Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

It Takes a Took  by Dreamflower

CHAPTER 7

Frodo and Sam stayed until Pippin’s luncheon arrived, accompanied by his mother. They had agreed that Sam would stay with him that night, and Frodo the following night. Then. if all was going well, the two of them would return to Bag End. There was no question that Merry would remain as long as Pippin did.

Eglantine crossed over to drop a kiss on her son’s brow. “Good afternoon Frodo and Samwise.”

“It’s good to see you again, Cousin Tina,” said Frodo. “We’ll leave this rascal to his mum now.” He reached over and deliberately ruffled Pippin’s hair the way he had done when he was small. Pippin never minded when Frodo did that; even Merry no longer had *that* privilege. Only Frodo.

Pippin stuck his tongue out, but spoiled it by laughing.

“We will see you later, Pip.”

“ ‘Bye for now, Mr. Pippin.”

_________________________________________

Merry wakened from his brief nap feeling refreshed. It seemed as though Frodo and Aunt Tina had been right. They had insisted that he could not have slept properly alongside a sick Pippin, and that he needed some more sleep. He had been quite cross with them, sending him off to take a nap after elevenses as though he were a faunt. But he felt a good deal more clear headed now.

He realized that he had some letters to write, so he got up and went to the small desk, and took up the quill.

Dear Mum and Da,

I know that you are expecting Pippin and I to be returning to Buckland about now, but I am sorry to tell you that it will be some time before we can do so.

Yesterday Pippin was in a serious accident. He actually saved his brothers-in-law from being killed by a falling branch during a storm, but ended up being pinned by it. He fortunately suffered no worse than a broken leg and a severe cold (from exposure to the weather) but of course it will be a while before he will be able to leave. I am sure Uncle Paladin will write you of this in more detail.

Frodo, Sam and I came to the Great Smials as soon as we heard the news. They will be returning to Bag End in a day or so, but I intend to stay with Pippin, as I daresay you have guessed.

Try not to worry about this too much. The healers seem to feel the break is a clean one, and you know that both he and I mend more quickly now than we used to. There is no reason for either of you to feel that you need to come here; we will be fine. But if you care to write Pippin, I know he would be glad to hear from you. Once he starts to mend, he’s going to be considerably bored, and any news will be welcome.

In other news, Pimpernel’s new babes are doing very well, growing and thriving. Frodo was no end bucked that she named them after his parents, and I know that must have pleased you both as well. And you will also be pleased to hear that Sam and Rose are now expecting a little one sometime this spring!

I’m writing Dodi to let him know that he will need to keep an eye on the house for us for a little while longer.

I’ll write again soon.

All my love,

Your son,

Merry

***

My dear Doderic,

I’m sorry to have to impose on you for a bit longer, but Pip’s gone and broken his leg; needless to say that this will delay our return to Crickhollow for quite a while.

I appreciate your keeping an eye on the house for us. If it would make things more convenient for you, please consider moving Hilde, Pybba and Butter to the stables up at the Hall until we get home.

I’ve written Mum and Da with a bit more information. They can give you the details on Pippin’s accident.

Thanks again for taking care of our house for us.

Love,

Cousin Merry

***

My darling Estella,

I know that you are expecting us to stop at Brock Hall on our way home to Buckland, but our arrival is going to be postponed indefinitely.

Pippin is here at the Great Smials laid up with a broken leg. You know very well I won’t leave him, so I am more or less stuck here as well.

I’m so proud of the silly lad I could burst. He broke the leg saving his brothers-in-law from their own foolishness. The two of them and Pip were out fishing when yesterday’s storm broke. Instead of sensibly coming on back, wet or no, they decided to seek shelter under a huge tree. In a thunderstorm, I tell you! When lightning sent a branch down on them, Pip shoved them away, and ended up pinned. It was lucky he was not killed instead! I like Milo and Tanto well enough, but I have to say I am feeling a bit angry at them right now. Of course, I wouldn’t say that to anyone but you, dear. Even Pip wouldn’t understand, and he’d be all worried that I would say something to them. I wouldn’t. It’s not like it would mend matters now, and would just cause hard feelings. But I have to say I would have thought them to have more sense!

At any rate, I’ll be here for a good while. Frodo and Sam are here as well, but they will be heading back to Bag End in a day or so. Poor Sam, I know, is fretting over having left Rose alone. I’d not had a chance before to tell you, but they are expecting a baby in the spring! So you can see why Sam wants to get back as soon as possible.

I miss you so much. I was really looking forward to spending a day or so with you. I know we agreed to wait until Freddy came back from abroad to announce our betrothal, but it’s decidedly hard on me, my heart. I hope you have made it clear to your mother that once the announcement is made, the wedding is to proceed fairly quickly! But Rosamunda will have her own way, I know. (I’m smiling, dearest, and not cross. I can’t be cross when I’m thinking of you.)

It’s very possible that I may have a bit of interesting news to share with you about Pip as well. I can’t say anymore at present, except to say that I am hopeful he may soon be finding for himself the kind of happiness I have with you.

Love always and forever,

Merry

There was a tap on the door, and at his answer, Frodo stuck his head in.

