Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Breaking of the World  by Coreinha

"Are you wondering who I am?

"A stranger wandering into a dusty inn, clad in a heavy cloak and hood. How strange that I do not order a drink, nor ask for a room to spend the night. I am here to tell a tale.

"Not some Fairy-tale meant to soothe a frightened child in the night, nor a frightening story to be whispered 'round a campfire late at night.

"Perhaps you have heard the childrens tales of the noble King who reunited a kingdom, who wed an Elf maid more beautiful than the evening stars. Or maybe the story of a rare friendship between an Elf and a Dwarf who sailed into the West after the death of their beloved friend.

"Maybe you are very educated, very learned in the ancient histories of Middle-earth and know of an Elven Prince born in a forest that has since faded into the pages of history.

"All these things are true.

"I lived them.

"No tale, however, is told of what happened after all these things. I'm certain many have wondered what became of the Elf and Dwarf who sailed away into the sunset and were never heard from again. That is why I have come to you, here in the fading world of men, perhaps mere moments before all things will come to an end.

"'No Mortal can set foot here, Legolas. Frodo and Sam were special exceptions, because they bore Sauron's Ring. You may stay, but your Dwarven friend must turn back.' That was what the Valar said, though there was sorrow in their eyes when they made their decree.

"I would not leave him, though he said I should, and that he could care for himself just fine, despite his aged eyes and limbs.

"I know it broke his heart that he could not rejoin Galadriel and the rest of my kin in Aman, but I think it touched him that I refused to be parted from him, though I knew that someday soon the choice will be taken from both of us.

"I had lost so many friends in recent years, I could not bear to say good-bye once again. At the time, I think I planned to return to Valinor after...well, I did not want to think after what, but it was always in the back of my mind.

"Rather than return to Middle-earth, Gimli and I sailed aimlessly across the Sea; my heart soothed by the gentle rhythm of the waves and his companionship. I know little of what he thought in those last few years we were together; he did not speak much at all, at least, not about the things that really mattered.

"Three years after we departed from Aman together, I wrapped his still body in a snow white sheet and gently cast the last of my Mortal friends into the Sea.

"Some things are better left unspoken, I suppose. But I wish I had told him that last night everything he meant to me. I wish I had told him that he was one of the best friends I ever had, that I did not mind sailing aimlessly around the world, because it was with him. If I had known that when I awoke the next morning he would not be there, I would have. I hope he knew that I loved him like a brother...and that he is at peace

"The strange thing is, I never considered returning to Valinor, though I am certain the option was open to me. Instead, I made the choice of Maglor Feanorian and wandered the shores of Middle-earth. Ever alone, it would have been easy for me to give up my fea to Namo and tread the Halls of Mandos in peace, but I did not. For Seven Ages, I have watched the World of Men from a distance, recording the events in my mind. I think I may be the only one, besides Eru, who knows the truth behind many mysteries of your people.

"Now, here we are at breaking of the world, when all things will come to an end.

"Morgoth has risen again, and is on the verge of defeat. Perhaps a single strike from the Hero's sword will end his threat forever, and all things will be remade. Sometimes I wonder who the Hero is; perhaps Elrond Peredhil, or one of his sons, who sailed long before I did.

"Maybe it is a Mortal.

"Maybe it will be the Valar.

"In the end, I do not care. All I wish for now is to close my eyes forever and lie in the peaceful darkness. To know no more pain, heartache, loneliness...

"I do not know why I sought a companion in these last moments, or why I chose to tell a tale that has never been finished. It does not matter. I am ready to solve the mystery of what lies beyond Arda."

As he speaks these words, an unnamed Hero forces Morgoth back into the Void. Far above Middle-earth, a star once known as Earendil, and simply called the North Star by Men shatters into a thousand pieces, spilling light over the world like a waterfall.

Similarly, the Misty Mountains burst open in a spray of glory, and the Sea lights up like a piece of glass with a candle underneath. This is the light of the Silmarils, broken to pieces by the force of Morgoth's defeat, and with them comes the end of Ea.

Then all falls into darkness and a hundred million souls fly upward into the Eternal Rest promised them at the birth of the world.

Amid the cacophany of souls reuniting with their loved ones, a familiar voice echoes joyfully over an ageless plain.

"Aragorn? Gimli? My friends!"

 





        

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List