a drug that lessened the worst of his pain.

 

Gimli was just as relieved as Legolas, and the elf soon dropped into a healing sleep.

 

Aragorn looked at the dwarf, who silently watched the sky out the window. "What you did to Legolas was very dangerous."

 

Gimli sighed, closing his eyes. "I know. I shall never forgive myself for it."

 

Aragorn lowered his head, sighing. "I am sure that he forgives you, do not hate yourself for it."

 

Gimli echoed the sigh. "Do you forgive me?"

 

Aragorn blinked, not having realized that the dwarf's guilt extended that far.

 

Gimli looked at him, almost unable to meet his eyes. "I almost killed someone who's been your friend for what, over eighty years?"

 

Aragorn sighed, placing a hand on his shoulder. "Yes, Gimli, I forgive you. Though it was terrible, I know that it was an accident."

 

Would you forgive me if he had died? Gimli wondered.

 

It was a question that he decided not to ask.

 

 

********************

 

 

When Legolas opened his eyes the next morning, he was immensely relieved to find that his headache felt much better. He sighed with relief, but the occupants of the room thought that it was an expression of pain.

 

"Legolas?" came the worried voices of his friends.

 

The elf opened his eyes, blinking tiredly. "I trust that I only slept for one night this time?"

 

Aragorn and Gimli nodded, both of them able to see that their friend felt better today. There was more color in his face, and the pain-lines had vanished.

 

"You have improved," said Aragorn, happily.

 

"Aye," said Legolas. "The pain has greatly diminished."

 

Gimli smiled, for the first time in four days. "I am glad, Legolas! Can you find it in your heart to forgive this foolish old dwarf?"

 

Legolas looked at his friend, seeing the guilt and grief in his face. The shorter creature looked as if he hadn't slept at all through Legolas' ordeal.

 

Gimli waited impatiently for the elf's words.

 

Legolas sighed, holding out a hand. "Of course I forgive you, Gimli."

 

Gimli ran closer to the bed, grabbing the elf's hand and holding it tightly between both of his. "Bless you, laddie!"

 

Legolas smiled.

 

Aragorn watched with a grin. "Calm yourself, Gimli," he said, as the dwarf nearly jumped up and down with joy. "Legolas still needs to rest."

 

"Rest?" said Legolas, frowning. "I rested for three days!"

 

"Did you?" said Aragorn. "You were unconscious for two of them, and endured agony through the third. I still see pain in your eyes, mellon-nin, and no doubt you are very tired after such suffering."

 

Gimli trained stern eyes on his friend. "Listen to the king, elf!"

 

"But we had plans!" said Legolas, trying to sit up. "I have already lost three days."

 

"And you shall lose the fourth," said Aragorn, holding him down. "We'll have plenty of time after you fully recover, my friend."

 

"He is right," said Gimli. "All we need do is extend our visit another week!"

 

Legolas sighed. "There is no point in resisting," he said. "For I could not take down both of you."

 

Gimli chuckled. "Two against one, elf!"

 

Aragorn couldn't help but smile.

 

Legolas sighed, giving up. "There is no reason for the two of you to remain here with me," he said. "Gimli; you look very tired. Please go catch up on your own rest. If you do not, then you will soon be the one forced to stay in bed!"

 

Gimli made a face at that, but he knew Legolas' words to be true.

 

"And you, Aragorn," said Legolas. "You are king of this city! You have many responsibilities. I am sure that Faramir is likely ready to pull out his hair by now."

 

"Possibly," Aragorn agreed.

 

"I thank you both for your care of me," Legolas said, smiling. "It is very much appreciated. You are both very good friends."

 

Gimli lowered his head. "I am more of a foolish friend, for I caused this to happen!"

 

"I will hear no more of that," said Legolas. "You are forgiven and I am well once more. Go sleep."

 

Gimli nodded, patting Legolas' arm before reluctantly leaving the room.

 

"You should sleep too," the elf said to Aragorn. "Before you go back to your duties."

 

"Mayhap I shall," said the human. "But you are not to leave this bed; I am going to check up on you."

 

Legolas made a face. "I am no elfling!"

 

"Then do not act like one!" said Aragorn, chuckling. "Go back to sleep."

 

Legolas gave his friend a mock-glare, but obediently turned onto his side and got comfortable.

 

"Sleep well," said Aragorn.

 

"You also," Legolas said.

 

Aragorn walked over to the door and opened it, but then he closed it again, pretending that he'd left. Turning, he watched his friend to see if he'd get out of bed.

 

"That will not work with me," said Legolas, not even turning over.

 

Aragorn laughed. "So elves do have eyes on the backs of their heads!"

 

"Of course!" said Legolas.

 

Still laughing, Aragorn left the room.

 

 

********************

 

 

When evening came, Legolas left his bed, intent on having supper with his friends. He arrived in the dining hall before either of them, and waited for their arrival.

 

Aragorn came into the room first, shaking his head at the sight of the elf. "I knew that I would find you here."

 

Legolas smiled. "I feel fine now. My headache is completely gone."

 

"Good!" said Aragorn, smiling as he walked to the table. "I am very much relieved, mellon-nin. You gave me quite a scare." He reached out to take a goblet of wine, but then realized that it was closer to Gimli's seat and changed his mind, taking the other.

 

Aragorn never saw the look of alarm that crossed Legolas' face…a look that vanished when the human chose the other goblet instead.

 

"Is he in here?!" they suddenly heard.

 

Looking up, they saw Gimli storm into the room, scowling.

 

"Good evening, Gimli!" said Legolas.

 

"What are you doing in here, you pointy-earred elvish princeling?" the dwarf exclaimed.

 

Legolas raised his eyebrows. "Eating."

 

Gimli laughed, shaking his head as he neared the table. "I half-expected you to not stay in bed. How is your head?"

 

"Perfectly fine."

 

Gimli smiled as he sat. "I am glad." He sighed as he picked up his goblet of wine and took a large swallow. "It is frightening how an herb that helps a dwarf can cause such agony in an elf."

 

"Aye," said Legolas, hoping that he'd never feel such pain again. "It is."

 

"I think that the friendly rivalry between the two of you should come to an end," said Aragorn. "Before someone gets killed!"

 

Legolas and Gimli exchanged smiles; mischievous twinkles in their eyes making Aragorn shake his head in exasperation.

 

They ate in silence for a while, Gimli still upset with himself over what he'd done to Legolas, and the elf concentrating on eating, as he hadn't had much food in the past four days.

 

Aragorn watched them both, secretly wondering if Legolas would get some kind of revenge on the dwarf.

 

Legolas suddenly looked at him, and Aragorn could see a glimmer in the elf's eye as he looked at Gimli, seemingly waiting for something.

 

"Do we aim to start our hunt tomorrow?" Legolas asked.

 

Aragorn nodded. "Aye, if you truly are fully recovered."

 

"I am," said Legolas. "Do we leave at dawn?"

 

"That was my original plan, but we can make it later," said Aragorn, wanting Legolas to get as much rest as he could.

 

"I think that we should make it closer to midday," said Legolas. "But not on my account."

 

"Then why?" asked Gimli.

 

Legolas said nothing, smiling when he saw the dwarf's eyes blinking sleepily.

 

Without warning, Gimli's face suddenly fell right into his dish with a loud splat.

 

Aragorn looked at Legolas, his shock turning into an amused smile.

 

Legolas smiled back, nonchalantly returning to his food. "Dim-witted dwarf."

 

 

THE END

 

 

+'Lembas soup'…..invented by Elrond for Legolas in my story, 'The Sound of Silence'. Thanks very much for reading! :)





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List