“Are you still angry, or would you care to come to lunch with me?” Frodo did look a bit worried. He had been a bit heavy-handed, and he could understand Merry’s resentment. He never liked people telling him to take naps either--even when they were right.

Merry shook his head and sighed. He couldn’t stay angry when he knew it was all out of concern for him. And he’d done the same thing himself to Frodo in the past. “No, I’m not angry. A bit annoyed to be treated like a child, but not angry.” He got up and came along. Sam was waiting in the passage.

“Hullo, Sam.”

“ ‘Afternoon, Mr. Merry.”

The three headed to the family quarters, where luncheon was being presided over by Pearl. Paladin was taking his lunch, as he often did, in his study, and Eglantine was with Pippin.

The meal was cheerful. Pippin’s sisters had all tendered their thanks to their brother, so that was off their minds, and the little ones were all there to be doted over. There were Pimpernel’s two older daughters, Flora and Alyssum. Flora was a sweet little four year old, still a faunt, while Alyssum was only two and a half. The twins were sleeping, both of them in a single cradle placed to one side of the dining room. Pervinca’s son Largo was an active fourteen month old.

In addition to the immediate family, Cousin Reggie and his daughter Garnet had joined the rest of them.

“Frodo, Samwise, it’s good to see you again,” he said.

“It’s good to see you as well, Cousin Reggie,” answered Frodo. “How is Opal doing?”

“She is coming along very well. She is quite impatient for Poppy to return, so that she can begin her apprenticeship.” He turned to Sam. “And how is your lovely bride, Samwise?”

Sam blushed. “Rose is keeping well. She--erm--we, uh…”

Frodo grinned. “Out with it, Sam!”

“Well, it seems as if we’ve found ourselves in the family way, as it were.” Sam felt a bit awkward. This was his first time to tell anyone besides family, and he was a little embarrassed.

There was a general buzz of delighted congratulations all around, and Sam rather basked in the attention. Pippin’s sisters were thrilled. They had all become fast friends with Rose last spring before the wedding, when Sam had accompanied Frodo to the Great Smials for the convocation of family heads.

Sam wondered how Rose was doing right now. He really wished he could get back to her soon.

_____________________________________________

Rose had sat down to her lunch without enthusiasm. After she had finally dropped off to sleep the night before, she had slept very hard, indeed. But when she woke up, it was in confusion. She missed Sam’s presence next to her.

She had got over her nervousness at being on her own, but Bag End felt very large and empty to her, alone as she was. She wondered how Mr. Frodo, and old Mr. Bilbo before him, had managed to endure it, year after year. She supposed a body could get used to anything eventually, but the thought of so much loneliness just caught in her throat. She wondered how soon Sam would be coming back to her, and wished he had not gone. Then she felt guilty. Poor Mr. Pippin, hurt like that. If she were not in her interesting condition, she would have just gone along with them.

How *did* Mr. Frodo stand it?

There was a knock at the door, and she jumped, startled. Then she hurried to answer it; anyone would be a welcome visitor right now.

It was her brother and her sister-in-law. “Mari, Tom! Oh, do come in!”

Marigold embraced her. “Rosie, you’re trembling! Whatever is the matter?”

“Oh, Sammy and Mr. Frodo and Mr. Merry had to rush off to Tookland last night. Poor Mr. Pippin was in an accident and broke his leg!”

“And they left you here all alone?” asked Tom angrily.

“Don’t be like that Tom! I made Sam go. Mr. Pippin is almost like kinfolk, too, you know that, after all that they went through together. It would be heartless of me to keep Sam back!”

He gave his sister a fierce hug. “Rosie, sometimes you are too good. But I suppose you are right; and you couldn’t be anyplace safer than Bag End. Still, I think perhaps we will stop here tonight, and stay with you instead of going down to the Gaffer.”

She smiled up at her brother. “Well, I have to say I’ll be glad of the company. But you can’t have known of this--what’s this visit in aid of?” For she knew very well that they had plenty to keep them busy at the Cotton farm, and little time for casual visits.

“We wanted to share a bit of news,” said Mari, blushing. “It seems that you and Sam are not the only ones adding to the family.”

Rosie gave a great cry of delight, and threw herself into her best friend’s arms.

_______________________________________________

Eglantine watched Pippin drop off to sleep again after they had eaten. The medicine and the pain were keeping him drowsy, and the food had done its work as well. She looked at his face, relaxed in sleep, and marveled at how young he could look. Sometimes he still seemed to be the sweet little seven year old who plagued everyone with his chatter.

There was a very light rap on the door, and Lavender’s apprentice Diamond stuck her head in.

“Mistress Took? Would you like me to watch over him for a while?”

Eglantine was about to say ‘no’, but then she recalled several duties that she had left undone. If Pippin were not doing well, they would not have mattered. But he was fine at the moment, and she could not justify the neglect on his account. “Yes, Miss Diamond, if you would. I believe his cousins will be back shortly.”

She vacated the chair next to the bed, and slipped out of the room.

Diamond sat down there, her herbal in her hand. But she did not open it to read. Instead, she studied the face of her patient. He looked so young and untroubled right now. But she remembered the evil dreams that had plagued him the night before. He was a curiosity, that much was certain.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List