Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

All That Glisters  by Lindelea

Chapter 72. Epilogue

S.R. 1446

Ferdibrand gasped as the towers of the New City came into view, shining in the noonday Sun, who was at her brightest, as if determined to make the white towers dazzle the newcomer’s eye. Pimpernel held out a seeking hand, and he seized it firmly. Truth be told, he was in a little need of comfort himself.

 ‘It’s beautiful,’ Nell whispered, eyes wide as saucers.

Frodo-lad, riding in the open carriage with a jumble of young hobbits as their parents walked on the grassy verge—Gamgees and Tooks and Brandybucks—raised a cheer, and as if in answer to the young voices a roar went up from the City. Blinking, Nell could see bright banners waving, and a multitude of folk awaiting them. She had no doubt they were as Big as the guardsmen marching nearby.

Pippin smiled in satisfaction and exchanged glances with Diamond. ‘It’s quite a sight,’ he said lightly. Couldn’t hold a candle to Minas Tirith, away to the South, now, but then that city was built into the side of a mountain and had seven levels. This city was a hobbit by comparison, which was somehow a comforting thought.

Faramir Took climbed over the side of the carriage and leapt down, running lightly over the grass to join his parents, walking to one side of the Road. He had grown tall, recently, might be called “gangly” but then he was nearly sixteen and impossible to keep satisfied with food. ‘I’m hungry!’ he announced now.

 ‘Here you are,’ Pippin said, pulling an apple from his pocket.

 ‘I thought you were keeping that for Merry!’ Diamond said as Farry took the apple with thanks and ran to join his Uncle Ferdi and Aunt Nell, chattering about all he remembered from previous visits.

Merry laughed and brandished an apple from his own pocket, polishing it against his sleeve and raising his right hand high so that the round blushing fruit glistened in the sunlight. 

There was a ceremony of formal greeting, a great deal of bewildering noise and colour and bustle, and at last a welcoming feast. Halfway through the soup course Pippin gave an exclamation and rose from his seat with a hasty word to the King. ‘Of course,’ Elessar said, motioning to the head server, and soon more places were being laid near Master, Mayor and Thain, on the Big side of the table.

Pippin returned, leading a plainly-clad Man; he was obviously dressed for the occasion, but no noble or courtier by his clothing—perhaps a tradesman? Ferdi mused. He rose from his seat to bow politely as Pippin tendered introductions.

 ‘Ferdibrand, this is Denethor, the guardsman I told you about... and his wife Merileth...’

Ferdi bowed as the Thain continued his introductions. ‘...and Denny, this is Ferdi, my right hand.’

 ‘You must have a terrible time finding gloves to fit,’ Denethor observed, and Merileth rolled her eyes and discreetly thrust her elbow into his side with a whispered, Denny!

Through conversation it became clear that Denny was not a guardsman as he’d been introduced, well rather, he had been a guardsman until injuries had caused him to retire honourably from service. He owned a stand in the market square where he sharpened blades three days of the week; the other days he helped his wife’s father, a greengrocer. Ferdi rubbed his thumb appreciatively across the blade of the knife Denny took from his boot. ‘Very nice,’ he said. ‘Do you sell a good skinning knife, in a size a hobbit could use?’

 ‘Of course!’ Denethor answered. He could have one made easily enough. His wife’s youngest sister was married to the armourer.

After enough food to make the greediest Man roll himself into a corner, groaning, Pippin jumped to his feet and bowed to the King. ‘My thanks!’ he said. ‘An excellent repast, and plenty enough to hold us over until teatime.’

 ‘I’m relieved to hear it,’ Elessar said.

 ‘But my dear wife remembered something she forgot in packing,’ Pippin continued. ‘Will the market be open this day? What with all the people gathered outside the Gate to cheer your return and wave banners and whatnot?’

The King reassured them on this account and nodded in dismissal, and Diamond, Ferdi and Nell rose from their seats to accompany the Thain. Pippin invited Denethor and his sweet-faced wife to join them.

  ‘They will have returned to their shops and stalls,’ Denethor said as they cleared the doors of the banquet hall, ‘all but those invited to the welcoming feast, of course. After all, there will be a great deal of gossip to be got through before the sunset bells ring.’

Ferdi stared at him in frank astonishment at this hobbity talk coming from the tall man, but Denethor merely laughed. I told you he was half hobbit! Pippin said behind his hand.

