Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Long She Awaited Her Sorrow  by Tinuviel ylf maegden

Night's serinity can not be appreciated unless experienced in complete solitude. Though the stars had seemed bright and alive with light (and she had cursed them as well before), Elfhild hoped the darkness behind them would wrap her like a cloak, and she could pass from all eyes.

She had gone out among her people in disguise before, to see and hear from them how they faired. A taste of simple, rustic life. That "family" life she had longed for and then loathed. But now there was a chance...this one chance, as it were. "Just a bit farther, m'lady," came the gravely voice of Freya, not far ahead. They passed down the darkened streets, until they came at last to a house with twinkling yellow light within--somewhat seperated from the others. The queen fancied she felt a special warmth and radiation from out those windows...but perhaps it was only a waking dream.

With a sudden jolt she realised she was inside the house; her tendency to drift out of the present had become more persistant in the last few years. Her eyes adjusted, and she saw in the center of the floor a crackling, warm fire. Around the fire faces began to materialize. There were five people. First she saw the unmistakable delphium eyes of Freya in her ash smudged face, her red ringlits falling in a heavy mass to her shoulders. Then the jade-green eyes of a little girl appeared, sparkling bright in her pink face. The third child seemed slightley older than the last, but with eyes black as raven wings. The fourth a young woman with long golden tresses, smiling with a dreamy countenance.

But the eyes that would be impressed on the soul of Elfhild to the end of her days were those who's gaze took a moment to sink in. They were silver, silver and deep and magickal as starlight on the ocean to the West. Her snow white hair indicated she was one who had wintered into wisdom, an assumption confirmed by the playful but knowing smile she wore. "Come in, wine min, my child."

Elfhild sank down amidst their throng. The old woman--unquestionably the wise woman Rhiannon--continued her gaze of knowing. "My daughter Freya has told me of your problem." She said "daughter" with such affection, Elfhild would never have doubted it had she not known the truth. She nodded. Though most people would have found it uncomfortable, the old woman took Elfhild's face in her hands. The queen felt a trememdous warmth and radiation of strength in flow to her from those knotted, whithered hands. "Without birth, there is no life. Without life, there is no death. Without death, there is no re-birth, and without re-birth, there is no life." The old woman's smile faded. "Remember these words, child. Brand them on your soul, for though they may not mean much now, in the furture you will cling to them, and find they express your soul. We all find solas and truth in that fact, one day."

Rhiannon sighed, and let her touch gently slide from Elhfhild's face down to her hands. "You have good, strong hands. Like those of a scylding, though thy touch is not un-gentle. Your spirit is wild, untame. That has saved you before; it has saved you from hiding in your sorrow."

The old woman continued to stroke her hands. "You say you want this child to please your husband and fufill your duty as a wife, and yet I say to you, you are no man's. You want this child, for you know you want to feel complete. You want to identify your body with the Great Mother's. But I say to you you must find completness in your soul first. Your spirit is willing and strong, but your body is lith and young." The old woman's eyes filled with sudden sadness, a sight that took Elfhild off guard. "But this also do I precieve. By fate, you know in your heart it is time for you to concieve a child. And perhaps it is so."

Rhiannon then took a pouch of herbs and a phial from out her robes, having obviously prepared for this moment. "This is female herb, also called Chast Tree Berry. It will help with your fertility. This is Evening Primrose Oil," here she indicated the phial," take it from menstration to ovulation, and it will also help your body." Elfhild reached out to take the items, but the old woman gracefully snatched them back. "But this also is so, by some design, ill in recieving," Her grey eyes gleamed."If you bear this child, Elfhild, Queen of Edoras, you will die."

There have been maidens and queens of renown who dared the darkness and fought with it on the battlefield. There have been warriors long immortalised in songs and tales for their chivilry, yet even Helm Hammerhand was not as brave as Elfhild and what she did. A sudden grace and pride and love from her elder race came forth. Placing a coin in the woman's witherd palm, she took the medicin. "I thank you for your help, my lady Rhiannon." But the old woman smiled and returned her money. "They're a gift, child."

Soon Elfhild and Freya were walking back to the Golden Hall. The queen was trembling and reeling with unbelieving bliss. She even went so far as to embrace the fiery-headed girl, who was very suprised by the gesture. A very fine little girl, Elfhild observed, and with a thrill of excitement thought, "Perhaps I'll have one just like her." But then she stoped dead in her tracks. "No, Theoden will have one just like her. But I will be at peace amidst my ancestors, knowing I brought her into this world." And on that note she proceeded to her chambers.

* * *





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List