Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

It Takes a Took  by Dreamflower

CHAPTER 23

It was nearly time for elevenses when Merry finally found Pippin awake. He himself had been up in time for first breakfast, but Pippin, who had been watching over Diamond the night before, had slept in.

“Good morning, sleepyhead! Do you need help this morning?” He’d been helping Pippin get dressed for the day ever since his cousin had been allowed out of the bed.

“Let me see if I can manage with the crutches today, Mer. But stay just in case.”

Merry nodded and sat down in the bedside chair, watching Pippin move about somewhat awkwardly with the crutches. He did need just a bit of help in getting his injured leg into his trousers, but otherwise managed fine.

When Pippin finally finished dressing, he plopped back down on top of the bed clumsily, with a sigh. It was funny how something so simple as dressing could be such a job of work. And he was still a bit tired out from his vigil of the night before.

“Merry, Diamond’s on the mend, now!” he grinned.

Merry’s face lit up; he knew how worried Pippin had been. “Is she now? I’m relieved to hear it!” He stopped for a moment, and there was a slightly awkward silence.

Pippin cast him a sideways look. “All right Merry, out with it. What’s wrong?”

Merry sighed. “You know Estella’s been at me to tell her of the Quest.”

Pippin goggled. “Merry, you promised her days ago that you would tell her. You mean to say you haven’t done so yet? That’s not like you!”

“I’ve tried. She knows some of it. But she wants it *all*--especially the parts that I haven‘t wanted to tell. Pip, I’m not sure I can do that again, not by myself. It was hard enough to do it once for Da. I try to plan it out in my mind, and when I get to certain parts--I just don’t think I can get them out again.” He looked up at Pippin hopefully. “I was hoping you could help.”

Pippin nodded. He remembered telling his family as well. It had very nearly made him sick, having to relive certain parts of it. “I know.” He stopped to think. “Merry, are you sure Estella is all right with me being there? I’d think she’d want it to be just the two of you.”

“She didn’t object.” He looked at Pippin. “Please.”

The pleading look on his face nearly broke Pippin’s heart. He begged and wheedled Merry all the time. It was nearly a game with them, and had been all their lives. But Merry should not ever have to beg him--it wasn’t right, it wasn‘t the way of things.

“Of course I will, Merry. In fact--” Pippin wondered. If he was to be courting Diamond, sooner or later, she’d be wanting the same of him. Might as well get it over with. And it might make it easier to get away from Rosamunda if it were the four of them. “--I think I have an idea. Can we do it in a day or two? And I will speak to Estella myself first.” He wanted to make sure she really would not object to what he had in mind.

Merry nodded, relieved. He had hated to ask this of Pippin, for he knew how hard it was for him as well. But maybe it wouldn’t be so bad, with the both of them.

With Pippin managing his crutches, they slowly made their way to the small private dining room in the Thain’s family quarters, where a nice little elevenses was laid out: sandwiches, fruit and for a change from tea, some mulled cider. Eglantine and Pearl were there; it still seemed strange not to see Pimmie, Vinca and the little ones. They had yet to return from Buckland.

Pippin sat in his chair, still a bit clumsily, “Good morning, Mother.”

Merry gave her a peck on the cheek as he passed to his own seat, “Hullo, Aunt Tina.”

“Good morning, lads.” She put down the letter she had been reading. “The post has been; you have letters.”

There were two, one addressed to Merry from his mother, and one addressed to both Merry and Pippin, from Frodo.

Merry handed Pippin the letter from Frodo.

“My Dear Cousins,

I am hoping that by now the spotted fever has run its course at the Great Smials, and that none were too severely afflicted. Please tell Cousin Tina I would have come to offer my support if it had been wise, but that never having been affected myself, I thought it better to stay away.”

“That’s odd, Merry, I didn’t know that Frodo’d never had spotted fever!” said Pippin.

“Apparently, he had never caught it as a young lad.  And every outbreak we had there later was in the spring, when he would have been at Bag End. Just he and Bilbo living there, he’d not have much reason to be exposed.”

Pippin nodded. “And of course, later, the Ring…” his voice trailed off. Of course the Ring would have prevented his cousin from falling ill of any common ailment. He returned to the letter.

“It is probably as well that I did not do so. Rose is going through a time of not feeling very well, especially in the mornings, and Sam is being kept quite busy right now. For the Gaffer has finally been persuaded to move in with Tom and Marigold.

This means that Sam has been occupied with getting his father moved. In addition, he’s been busy helping several of the hobbits here get prepared for the winter. You know our Sam; he’s not happy if he’s not busy.