 ‘Aye, but which half?’ Denethor said, and laughed again.

Ferdi found himself liking this tall-but-hobbity Man, a wonder since he considered every Man a ruffian until proved otherwise.

Their arrival in the market square caused a flurry, for the visiting hobbits were not expected until the following day at the earliest.

 ‘The finest ladies’ handkerchiefs are to be found in a little shop at the greengrocer’s end of the row,’ Denethor said.

 ‘I remember!’ Diamond smiled. ‘Wonderful fabric, and exquisite stitchery! But would they have anything now? I mean, we’ve only just arrived, and...’

 ‘Ah, but the City has been anticipating your arrival ever since the snows melted,’ Denethor said with a bow. ‘Such excitement, that the King would be bringing his Counsellors with him this trip!’

 ‘I’m sure they have stacks of hobbit-sized pocket-handkerchiefs,’ Pippin said gallantly, ‘all just waiting for your perusal.’ Even though he thought Diamond had packed quite enough of the things. Still, what ever made her happy, and was in his power to supply...

 ‘But you must put your feet up, my dear,’ Denethor said solicitously to his wife. ‘It has been a long while, sitting at that feast, and you are not far from your time...’

 ‘Far enough,’ his fair wife said, blushing, and she managed an awkward bob to Thain and Mistress. ‘If you’ll excuse me...’

Of course they did, and Denethor turned away to escort his beloved to their cheerful little home not far from the row of shops.

At the tinkle of the bell above the door a Man bending down, arranging wares on a low shelf, said pleasantly, ‘I’ll be right with you.’

 ‘Take your time,’ Pippin said jovially. ‘My wife will be taking enough of your time as it is, wanting to see every pocket-handkerchief in the shop more than likely, and asking for some that aren’t in the shop!’

The Man chuckled, a pleasant sound, but his smile was wiped away as he straightened and regarded his customers. His face paled as he stammered a polite greeting.

 ‘Is Seledrith not here?’ Diamond said. ‘She always knows just what would suit.’ She’d never met this young Man before, though there was something familiar about his eyes.

 ‘She—she’s out shopping,’ the Man said. ‘Pocket-handkerchiefs, did you say?’ He ducked beneath the counter and began a determined, if long-drawn-out, search through the contents of the shelves. Pimpernel fingered a length of fine silk, and soon she and Diamond were deep in discussion, while Ferdi fought the impulse to put his hands in his pockets and whistle, and Pippin twinkled at him as if he guessed exactly what he was thinking.

The bell tinkled again to announce Bergil’s arrival. ‘There you are!’ he said. ‘King Elessar thought you might need some rescuing about now!’ 

 ‘Indeed, rescue us,’ Pippin said fervently, ‘before we’re wound about in bright lengths of silk! Who knows what dreadful thing might happen after!’

 ‘Come along then,’ the guardsman said.

Diamond looked after her husband with a smile. No longer did she need to worry to let him out of her sight, for fear a breathless fit might take him for ever away. A few years earlier Samwise had returned from the Southlands bearing a bottle of wonder from the Tree-folk, and not a moment too soon! Pippin had been gasping his last when he drank the marvellous draught, marvellous indeed, bringing him cure where the Elf-draught could not. Now he was as well as if his lungs had been new-grown... which, perhaps they had. The Ents knew how to keep things green and growing. Pippin still jested about Samwise’s “Ent thumb”, and the gardener-Mayor only smiled and looked thoughtful.

Seledrith entered the shop, a basket on one arm and a babe on the other. ‘Oh!’ she said, rather breathlessly, to see Diamond and another hobbit in the shop. ‘Beg pardon, misses, and I’ll be helping you directly.’ Raising her voice, she called ‘Gwillam!’

 ‘Here,’ the Man said, muffled behind the counter.

 ‘Half a moment, misses,’ Seledrith said. She crossed the shop to pull aside a curtain. Beyond the hobbits had a glance of a small hearth with cheery fire burning this cool Spring day, and the shaggy white head of an old Man dozing in a rocking chair before the fire.

Seledrith laid down the basket, settled the baby in a cradle next to the rocking chair, and pulled up a lap-robe that had slipped down, tucking it gently over shoulders and under chin, and laying a soft kiss upon the shaggy head. ‘There you are, Father,’ she said. ‘You and little Robin have a nice nap together...’

