Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

It Takes a Took  by Dreamflower

CHAPTER 19

Paladin found Merry and Estella still in the sitting room with Pippin, keeping him company. Primrose had left some time ago, but Rosamunda had not returned.

The three were laughing and talking, remembering some scrapes that Merry and Pippin had been in with Estella’s brother.

“Hullo, Father,” said Pippin. “You’re looking a bit grim.”

“Well, it seems we have spotted fever in the Smials. Merry, if you’d like to send a message to your parents, Pimpernel, Pervinca, Tanto and the children are all leaving for Buckland in an hour.”

Pippin looked alarmed. “Leaving?”

“Yes, Miss Diamond seems to feel that the small children need to be away from here, and Tanto has never had it either.”

Merry stood up. “Thank you, Uncle Paladin. I’ll send them a quick message. Is there anything I can do to help?”

“Not at the moment. We will be needing every person who has already had it before we are through. I am having to send away at least twenty people, both family and servants, who have not yet had it, as well as anyone who has children under seven. So you can see we will soon be confoundedly short-handed.”

Merry quickly left to write a brief note to his parents in Buckland.

Estella said “Cousin Paladin, I had it when I was ten. I will be glad to help out any way I can. I think that I will go speak to Cousin Tina, and see what she might need.”

Paladin sat down next to Pippin. “There is something you ought to know.”

Pippin looked at his father inquiringly.

“Miss Diamond has never had the spotted fever. She has examined the little servant who has it, so she has been exposed. She thinks that she has between five and seven days before she herself is stricken.”

“Father!” Pippin grew pale. “How could she *do* that?”

“Peregrin, you more than anyone should know the answer to that. You take your duties as a soldier of the King seriously, and never question that you should risk yourself for others. In a way, Miss Diamond has the same kind of duty as a healer. The King is both a healer and a warrior--would he hesitate to expose himself in order to help a patient?”

“But Father, Diamond is but a young lass!”

“As to the ‘young’ part, she is older than you were, when you left because you thought your duty was to Frodo. And as to the ‘lass’ part, I think that you should know there is little truth to the notion that a lass is any less brave or capable than a lad.”

Pippin flushed. “It’s not the same,” he said lamely.

Paladin smiled at his son. “It is not the same only because you care about her and want to protect her. But if you try to protect her from doing what she sees as her duty, you will most assuredly be making a mistake.”

Pippin nodded. He understood what his father was telling him. He just didn’t like it.

__________________________________________

Merry handed Pimpernel the message to his parents. “Will you be passing through Hobbiton?”

“Yes, we had thought to impose on Frodo for the night.”

“Good. Here’s another message for him.”

Tanto was handing Pervinca into the carriage, and then passed little Largo up to him. Milo was helping Pimmie into her seat, and then he passed the twins to her. He handed up little Alyssum, and Merry helped Flora. The lass gave him a kiss on the nose. “T’ank you, Unca Mer,” she said gravely.

“You’re welcome, Flora-lass. Say ‘hullo’ to my Mum and Da for me.”

“I will. Bye-bye.” She scooted up, and he could hear her “Mummy, *I* want da window!”

He and Milo laughed, but Merry could see the worried expression on the Goodbody’s face.

He clapped him on the back. “They’ll be fine! And Mum will be thrilled to have all those lasses there at the Hall!”

___________________________________________

Lavender had just stolen a few moments to rest, after making the rounds of her little patients. All of them were doing as well as could be expected, and the only one she was truly worried about was little Robin Goodchild, who was just barely three, and that only because of his age. She was seeing no signs of new infections, which was hopeful.

“Mistress Lavender! Mistress Lavender! There’s a messenger for you from the Smials with a note for you!”

With an effort, she dragged herself to the door to take the message. It was from Diamond. A chill of alarm banished her sleepiness, as she opened it.

Dear Mistress Lavender,

I regret to tell you that our precautions were in vain, and we already have a case of spotted fever here at the Great Smials.

One of the maidservants, Moss Heathertoes, age twenty-one, was visiting her married sister in Tuckborough late last week. She now lies ill of the spotted fever. I have examined her, and she shows all the signs: cough, runny nose, fever, and the spots, which started in her mouth, and now cover most of her body. So far she is the only case, but she has been carrying the illness about for several days, so I anticipate more cases soon.

I have alerted the Thain and the Mistress, and we have taken the precaution of sending away all children under seven, and any adults who did not take the disease as a child, with the exception of three, who had already been exposed to the patient. Since they are likely to be already infected, I kept them here, so as not to spread the illness into the countryside.

Fortunately none of the very young children were exposed, and it will be well that they are being sent away. I believe the Thain’s daughters will be going all the way to Buckland.

Of course a major concern is that in order to care for the patient, I had to expose myself. This means a very high likelihood that I shall soon fall ill with it as well.”

