Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Chain Reaction  by Estelle

Round Robin
Chapter 22
By Ginny

"A problem?" echoed Estel and Elrohir in dismay.

"We were blown off-course during the night. We're a good three hour sail from the village and our captain says there isn't one closer," said Elladan.

"So we sail back to the village. No big deal," said Estel, trying to calm his pounding heart. He'd feared Elladan was going to say their attackers were upon them or something else equally dire.

"We can't stay on open water," said Elladan.

"If they are looking for us, our lone fishing ship might catch their attention. Truly, any ship at all may be searched if they are determined enough to find us," added Elrohir, seeing where his twin was headed.

"What are we going to do then," asked Estel. Their adventure was catching up to him, his worry for Legolas and his brothers was eating at him; he simply wasn't in the mindset to figure out what their next move should be. He should have been; he was a Ranger, after all; but his trust in his brothers superceded that for the moment.

It was Legolas who answered. "Head for the nearest cove and hope they don't find us."

Elladan nodded even as Aragorn snapped. "No...we're not. We can't. We don't even know where we are!"

"We have to, Estel," said Elrohir calmly. "If they find us, they'll kill us all. Our only hope is that we survive the day to sail back to civilization tonight."

"Our captain says we're near Angbad. Not any place I'd like to stay for long, but it will do for today," said Elladan.

"Legolas needs help now," the ranger fumed angrily. "He may not have all day to hide. How can you even think about hiding?! I've never seen you run from an enemy before-- why now?"

"Why?" repeated Elladan, his temper close to fraying. "Look at us. Legolas is in no condition to be out of bed, let alone fighting. Elrohir is not much better. You're injured. I'm injured. None of us is in peak fighting condition. What do you want me to do, Estel? Seriously? We have an unarmed fishing boat, and little else. There is nothing we can do at the moment."

"This isn't right," grumbled Estel.

"Yes, it is," returned Legolas. "I like foolish risks as much as the next person, but I'd rather not openly flaunt our position to our would-be captors."

Aragorn looked from Legolas to Elrohir to Elladan and sighed. "I don't like this. But I won't fight it."

"None us do, brother," said Elladan, hugging him around the shoulders. "Thank you."

--------------------------------------------------

Elrond watched, appalled, as Moririme advanced on his hiding place. He had nowhere to go. The sea was several hundred yards to his right, at the bottom of a short cliff, but he didn't know how he'd use that to his advantage. He was on higher ground than she; but he wasn't sure that would be enough of an advantage. The sun was just beginning to rise, but that could impede either one of them.

How could she be alive? He was sure she was dead. There had been no pulse!

As she drew closer, she screamed at him. "Thought you could kill me, did you, Peredhil? Don't you understand what gift my master has given me? My heart beats for him and I live because he says so. Always! I am no worse for the wear from our encounter. I will kill you!"

His alarm grew at her words as his mind raced to come up with a plan. Moririme had to be stopped. She seemed to be fine, but as he watched, he noticed that she would stumble or sway for no reason. Perhaps she was not as healed as she'd like him to believe. He bided his time and waited for her to come to him.

--------------------------------------------------

Elladan and Aragorn stood on the deck, watching as the captain steered them to land as the sun came up. They had left Elrohir watching over Legolas below, which also gave him time to rest himself.

"Are you sure we can trust this man?" Aragorn asked his brother softly.

"He says he is Leithand's brother, and I believe him; the resemblance is too much for him not to be. He told me his brother sent him to guide us because he knows the surrounding lands better than Leithand."

Aragorn nodded. "Elladan?"

"We have no choice, Estel. I sense no evil from him. That will have to do."

Aragorn nodded again and they fell silent. "Is that a person?" asked Aragorn suddenly, pointing toward movement he could just barely make out.

Elladan followed his brother's finger, his Elven eyes allowing him to see much clearer. At first, he thought he must be mistaken. Surely it could not be who he thought he was. "Ai Elbereth," he cried softly. It was Moririme. What did this mean about their father? He looked to where she was heading and saw another figure emerging from the stones. "Ada!" he gasped.



TBC...





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List