Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Pippin's Patent Remedies  by melilot hill

Beta: Llinos
Disclaimer: The characters and settings belong to J.R.R. Tolkien


No 1. Headache Cure

“You know, Cousin,” Pippin said to Frodo, while climbing up on the big Gondorian bed on which his cousin was lying. “I think I know what causes these headaches for you.”

“Do you now?” Frodo asked amused.

“Hmm hm,” Pippin replied. “You are just too tense. You must learn how to relax.”

“And I suppose you know a remedy?” Frodo asked, starting to wonder what his young cousin was up to.

“As a matter of fact I do,” Pippin proudly stated. ‘My mother used to do these exercises when she had one of her very bad headaches. She taught them to me too.”

“I never knew you suffered from bad headaches,” Frodo said, sounding slightly worried.

“Oh no! It was nothing like that,” said Pippin. “She made me do those exercises in the hope they would calm me down somewhat when I was a bit too active.”

“And did it help?” Frodo asked, curious now.

“They did help to relieve my mother from her headaches, but not from her boisterous son!” Pippin laughed.

“Why doesn’t that surprise me?” Frodo said, laughing too.

“Shall I teach you then?” Pippin asked eagerly.

“Why not,” said Frodo. “It can’t do any harm and it may do some good.”

“All right, lie down on your back,” Pippin instructed. “Now, make fists, raise your arms a bit and push your elbows into the mattress. Hold it like that. Now let your arms fall back and relax.”

“My arms are starting to tingle!” Frodo exclaimed.

“That means it’s working,” Pippin said enthusiastically. “Are you ready for the next part?”

“I am,” Frodo agreed.

“Make a frown, squeeze your eyes shut, press your jaws together, push your tongue against the roof of your mouth, press your lips together, press your chin against your chest and pull the back of your head downwards at the same time. Oh," Pippin added as an afterthought, "and don’t forget to breathe!”

Frodo tried to comply, but truly he didn’t know how to do all that at the same time. He got the suspicion that Pippin was playing a joke on him and he began to feel quite foolish.

“Pippin, are you teasing me?” he asked after his failed attempt.

“No, I am not,” Pippin said, slightly hurt. “This is really how it is supposed to be done.”

“But it made me feel like a fool,” Frodo complained.

“I already guessed that,” Pippin said, giggling. “You should’ve seen your face!”

“Don’t laugh at me,” Frodo replied, trying to sound stern, but failing. His smile gave him away. “Why don’t you try it, if you’re so sure of yourself.”

Pippin gave it a try, but failed hopelessly too. Frodo started to chuckle at the sight of Pippin’s contorted face and Pippin followed suit. It took them quite some time to calm down again.

“Well, Pip,” Frodo said trying to keep a straight face. “Those exercises really do help. I haven’t felt this relaxed in a long time.”

They looked at each other and started to laugh again.





        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List