Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

It Takes a Took  by Dreamflower

AUTHOR’S NOTE: The healer, Dodinas Brandybuck the Younger, is a tribute to Ariel’s wonderful story, “Fear”. Though he is not actually the same character, the name is used with her permission.

_______________________________________________

CHAPTER 29

Master Dodinas hung the pendulum back around his neck, and sat down in the chair next to his patient.

“Mistress Lavender said you had made remarkable progress. I am amazed myself. You are very nearly healed.”

Pippin grinned. “So that means--”

“That means you take it slow. Just because the break is mended does not mean you can automatically resume all of your other activities.” The healer got up and went to a nearby cabinet, and brought forth a walking stick. It was a silver headed cane, and the head was in the shape of a bird’s head. “This belonged to old Rory.” He handed it to Pippin. “I think that you can graduate to this from the crutches. You still need to be cautious. I know that is the same leg as your bad knee. You do not want to aggravate that as well. Do not walk any further at first, than you can go in twenty minutes’ time. Continue to use the pony-trap for any distances longer than that. I’m giving you a new powder for the pain. It does have some willow-bark, but it has a few other things that should help to make it easier on your stomach, and ease your rest. Do not stint it. ”

Pippin made a face. “And *when* can I ride? Sable is going to forget he belongs to me, not Merry!”

“If you follow my instructions carefully for the next couple of weeks, I will see about letting you ride *short* distances again. But you are going to have to be very cautious at first. I cannot stress enough how much of a setback you might have should you get thrown.”

Pippin heaved an impatient sigh. “Slow. Go slow. Healers always tell you to go slow.”

“And we are right. Now if you follow my directions and we are able to gradually increase your activities, then by the beginning of the New Year, you should almost be back to your normal routine.”

Pippin’s face brightened at once. “Really? You really think so?”

“I do. In fact, if you choose one of the more decorous measures, I daresay you might even be able to dance at least once at Yule.”

“Oh, Cousin Dody, thank you!” He threw his arms around the startled healer’s neck.

“You are very welcome, Pippin,” he laughed. “Now, be off with you. I need to make time for hobbits who are actually sick. Unless you have a problem, I will see you again in a week.”

Dodinas chuckled as he watched Pippin leave with as much alacrity as he could manage, crutches left behind and the walking stick in hand, his limp was much better. In only a few more weeks it would probably be gone except in bad weather or when his knee flared up. He enjoyed the young hobbit’s exuberance. He sighed. He had often thought that if his cousin Frodo had not lost his parents so young, he would have been much like Pippin as he grew older.

______________________________________________

He made his way to the Master’s apartment, where Merry was visiting with his parents. They were thrilled at the news that he could now dispense with the crutches.

“And what *else* did he tell you, Pip?” said Merry insistently. Not using crutches did *not* mean a clean bill of health.

Pippin sighed. “Go slow. Don’t walk for more than twenty minutes. But he said I might be able to ride a little in the next week or so. Oh, and he gave me a new pain mixture.”

“Thank you, Pippin. Anything else I need to know?”

Pippin shook his head. Sometimes having Merry know him so well was a disadvantage. It made it hard to keep things from him. Now he would be stuck with that twenty minute rule at least until he saw Cousin Dody again.

His Aunt Esmeralda smiled at him. “I’m pleased you are doing so splendidly. I was just about to tell Merry of the letter I got from your mother this morning. It seems that a certain Miss Diamond North-Took is going to come with them when they arrive here for Yule.”

Pippin let out a whoop, and gave a little jump. His face went white, and he sat down abruptly in the nearest chair.

“Are you all right, Pippin?” Merry hovered over him, and Saradoc and Esmeralda looked concerned.

“Yes, I’m fine. I just have to remember no jumping yet, either. It was just a twinge.”

_________________________________________________

A little over a week later, Merry looked on as Pippin carefully mounted Sable for the first time since his accident. Merry had already exercised the little stallion, to take the edge off. Sable was from Dol Amroth, and more high-strung than his own mounts from Rohan.

“Remember, Pip--he said only a few minutes.”

