Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Chain Reaction  by Estelle

Round Robin
Chapter 6
By Alex


Author's Note: Thank you to all the writers who gave me something great to continue with! Enjoy!!

--------------------------------------------------

The sun was hidden behind the storm clouds as it rose from the east. Buckets of rain fell from the sky, as though punishing those who ventured out in the storm. However, there was little other noise other than that of the storm; most creatures remained deep within their homes.

Footsteps were slow and audible as the booted feet moved in and out of the slimy mud. Aragorn's body was almost at its limits. The combination of the searing pain and exhaustion had left him close to collapse. Despite his weariness, he continued to push himself onward, stumbling frequently on the mud.

He rested briefly against a tree, struggling to keep his eyes open. Distantly, he heard sounds of mumbled words and moved toward the sound, quickening his pace slightly. Through the rain, the silhouette of two men could easily be made out, as well as something on the ground between them. He listened as he came closer, picking out some of the words from the howl of wind.

"...sell...market...Gondor...slave...elf..."

Aragorn seized a sharp intake of breath and froze, attempting to hear more above the fierce wind. The mention of the word elf intensified Aragorn's worry, as he could still not make out any tracks that Legolas might have left behind. If these men were holding Legolas captive, winning a fight in these conditions could be tough, especially if the elf was not in a position to lend help.

The ranger quickened his pace to a fast walk, ignoring the burning pain that was spreading through his leg. The men hoisted a body up between them, and Aragorn could just make out weak struggles from the dead weight.

As he ran faster and got closer, he could see that the two men were not alone. Men and horses were just visible in the surrounding area, as were two small wagons. The struggling figure went limp in the arms of his captors just as Aragorn reached the edge of their camp.

He crouched down, hidden by the brush, silently watching the men carry their captive towards the wagon. Aragorn peered closely at the body as the men walked past, and his heart skipped a beat. The figure had long blonde hair and pointed ears. Time seemed to pass in slow motion as the men continued their trek to their wagon, and roughly tossed the elf in it.

Aragorn rose, intending to get his friend back by any means deemed necessary; but the stabbing pain in his leg forced him to think first. If a fight did start, winning in these conditions would be tough; he was injured and severely outnumbered, and the odds were not in Aragorn's favor. Furthermore, the weather had not gotten any better; the rain continued to come down in torrents and the wind had gained considerable strength. Realizing a rescue attempt at this point would be futile, a frustrated Aragorn crouched down once again to think up a plan.



TBC...





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List