Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Before He Was King  by Hobbitsrfun

“Ada! Ada!”

Elrond looked up as one of twins ran into Estel’s bedroom.

“What is it Elladan?”

“Arwen is home!”

“Now? What is she doing back so soon?”

“She has come to collect some books and documents to take back to Lothlorien.”

Elrond smiled happily.

“Well, let us go see her, shall we?” he asked Estel.

Estel frowned and halted when Elrond took him by the hand.

“What is it, child?”

“Ada, does Arwen have to know about what happened?”

Elrond knew Estel held a lot of respect for Arwen, almost resembling a crush. He knew Estel would be embarrassed if Arwen knew he had been in trouble.

“No Estel. There is no reason why she would be told. We will not speak of the incident again.”

Estel beamed. “Thank you Ada!”

“You are welcome. But let us get you changed into more appropriate attire to attend dinner. Bedtime will come soon enough.”

                                                                      ~~**~~

“Father!”

“Arwen! How fair you my Undomiel?”

Arwen dismounted from her horse and was immediately embraced by her father.

“I have missed you Ada!”

“You are home early this season”, Elrond commented as he broke the embrace.

“I needed some of your books, if I may. I am studying the constellations with Haldir. I wish to see my other grandparents.”

“You may help yourself to my library, Evenstar. But Haldir! Could I be foreseeing a son in law in the future?” the Peredhel joked.

“Yes father. But in the very far future. Haldir and I are merely acquaintances.”

“We are about to join for dinner. Are you hungry?”

“I am very. But at this hour, Ada?”

Elrond glanced at Estel, who looked at the ground.

“Yes, we were delayed. Allow your brothers to carry your things and then join us.”

“Thank you.”

Arwen started off in the direction of her room, but spotted Estel standing off to the side.

“Estel! How much you have grown in two seasons! I almost did not recognize you!”

Estel smiled happily as Arwen picked him up in a huge hug.

“Come, you can sit by me and tell me of your studies with father.”

Estel gladly took Arwen’s hand as they walked toward the dining hall.

**

“It has been quite some time since we had so many guests in Imladris. How fair you Gandalf?”

“I am well, thank you Lady Arwen. But we will be departing in the morn I’m afraid.”

“How long will you be with us, my child?”, Elrond asked his daughter.

“Three days, then I must return. I wish to return to my studies before the change of season.”

“But you still plan to spend the spring here with us I hope?”

“Of course Ada.”

Elrond sighed, relieved.

The meal pressed on and Gandalf spoke of the quest they were to set out upon in the morning.

“Excuse me Lord Elrond, but it appears your youngest has lost interest”, Bilbo pointed out.

Elrond looked over and smiled fondly.  Estel was asleep with his head on his arms on the table, his thumb in his mouth.

“Would you like me to take him to bed, father?”, Elrohir offered.

“No, that is alright. I will tend to it.”

The Elven Lord stood up and scooped the sleeping six year old into his arms. “I wanna listen to Gandalf’s stories”, Estel mumbled into his foster father’s shoulder.

“There will be another time for that, little one. It is past your bedtime.”

Elrond’s eldest children watched on in fascination. Their father was so much happier now that Estel was in their lives. And it was comforting to see that their father hadn’t lost his paternal instincts.

“I’ll be back”, Elrond said, dismissing himself.

He carried Estel down to his bedroom and changed him into his night shirt, before tucking him in to bed.

The next morning, Gandalf and his party bid farewell to Rivendell. Elrond returned to the healing room and once again arranged several bowls on the table. Once again he sat and waited for Estel, and once again Estel did not come. Elrond waited a bit before going down to his youngest child’s room.

“Estel?”

Estel looked up form the picture he was coloring on his bed, and smiled.

“Hello Ada!”

“Aren’t you planning to come to my study? I have lessons planned for you today.”

Estel frowned. “But you said I was not allowed to go there anymore, Ada.”

Elrond sighed. “That is right. I did say that, didn’t I?”

Estel nodded.

“You may enter the room in the presence of myself, all right?”

Estel smiled. “All right.” He jumped up and took his foster father’s hand.

“I need you to assist me with sorting the herbs. This way we will know what we need when we travel to Lothlorien with Arwen in three days.”

Estel looked up hopefully. “We, Ada?”

“Yes, we. You and I.”

“It will be a long journey, but I believe you and I could use the time together on the way back. It has been a long time since we have spent any leisure time together.”

“Just us? Not Elladan or Elrohir?”

“Just us”, Elrond laughed.

When they got to the room, Estel walked over to the desk. His eyes widened when he saw his dove nestled in the cloth nest.

“My bird, she is alive! You fixed her! Thank you Ada, thank you so much!” Estel said happily, turning back to give his father a hug.

Elrond chuckled. “You are very welcome, child.”

After the herbs were sorted, Elrond dismissed Estel outside to play.





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List