Pippin nodded, grinning, and carefully walked his pony around the paddock. His mare, Butter, was still up at Brandy Hall. She was a much more placid and steady pony, and he would probably do any riding he needed to do on her for the first few weeks. But he had missed his lad Sable, and this first time pony-back, he wanted to be on him.

Twice around the paddock, and Merry was insisting that was enough. He didn’t argue.

__________________________________________________

Several days later, Pippin got down from the pony-trap, barely using his cane, and went into the house where Merry was preparing tea.

“Guess what, Merry?” He grinned. “Cousin Dody has said I might walk as far as I’ve a mind to as long as I pay attention to what my leg is telling me!”

“That’s wonderful, Pip.” Merry poured him a cup of tea, and put a plate of scones in front of him.

Pippin held out two letters, kept a third one back. “I met the post hobbit on the lane.”

Merry’s letters were from Estella and Frodo. He opened the one from Estella first, and smiled as he read. Pippin was busy reading his own letter from Diamond.

Merry put it down, and picked up the second one. He opened it with a smile of anticipation, and Pippin expected him to read out some of it to him, but Merry suddenly gave a cry of anguish, and put the letter down roughly, half-crumpling it. He got up and rushed out of the house.

Pippin’s eyes grew wide, and he picked up the letter.

“My dearest Merry,

I hope that you will not be too terribly disappointed when I tell you that I will not be coming to Buckland for Yule this year. I know that you were looking forward to my being there, but I really do not feel that I am up to facing a Brandy Hall Yuletide.

Instead, I will stay here at Bag End, and have a quiet time alone, as Sam and Rose will be expected at the Cottons’.

Sam invited me there as well, but I simply cannot face so many people right now. I fear that I would just be a pall on anyone else’s celebrations.

I do hope that you will have a joyous Yule in spite of my absence. I am given to understand that the fair Estella will be there, and I am sure that in her presence, you will not even notice I am not there.

Please give Pippin my love. I do miss you both, and perhaps after the bustle of the holiday is over we might have a good visit then.

Love,

Frodo”

Tears sprang to Pippin’s eyes. No Frodo at Yule? Merry!

He took up his cane, and headed out of the door. Where was Merry? He looked over at the small stable. Probably with his ponies, then--ever since they had returned from the Quest, Merry had seemed to be half pony.

He slowly made his way there; he was getting better with this thing, but the ground was icy, and it was as well to be careful. Still he was horribly anxious about his Merry.

Pippin poked his head in, and sure enough his cousin was there. But he wasn’t just seeking comfort from the animals. He was busy saddling up Stybba.

“Merry, what are you doing?”

“I’m going to Bag End, of course. If I hurry, I can be there by midnight.”

“If you ride Stybba into the ground. Which you won’t do. What will you do at Bag End?”

“I’m sure if I talk to him in person, I can persuade him to come back with me. I’ve done it before when he didn’t want to make the trip.” Merry began to tighten the pony’s tack.

Pippin put his hand on Merry’s arm. Merry shrugged it off. “Merry, that was *before*. I don’t think it will work any more. Why put yourself and Frodo through that kind of pain? If you can’t get him to come, both of you will just be more miserable! Besides, even if you hurry now, you won’t be able to hurry back. Estella and her family are going to arrive in the next day or so--you have to be here!”

Merry stared at him in shock, and then his face crumpled. He sank down onto a bale of hay, and put his head in his hands. Pippin sat next to him and put an arm about his shoulders.

“Pip, there’s never *been* a Yule without Frodo.” He started to weep. “I just want things back to normal, Pip! Last year, we were in Tookland, and no offense to your parents, but it’s just not the *same* as here in Brandy Hall. And the year before that--” he shook his head.

“The year before that, we were sitting on a rock in the middle of the wilderness, homesick, while the rest of the Fellowship tried to cheer us up.” Pippin shook his head. He felt like crying, too.

“I’m so afraid, Pip. I’m afraid we’re losing him after all. And it hurts just as bad as seeing him--after--you know--”

“I do know, Merry.”

And the two cousins wept in each others’ arms until they were wept out, and too cold and numb to sit there any longer.

________________________________________________





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List