Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Mortal Memories  by LOTRFaith

Disclaimer: Own nothing of Lord of the Rings, New Line Cinema, any characters, J.R.R. Tolkien, etc..

Chapter 10

--

You have been drifting for so long
I know you don't want to come down

Somewhere below you, there’re people who love you

And they're ready for you to come home

Please come home

Drifting – Sarah Mclachlan

---

“Adar?” Lomion spoke up softly, as they hurried forward on the clear trail that Legolas had left.

“Hmm?”

“Do you have any idea where Legolas is?”

Thranduil frowned. “He once asked me if I was afraid of caves.” He replied.

“So you think he might be trapped in a cave?” Lomion asked horrified.

Thranduil cast a helpless look over his shoulder. “I hope not, but I don’t know.” He set his gaze ahead again. “I don’t know.”

-~-~-

They had given him their blessing.’ Legolas thought wonderingly. And now… He looked behind him, and though he couldn’t see anything he could still remember the crash of the rocks around him. The statues lying in broken pieces, crumbled rocks showering around him.

It seemed strange to think of it, but his past really was buried. The life like statues he had made had always been there to remind him with a greater certainty of what had been lost and could never be replaced. But now… With the statues gone it was like a scar that had suddenly faded.

It was like he had ripped free of his chains, the pain still stung but there was a certain sense of freedom in his soul that wanted to sing out.

Dirt trickled down onto his head.

Immediately he flung himself down, his arms protecting against his mouth and nose.

He waited a few moments until he was sure that there was no more dirt that would come crashing down, then carefully stood.

The blood from the cut was already drying, thankfully. But it was rather annoying to feel the drying blood actually drying against his face. He didn’t want to wipe it off for fear it might start bleeding again, so he left it and continued on his way.

While he didn’t realize it, his natural Elven light had started to shine ever so brighter.

The darkness of grief had long overshadowed it, but when at last Legolas had pulled it back, the light shone all the brighter.

-~-~-

Easily finding the cave opening and the torches, Thranduil, Lalaith, Lomion, Thalion and Tasari quickly lit them and hurried on. Though they could not see tracks because of the stone path, there was no other path but that one.

They found the dropped torch, still glowing dimly.

As each new horrifying thought came into their mind the faster they went.

-~-~-

He could very faintly see a pinprick of light shinning down. Straining forward, he could just barely hear the song of a bird trilling outside.

He knew now that somehow he had turned completely around and wasn’t heading in the same direction where the entrance was.

But he figured it wouldn’t hurt if he continued forward and if he hit a dead end then he would retrace his steps and go another way, if possible.

But for now he was content to just follow the tiny pinprick of light.

-~-~-

Kneeling, Lomion dabbed his finger in the small pool of blood. The moisture of the cave had kept it from drying quickly, so Lomion only had a vague idea of how much time had passed since Legolas had passed through.

He rubbed the sticky liquid between his fingers and his eyes narrowed. Legolas was hurt. He could easily see the bits of displaced dirt where Legolas had unsettled it.

“Adar.” He called over his shoulder. He showed Thranduil his blood covered fingers.

“I doubt it’s bad.” Lomion reassured. “There is only a small bit here.”

Thranduil sighed, shaking his head. “I am going to lock him up for a few centuries when I get my hands on him.” He said rather ruefully.

Despite the serious situation, Lalaith laughed lightly, the sound echoing in the cave. “You probably should have done that a while ago if you were going to do that.” She said.

Thalion snorted. “Legolas would have easily found a way to escape you know.” He turned an apprising eye toward his younger brother.

Tasari raised his hands pleading innocence. “I’m not the one who taught him how to pick locks.”

“Ha.” Both Thalion and Lomion said simultaneously.

Lalaith laughed again. “Well I can remember a certain someone who used to pick locks to get to a certain wine when his wine keepers back was turned.”

The three brothers turned to look at their Adar, who simply chuckled. “Of course your Naneth showed him which knife to use for different sets of locks.”

“One never knows when a use such as that will come in handy.” Lalaith said unrepentant, urging her sons and husband on.

“Sure!”

-~-~-

Legolas blinked, hearing the echo of laughter along the corridor. It sounded like…

No…

Legolas shook his head.

But then again…

He heard more laughter.

And then gave a laugh of his own.

He should have known that his family would come after him. The most surprising however, was that his Naneth had gone with his Adar and older brothers.

He stopped at the thought.

His Naneth.

Even after all this time he was still getting used to the fact that he really did have a Naneth. A living, breathing Naneth.

Turning around he cast a look over his shoulder at the tiny light still shinning brightly. It was amazing how that tiny light had so immediately drawn his attention.

He had been stumbling around in the dark for so long, that that tiny light had given him an unlooked for hope.

Legolas’ steps faltered, then stopped as he realized the implications of his recent journey.

It had been a long since Gimli had died, but Legolas had always seemed to be stumbling around in the dark, perhaps not literally, but metaphorically.

Long had his heart and mind been dark with grief, but now he realized that a light had drawn him, the light of his family, loving him, worrying about him, giving him plenty of space to figure out life for himself.

He sank to his knees, overwhelmed at the thought. He had been chasing after his long dead friends so long that he never even realized how much pain he was causing his Elven friends and family.

Elladan and Elrohir had not only lost their adopted brother, but their beloved sister as well. They too had lost friends, perhaps they had not been as close to Eomer, Faramir and the like, but they were still friends to them.

