Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Chain Reaction  by Estelle

Round Robin
Chapter 10
By Ginny


Legolas jerked to full alertness when Aragorn's scream echoed through the clearing. With a strength born from sheer Elven stubbornness, he broke the bonds securing his wrists. Not even totally aware of what he was doing, he struggled free of the ropes around his ankles and jumped off the wagon he'd been tied to.

He landed with a small gasp as the pain of his injuries seized him for a moment, but he pushed it ruthlessly aside with the knowledge that his friend needed him. As the clearing fell silent once more, his piercing gaze landed on the people around the fire. His heart sank as he spotted Aragorn on the ground.

He launched himself across the clearing toward the three slavers. He was no longer aware of the pouring rain or the pain that was threatening to make him pass out; all he knew was that he needed to get those people away from his friend immediately. To his ears, his movements were distractingly loud, but to human ears, he was still nearly silent.

The woman--he didn't know her name--looked up when he was just steps away. She didn't see the blow coming as he swung his wrist around and connected with her jaw. She fell limply to the ground and Legolas' swing carried through into the nearest man. It was just a glancing blow, but it was still enough to get the man out of his way. He turned his attention to Syrill, who was still standing over Aragorn, his hand on the hilt of his sword.

"Get away from him," he rasped warningly, anger pouring off of him.

"And why would I do that?"

If you don't, I'll kill you," said Legolas calmly. There was something about the infuriated elf that made Syrill pause. Despite the fact that Legolas was filthy, bloody, and soaked to the bone, there was something inherently threatening about him.

Syrill seemed about to comply, and then stopped. "I don't think you will," he said, and nodded slightly.

Legolas felt something slam into his already injured ribs and he fell to his knees, gasping for air. He looked up and saw the other man--Varan, his mind thought with ironic clarity--standing above him with a branch in his hands. He and Syrill were laughing.

His final thought before he passed out was, 'Now would be an excellent time for Elladan and Elrohir to show up.'


TBC...






<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List