Will Whitfoot and a few other hobbits, including Chico Chubb and Polo Bunce, came to see me the other day and tried to persuade me to take up the Deputy Mayor job again. I think that Will feels a bit out of his depth with some of the new responsibilities involved now that the King has returned. But I am simply not up to the task any longer--I do not have the energy to deal with it.”

Merry made a little noise of distress, and Pippin sighed. It had to be pretty bad for Frodo to admit that much.

“I do have an idea, and I would like you to sound your parents out as to its advisability. I think that Sam would do quite well at the job of Deputy Mayor. I would be able to advise him, and he has the practicality and strength to handle the duties that are involved. Of course, there are still those who are foolish enough to think that a gardener should not be in such a position, and who could make things difficult for him if they wished.

Do you think that you could speak to your fathers about this? If I could assure Will that he had the backing of the Thain and the Master of Buckland, he might be persuaded to offer Sam the chance.

Certainly my most difficult task would be to persuade Sam to take on the job. But I think that I can get Rose’s support, and between the two of us, we can talk him into just about anything.”

Merry and Pippin chuckled at this, and Eglantine and Pearl laughed outright.

“What do you think, Mother?” Pippin asked.

“I think it’s a splendid idea. Sam would do very well at the job. And it would go a long way toward finishing what we started at the Ball.” For Frodo was determined to get Sam all the possible respect he could, and for a number of reasons, he had easily persuaded Eglantine to assist him in it. It helped that at the Ball, they had announced to all and sundry Sam’s high favor with the new King.*

Merry furrowed his brow. He loved Sam himself, and wished to see him garner respect as well, but he was puzzled at Frodo’s need to push this so quickly. Hobbits do better with slow change, and Frodo knew that. Why was Frodo in such a hurry on this? Something was not right with his cousin.

“In other Hobbiton news, once the Gaffer has moved from Number 3, Sam has persuaded his sister Daisy and her family to take over the hole, so there will still be some of his family nearby once his father has removed to Bywater. Of course, that is not so very far off, and Sam and Rose take supper there with the Cottons at least once a week, so they will be seeing plenty of him.

I think that the old hobbit was ready to make the change because the new Number 3, snug and well built as it is, just does not feel like the same home anymore.

Pippin, I trust you are doing well with your broken leg. I am sure that the two of you will be heading back to Crickhollow soon, and I hope that you will stop over at Bag End for a few days visit on your way.

I miss you both dreadfully.

Your loving cousin,

Frodo”

Pippin read the last few words out, and looked at Merry. He didn’t say anything, but the glance conveyed the question: “Is Frodo all right?”

And Merry’s perplexed eyes said: “I’m afraid not.”

And Eglantine read the silent exchange, and felt her own worry.

Merry took up the letter from his mother.

“Dear Merry,

Your father and I are quite well. We are enjoying having Pimmie and Vinca and the little ones here, and your father has taken a shine to young Tanto. The two of them have been enjoying one another’s company, and they have been taking little Largo on their various outings.

Doderic reports that your little house is holding up well, and he has hired a hobbit to prepare it for the winter, not knowing if you will be home in time to do so yourselves, and also knowing that Pippin might not yet be able to take on such tasks. Following your suggestion, he has removed Pybba, Hilde and Butter to the stables here at Brandy Hall. I am afraid they will be dreadfully spoiled by the time you get back. Pybba, especially, is a favorite among the stable lads, and they all argue over who gets to exercise him.

The last King’s messenger from Bree brought a letter from Berilac to your father. He sends his own greetings and Fredegar’s. They have reached Edoras and at the time of writing, were enjoying the hospitality of the King of Rohan, who also sent greetings to you. It was only a brief personal note. He said that he and Fredegar will be preparing a longer and more detailed report to send later.

I hope that the spotted fever has run its course, and that Pippin’s leg is getting better. Please give our love to Paladin and Tina.

I am looking forward to you lads coming home to Buckland soon. We will be making Yule preparations soon, and we miss you.

Love,

Mum”

Well, that’s a nice letter.” Merry folded it back up and put it in his pocket. He’d be writing her back soon. He let Pippin keep the letter from Frodo.

“Pip, I’m going out to exercise Stybba and Sable. I’ll be back before luncheon.”

Pearl also took her leave.  She had some errands to run.

“Take your time, Merry. I need to talk to mother for a bit.”

Eglantine raised her eyebrow. What was her lad up to now?

_____________________________________________

* Chapter 40 of "A New Reckoning"





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List