They had known humans for far longer than Legolas had, and so it was easy to just assume that the twins could deal with death better than he could. But the death of a family member…

He staggered to his feet, his head suddenly pounding. He had to get back.

“Adar!” He lifted his voice and winced as the echo tore across the walls.

-~-~-

“Adar!”

Instantly Thranduil lifted his head. “Shh!” He hissed. “Listen.”

“Adar!”

The call came again.

A slow smile spread across Thranduil’s face. And suddenly his feet moved and he was running towards his son. “I’m coming!” He shouted.

-~-~-

Legolas stopped.

The light from a torch moving towards him brought forward more emotion than he thought possible.

He was at last home.

-~-~-

Dawn broke across the night sky. The pale rose color spread it’s wings across the soft blue as the bright sun slowly came up.

Thranduil gazed at the beautiful morning, his mind for once drinking in the glorious sight without worried thoughts about Legolas.

The deep even breaths pulled him away from the window. Thranduil smiled. Even after being married for centuries to Lalaith, it still never ceased to amaze him at the love welling up within him whenever he looked at her.

He sat down in a chair placed by the bed. Watching her sleep.

One arm was tucked underneath the soft pillow while the other one grasped the light quilt on the bed. The golden hair was in complete disarray and partially hid her face from his view.

He gently reached forward and pushed aside her hair and tucked it behind her elegantly pointed ear.

She sighed, and blinked sleepily. A sleepy smile touched her lips. “Were you watching me again?” Her voice rasped from the lack of use.

Thranduil simply smiled and pressed his lips to hers. “I love you.” He whispered.

Lalaith smiled, taking his hand in hers. “And I love you.”

Their lips met again.

“It is still early yet.” Thranduil whispered. “Sleep.”

“And what are you doing?” She asked, settling back down.

“Legolas needs to talk.” Thranduil said simply. “We’ll be back before dark.”

“Give him my love.” Lalaith smiled.

“I shall.” Thranduil promised and quietly left.

Legolas looked up from twirling the small cup in his hand. “Good morning Adar.” He said quietly, a smile on his face.

Placing a gentle kiss on Legolas’ forehead, Thranduil gently examined the three stitches. Though it wasn’t a serious cut, it was one that would be hard for the skin to pull itself together to heal. So Elladan, taking a needle and thread in hand quickly sewed his friend up.

Elrohir, quickly focusing on Legolas hands, noticed that the prince was clenching and unclenching his hands as if they hurt. Gently taking them into his own hands, Elrohir easily pressed the prince into telling them why they hurt.

They were all quiet for a few moments as each digested what Legolas had told them.

Lomion had entered carrying a bottle of wine and several glasses and the moment had been lost.

But now, after so much had been acted out on pure emotional adrenaline, Thranduil could see hints of regret in the blue-gray eyes.

He said nothing however, and left it up to Legolas to breech the subject if he wanted to. His little leaf was as stubborn as he was, and Thranduil had no wish to create an argument with him.

Legolas took another sip of his water. “Do you mind where we go Adar?” He questioned, idly twisting the glass in circles on the table. He studied his glass, refusing to meet his Adar’s curious glance.

“Of course not.” Thranduil responded, easily, pouring a glass of water for himself.

Silence reigned for a few moments.

“Are you sure you have the time?” Legolas bit his lower lip. “I don’t want to take you away from anything you could be doing.”

Thranduil sat down and took his son’s chin in hand and forced him to look him straight in the eye. “I would spend every possible second with you that I could, Legolas.” He said quietly. “Your siblings are very strong and they also had a spouse to help them in ways I cannot, you.” He smiled. “Are still in need of your Ada.”

Legolas blushed, but his eyes clearly showed Thranduil his deep need and yearning to finally be free of the past. “How did I ever get so lucky as to have you as an Adar?” Legolas smiled.

Thranduil chuckled. “The Valar knew what they were doing.”

-~-~-

The view was magnificent. The mountains were reflected in a clear lake. The lake looked as though it was shallow, but if you stepped in you would easily be over your head.

As the morning sun slowly edged it’s way even further in the sky, father and son sat on an out cropping of rocks, each drinking in the magnificent view, each content to dwell one their own thoughts.

Then quietly, Legolas began to speak. He told of his beginning frustrations with the other elves that they could not understand how he felt. The sharp agony when Gimli died had how he tried to force the agony away, but it only resulted in a numb heart. How the long days turned into even longer weeks. The nights of simply watching the stars instead of trying to sleep because his dreams would be plagued in remembering the laughter of years past.

How certain foods would churn his stomach because the last time he had them was when his mortal friends had surrounded him. How he would always hesitate to say anything to anyone because he feared that no one would know how he truly felt and the last thing he wanted was pity.

He had only wanted to tell a portion of his story, but now that he was there he found himself pouring out his entire heart. Nothing was spared, no emotion not realized, no thought left unsaid. His heart was laid bare and once he finished he turned a hurting, wounded heart to his Adar and quietly asked his forgiveness.

His heart filled with a peace, knowing his son would finally be alright, Thranduil took Legolas into his arms and like an elfling, Legolas cried his fears away.

Finally at peace with his mortal memories.

THE END

There will be an epilogue. I know this is short and rather vague, but I just needed to finish this... Any questions or if you'd like to see something if I would ever update, let me know in a review.. Thanks!





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List