Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

To See Your Face Again  by Meldewen Ilce

`~~~*~~~`

'...There at last when the mallorn-leaves were falling, but spring has not yet come, she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and nephredil bloom no more east of the Sea...'

`~~~*~~~

Arwen stared at the familiar form before her, and when she spoke it was a hoarse, questioning whisper, “Ada?”

The face that was her father’s softened and the form before her made a negative gesture, “No, child, I am not your father. I am Elros, son of Eärendil also called Tar-Minyatur.” He drew near as she gasped realizing who he was, “And by your features you are of my brother’s house.” As he spoke, he touched her face, and smiled, “Yes, I can see Elrond in your face.”

“And you, dear Uncle, have the face I never thought to see again so as long as the World lasted,” Arwen replied, touching his face as well.

There aren’t supposed to be tears in the Timeless Halls of Ilúvatar, and yet there as Arwen and her uncle Elros each searched for a small piece of one they both loved in the face before them. Because he was Elrond’s twin, Arwen could see her father’s face in his more easily than he could in hers and this caused her to smile.

When she smiled, Elros  suddenly laughed, and joyous years streamed down his face, “Blessed be the name of Eru, for He has given me back a small piece of my brother here in His Halls!” Elros exclaimed, and his face fell, “But tell me, child, how is it you come here so far from your Elven kin and your father?”

At his inquiry, Arwen pulled away, turning to look behind her where Aragorn stood but a little ways from them as he had allowed Arwen to meet her long lost uncle alone. Elros’ face lit up when he saw his descendant approach, take his niece’s hand, and kissed it, “Ai, now I understand. So as it was with Lúthien and Beren, you chose both the sweet and the bitter. You chose to love a mortal Man.

“Aye, Uncle, I did.”

Elros smiled again, holding his hand out to her,  “Come you must tell me of my brother and I in turn will tell you stories of the childhood I shared with him…”

THE END





        

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List