She hung up her shawl, took up the basket again, and pulled the curtain to behind her as she re-entered the shop. ‘There we are,’ she said briskly. ‘Now, what was it you misses were wanting?’

 ‘Pocket-handkerchiefs,’ Diamond said promptly. ‘One of the boxes I packed seems to have been left behind.’

 ‘Well that will not do at all!’ Seledrith said. She moved behind the counter and poked the Man. ‘Gwillam! The misses want pocket-handkerchiefs!’

 ‘Yes, my love,’ the Man said, rising cautiously, meeting Diamond’s quizzical glance and looking hastily away. He really did remind her of someone... He hurried to another shelf. ‘We put the hobbit-sized handkerchiefs here, in anticipation...’

The bell jangled vigorously as a youth entered, small child chortling on his shoulders. ‘Here we are!’ he cried joyously. ‘Merileth’s put her feet up and I offered to take little Berenor for the afternoon to give her some rest!’

 ‘Robin!’ Seledrith chided. ‘Your father’s asleep, and so is the baby!’ She added in a confiding tone, ‘And we have customers!’

Robin turned to bow to the hobbits, little Berenor squealing, fists grasping the youth’s hair firmly to help him keep his seat.

 ‘Misses!’ Robin said grandly, but as he rose Diamond saw him shoot a look at Gwillam, whose back was still firmly turned as he rummaged the shelves. ‘If you’ll excuse me...’

Seledrith huffed. ‘At the very least you can take this basket back to the kitchen, cut the cheese and stir the stew!’ she said.

 ‘Your least wish is my greatest desire!’ Robin said, and taking the basket he swept out of sight.

 ‘Gwillam?’ Seledrith said. ‘The pocket-handkerchiefs?’

 ‘Here they are, my dear,’ Gwillam said, turning reluctantly from the shelf, a sheaf of small linens in his hand.

Diamond saw that his hand trembled as he laid them down, and she touched his hand gently, as if by accident. He jerked at the touch, scattering the pocket-handkerchiefs such that several fell to the floor.

 ‘I—I beg your pardon,’ he stammered, even as Seledrith scolded under her breath and busied herself picking up the dainty squares.

 ‘You have it,’ Diamond said kindly, and something in her voice stilled him and caused him to meet her eyes squarely for the first time. ‘You have my full pardon,’ she said. ‘And my husband’s, for that matter.’

Pimpernel laughed. ‘What a thing to say!’ she cried. ‘Going about scattering pardon as widely as fluttering hankies on the wind!’

 ‘Yes,’ Diamond said, ‘but then we wouldn’t want Gwillam to be in trouble with his father... or his wife!’

 ‘Never!’ Seledrith said gaily. ‘He lives in fear of me as it is!’

To her satisfaction, Diamond saw a cautious smile bloom on Will’s—Gwillam’s face. ‘Absolute fear,’ he murmured, flashing a fond look at his wife.

 ‘I’ll take them all,’ Diamond said decidedly. ‘The fabric is superior, the stitchery is exquisite, up to your usual standard, Seledrith, or perhaps exceeding it!’

 ‘Why thank you, Mistress,’ Seledrith said. ‘I’ll just bundle them up for you...’

 ‘I’ll send someone to fetch them presently, and bring payment,’ Diamond said. Certainly Pippin would wish to tender his thanks in person, and Mayor Samwise as well. ‘Good day to you.’

 ‘Good day,’ Seledrith and Gwillam chorused, and the shopkeeper bowed deeply while his wife made a pretty courtesy.

 ‘But,’ Pimpernel protested as Diamond pulled her from the shop. ‘I wasn’t done looking...’

 ‘We’ll come back another day,’ Diamond said. ‘They weren’t quite expecting us so soon after arrival.’

 ‘And she didn’t say how much the pocket-handkerchiefs cost...’ Pimpernel said.

 ‘I know very well how much they cost,’ Diamond said firmly. ‘I’ve been in that shop many times, over the course of our visits to the Lake!’

 ‘But what if they’ve put their prices up, since your last visit?’ Pimpernel persisted.

 ‘O I’ll just slip a little extra in, to cover that contingency,’ Diamond said. A bag of gold ought to do it. Perhaps two.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List