Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

My Dear Bandobras  by Le Rouret

Legolas Thranduilion, Lord of Dol Galenehtar, Called Recently "Legolas the Cunning" by Orodreth of Linhir (who conceded rather more ground to me than he had planned, much to Araval's delight),

To Bandobras son of Reginard Took, Most Loyal and Inestimably Superior Friend, My Esquire Even in His Youth, Devoted Son and Exceptional Cook

My Dear Bandobras,

What a delight it is to receive your letters, O my dear Little One, now that they are filled with words of comfort and not reprimand!  Well do I accept your wisdom, my Bandobras; it guided me when I most needed it, and now you are satisfied, well then, I am too.  Please do you take better care of your Uncle's house however!  Remember that he is to be bringing his bride there, and it will do their marriage some small harm to have the floor collapse beneath their feet in a year's time.  Perhaps you might forewarn your Uncle ere he begins his rule in Crickhollow; it would do him good I think to examine the crawlspace, remembering the many pranks and jokes he played upon us during our journeys together, the incident concerning the moss in Mithrandir's pipe-weed in particular – if he has not relayed this tale to you it would behoove you to ask for it; let me say only that you and your wine-barrel put me in mind of Peregrin Took.

Things go well here; the autumn has so far escaped the sharp warning sting of winter, and the days have been clement, boding well for the upcoming Tournament.  The olive harvest was spectacular, my Bandobras – we were constrained to pickle rather more olives than usual, for the oil-vats were overflowing and we ran out of amphoras, and were obliged to seal it in jars as well.  Now we have a great stockpiling of the stuff, and I have just concluded a rather lucrative pact with Linhir to sell them through our own merchants and not Gondor's; at first one might think this robs the kingly hand that protects us but through docking fees and tithe King Elessar shall receive his share.  Lord Araval is visiting me now, my Little One, and when I related the conversation round the conference table to him he laughed long and loud, his great belly – it has grown no less over the years, and his sedentary habits encourage this – jiggling like aspic.  He is so jolly, is he not, my Bandobras?  It is a treat simply to have him in my court; he produces levity with nearly as much alacrity as does Galás.  And that is yet another aspect of yours, Little One, for which I pine; you are always so cheerful, lifting the spirits of those who surround you; I have missed that much this past year.  Araval is amusing and Galás quite clever, but there is naught but Hobbit-humor that reaches into my blackest mood to return me to the light of the sun.

All my work and frantic activity is paying off – our borders are secure, our storehouses full, our neighbors satisfied and our lands at peace.  I am hoping that the following years shall be those of rest and tranquility, not only for my own people but for me as well; I have been far too busy, and betimes I gaze out the window of my study, as I am seated at my desk involved in the litter of papers that seem to breed there, and gaze out over the mountain slopes and sigh; how pleasant it would be, Little One, to simply arise from my work, descend the stairs to the stables, mount my Piukka and ride into the forest not to return for a month at least!  To be sure my life has so far been filled with battle and conflict, siege and assault, but still there were times I could simply dwell at peace with my companions for a time, thinking of nothing but our next meal, and the pleasure we had in our company.  Remember, my Bandobras, how enjoyable it was when it was only you and Gimli and me, traveling down the Anduin to the first Grand Tournament?  We were in no especial hurry; the lands were peaceful, the food plentiful, our work satisfying; do you realize, Little One, that was the last time I felt so at ease?  Nine years has it been since I felt tranquil enough to laugh and sing and play as we did then; I have been so caught up in the establishment of my fiefdom I have not had the time to rest.  But I can espy the light ahead – my dark days of frustration and worry are drawing to a close; soon, next year I hope, shall we be fully settled and things may begin to fall into more pleasant patterns – banquet and dance, feast and festival shall be marked solely by the desire to celebrate, not be surrounded and sullied by trade agreements, delegations, formal receptions and political ramifications.  Will that not be most agreeable, Little One? 

It also appears my betrothed feels the same; she is most enthused concerning the pageantry of the Tournament, and Hirilcúllas did inform me not three days hence she had expressed interest in seeing to Imrahil's reception this winter.  Hirilcúllas affirms what others have said to me, that Laustairë has grown quieter yet more determined to find her place within my court; that I find comforting, and reassuring as well; I had thought my future with her was tremulous at best, but this is a promising sign, that she is so willing to accept rebuke and instruction.  I am still not happy, but I am less unhappy than I was previously, and that is better than nothing.

My Lady Mother shall be here in the spring as well; she is disappointed, she said in her last missive, that the wedding was delayed but understands well why I have done so; she also it appears has heard the rumors of my betrothed's inexperience (through Dúrfinwen no doubt) and expressed to me her concerns that perhaps she erred in forcing the issue prematurely; neither she nor my Lord Father want for me to be wed to one who is no good match for me.  Also she was most chagrined by Seimiel and Kaimelas' leap into the matrimonial foray; Seimiel was one of her best-beloved ladies' maids and she as you did harbored secret hope our love for each other would grow from that found between siblings to something deeper.  Also did I sense, written subtly in her words, discontent that my opinion of Laustairë is bereft of tender feeling.  Shall I apologize for that, my Bandobras?  In truth I cannot compel my heart to that state, nor do I think Laustairë would wish for me to so do; rather shall I allow myself to fall slowly in full control of my reason, for then shall it be made the deeper and more profound, and more lasting as well.  I hope that in fifty years' time I shall gaze at her with tender regard, looking forward to our journey together to Valinor; that I cannot presently oblige myself to do so is not indicative of any lack of regard on my part, but simply an honest assessment of my heart, and that I admit has been long in coming! 

King Elessar, when I relayed the difficulties you foresaw in your travel arrangements, did promise me a delegation shall be sent to fetch you in early spring, so that you and your dear mother may come to me in full safety and security and comfort.  I would not have you cast about in Bree for traveling companions, my dear Little One; it would be most unseemly for your mother to travel so; a lady of her age and bearing requires attendants and indulgences to ease the journey, which as you may recall is very long and arduous; I would not have ill befall her for all the ships sailing the Sea.  So wait you upon Elessar's men, my Bandobras, and they shall escort you in full pomp and luxury.

Certainly would I rather bring you to Valinor than to have you die upon the shores of Middle Earth, but it is comforting for me to know you would rather end your brief life here with me than in any other part of Arda.  How loyal are the Shire-folk!  Blessed greatly am I to have been so fortunate, that I have friends among the Halflings of the North; my life would be bereft of richness had I never met you!  For surely the greatest person I have ever met – and I include a good many Elven lords and mighty men – was Frodo Baggins of Bag End, who willingly did give his life and soul and the comforts of his home for the good of all, desiring neither recompense nor recognition.  Remember him, O my dear Little One, and seek to emulate his compassion and selflessness; his was a spirit all should desire to imitate, and were we all but a tenth the part of his heart Middle Earth should be better than Valinor.

Well, I had best go; for a wonder neither Hirilcúllas nor Galás are at my elbow pressing me for signatures or my presence at meetings; however Piukka has grown lazy, and if I am to win accolades for my lady during the Tournament he had best be taken to task for his indolence.  And as Laustairë haunts the stables or the library these days perchance I shall meet with her too; I would dearly love to spend the more time with her, so that we shall get to know each other better; if none interrupt us we might even ride out into the forest for a while so we can talk.  I may not be in love with my lady, O Bandobras, but that does not mean I do not desire her company; she is lovely, as I have said, and possesses charming manners and a quick tongue; that is entertaining in itself, and worthy of exploring further.

Write to me and soon, my dear Little One!  How I long for Spring, that you might be with me!

Your Master,

Legolas





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List