Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Long She Awaited Her Sorrow  by Tinuviel ylf maegden

Life encompassed the garden where Elfhild stood. A cascade of colours burst forth from every bush, and hung from every tree. Birds sang sweetley in the June morning. She smiled as she spun and watched the fair and exotic satins of her gown turn with her, yellow as the sunbeams that fell upon her upturned, smiling face. Jewles grand adorned her, and a wreath fair was set upon her clear brow. She breathed her testimony to the fair flowers, "I am happy now."

She had already endured the company of her maidens, giggling and whispering advice as they braided gems and flowers and ribbons into her desert colored hair. Though pretending to be offended in her young chasity, Elfhild had truley been thrilled.

And now she stood before the notable Druid who would perform the ceremony...the ceremony that would make her his! She looked upon her Lord, Theoden, whom she loved. Golden light dusted his flaxen hair and beard. The Druid bound their hands, and they were sworn to eachother. She saw her Lord's bosom swell as he breathed his vow, and her hands trembled at his touch. They were givin blessings of happiness, love, wealth, and children. "Truley," she thought, "I am happy now."

Her eyes shone like the moon as she realised they were wed, and she kissed her Lord--now her husband! there before the court of Edoras, her friends and loved ones. She was now their Queen. And she laughed merrily at the feast and dancing and the excellent minstrils that followed her handfasting ceremony. Her mind reeled with pleasure. Goodness, how young she was, and now a wife and Queen! But it did not matter, not now while the night lasted.

Later, Theoden, her love, led her to their bridal chamber. Hangings of green and white adorned their bed posts, and the sheets were of gold. "And for now," she thought," everything else has passed out of existance. The world is only he and I."  She let herself be sweapt away by her love's soft embrace and tender kisses, brushing like moth wings, and though she had left behind her home, family, and her life of simplicity and innocence, she beheld the sparkiling golden token on her pretty white hand that proved her happy now.

*





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List