Lavender bit off a choice word that was not at all ladylike. Just what she had *not* wanted to happen…

Our other patients seem to be faring well. Peregrin’s leg continues to heal at a more rapid than normal pace; Opal has begun to venture outside the apartments with her crutches; Tib, the undergardener, I have examined, and he is now fit to return to work, although I have told the head gardener not to allow him any heavy lifting by himself for at least another two weeks. Mistress Greenhand seems ready to deliver by the end of the week, and Mistress Brownlock appears to have another two weeks to go. If I am incapacitated, Mistress Appleblossom and Mistress Took have agreed to deliver the babes.

Since the infection is already here, I am wondering if you might be able to return now without fear.

Regards,

Your Apprentice,

Diamond North-took

With an exasperated sigh, Lavender refolded the letter. The lass had done the best she could under the circumstances. She turned to the messenger.

“Please wait a moment. I will send a reply.”

_________________________________________________

The Thain looked up from the letter that Diamond had brought to show him. “So she will return in two days if none of the children under her care take a turn for the worse?”

“Yes, sir.”

“Thank you for letting me know. Please, sit down, Miss Diamond.” He gestured to one of the chairs in front of his desk, and she sat down gingerly. She really had not much dealings with the Thain since coming here--it had mostly been her mistress.

“I just wanted to tell you that I have been most pleased with how you have handled yourself in Mistress Lavender’s absence. This outbreak was completely unanticipated, and you have dealt with it in a calm and competent manner.”

Diamond blushed. She had not expected such praise.

“I am also impressed with your bravery in allowing yourself to be exposed to an illness you have not had. It was well-done, lass, and shows that you care about your calling and your patients. I will be letting your mistress know this when she returns.”

Tears sprang to her eyes. “Oh, sir!”

Paladin cleared his throat. He’d not meant to make her cry. He handed her a handkerchief.

“Thank you. I am sorry; it’s just such a lovely thing to say. I didn’t really think about being brave.”

“Well, it was, lass. Most of the truly brave don’t really think about it at the time. Look at my son.”

She blushed fiery red. What was he getting at? But he was smiling at her.

“I know that you have many duties while your mistress is still away, but I do hope that you will find the time to get a bit of rest. You will likely be laid up sooner than you wish, if you do not.”

She realized this was a dismissal, and rose to her feet. “Thank you, Thain Paladin.”

“No, thank *you*, Miss Diamond.”

He smiled as he watched her leave. Pippin had set his eye on a good one. He hoped his son was eventually successful in his suit for her. She would be an asset to the family.

____________________________________________________

Rose came into the front room where Frodo and Sam were enjoying a last pipe.

“Everyone is set up in the guest rooms, Mr. Frodo.”

They had been surprised at the sudden influx of guests from the Great Smials, but had quickly risen to the occasion.

“Will you be going back to Tuckborough, Mr. Frodo?” she asked.

“Well, I would if I thought I’d be of any assistance, Rose, but in this case, definitely not.”

“Why is that?”

“I’ve never had the spotted fever myself. I would simply end up being another burden on them.”

____________________________________________

When Diamond entered the sitting room, she was surprised to see Pippin alone. That was just not done, to leave a sick or injured hobbit alone. Her expression must have been eloquent, for Pippin said:

“Merry just had to step out for a few minutes; he’ll be back any time now. Come on in and sit down.”

Diamond hesitated. She did need to examine his leg, and she was tired.

And Merry should be back soon.

“I need to check you out,” she said, and took off her pendulum.

Pippin watched her dangle it over his leg. He had this done to him often enough that he could see a little of the more obvious things himself. He knew for example that the way it was swinging now showed he was in pain--which was true, he was.

“When did you last have any of the willow-bark tea?” she asked.

“At luncheon. I know it hurts; but I can put up with it. To be honest, I’d rather have the pain in my leg than the burning in my stomach.”

“There are other pain medicines, but I can’t make any changes without Mistress Lavender’s permission.”

“I’m fine. Have a seat.”

She sat down in the armchair next to the settee. It was not until she did so that she realized just how tired she was.

“Are there any more cases of the spotted fever yet?”

“There are a couple of people with the early symptoms--but those could just as easily be colds. I won’t know for certain for another day or two.” She sighed.

“And you are going to be coming down with it yourself,” he said gently. “Are you frightened?”

She looked at him, startled. She shouldn’t answer that. But the look of understanding he gave her cut through her defenses. “I am. I am frightened. But it was something I had to do.”

“Not much different from going into battle, then,” he smiled. “I know I was scared spitless every time.”

“Oh.” She thought of how fearless he appeared to be.

“But I think that I would be far more frightened to do what *you* did. In a battle, at least I could fight back. But just to let a sickness take me?” He shuddered. “You are a very brave lass.”

Just then the door opened and Merry returned. Diamond excused herself, and left.

Pippin watched her leave with open admiration on his face.

____________________________________________





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List