Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Trust a Brandybuck and a Took!  by Grey Wonderer

This was written for a challenge on Hobbit Ficathon and is told with conversation only per the challenge.  Features Frodo at 30, Merry at 16, and Pippin at 8.

"IN A TENT SOMEWHERE IN HOBBITON"

“What was that?”

“Hmmm, oh, I think that was someone’s wagon passing on the road just down the hill from here. Go to sleep, Pip.”

“Listen, Merry. Did you hear that? That’s not a wagon. I think that was an animal or something very big. Did you hear it?”

“I don’t know about Merry, but I was asleep until I heard you, Peregrin Took and I wouldn’t have heard that other noise at all if you hadn’t been talking loud enough to wake me.”

“But, Frodo, I really do think there’s something out there.”

“Of course there’s something out there, you little goof. The woods are full of animals and bugs and all sorts of things at night just like they are in the daytime. They won’t hurt you. Now, lay down, cover up, and go to sleep so that tomorrow we will all be able to stay awake.”

“Frodo?”

“Yes, Pippin?”

“What sort of bugs?”

“Frodo did you have to mention bugs? Now, he’s going to start on that.”

“I just asked is all, Merry. I like most bugs, but some of them are kind of creepy. I don’t want to sleep with any of them, even the nice ones. Do you, Frodo?”

“I wouldn’t mind sleeping with them if they were quiet. Lay down, Pippin and let Frodo and I sleep even if you aren’t going to. Now, what are you doing? Quit wiggling around and lay down, Peregrin Took! I am about to thrash you.”

“I’m just getting comfortable is all, Merry. I can’t sleep if I’m not comfortable. The ground is very hard and this tent doesn’t seem to have as much room in it as I thought it would. You need a bigger tent, Frodo.”

“No, I need fewer cousins.”

“Hehehe, that’s funny, Frodo. Now, go to sleep, Pip squeak or we won’t ever do this again.”

“I’m going to sleep, Merry. I don’t know why you’re being so mean to me. I haven’t done anything. It’s just very noisy out here in the woods. It’s very hard to sleep with the noise.”

“The noise of you talking about how noisy it is out here is what is keeping me awake, Pippin. Now, go to sleep.”

“Fine, I’ll just lay here and listen to all those sounds while you and Frodo sleep.”

“Who’s idea was this, anyway?”

“Yours, Frodo. You said, ‘Merry, wouldn’t it be fun to put the tent up outside of the smial near the trees and sleep out in it with Pippin?’ That’s what you said. Then I said, ‘Yes, Frodo that would be fun for all of us. I think Pip is old enough now and I think he would enjoy it.’ Then you said, “Would you like to camp out, Pip?’ Then Pippin said, ‘Oh, yes, Frodo!’”

“I don’t sound like that, Merry!”

“Yes, you do, Pip.”

“You’re making fun of me. You do that all the time. You try to sound like a Took and you don’t do it right.”

“I think I do it perfectly well. My mum’s a Took, or she was before she married my papa, so I think I know what a little, squirmy Took sounds like.”

“I’m not squirmy and I don’t sound like that. Do I Frodo?”

“Agh! You both sound too loud and too annoying right now, Peregrin. Now, if you don’t both go to sleep, I am going to get up and walk the few feet or so between here and Bag End and go into my nice, quiet room and get into my nice comfortable bed and go to sleep. I will leave you two out here to fight all night about such ridiculous matters as what Pippin sounds like and what sort of bugs are in the woods.”

“See, now lay down before you make Frodo angrier, Pippin. Sorry, Frodo.”

“Frodo?”

“Yes, Pippin?”

“Could we both go in your room and sleep and leave nasty, ole Merry out here in this uncomfortable tent?”

“If anyone gets left out here, it should be you, Pippin, not me.”

“Wait a minute, both of you! Now, just who was it that wanted to sleep out here in the first place?”

“You did, Frodo, remember? It was your idea.”

“Merry’s right, Frodo. You asked me if I wanted to and I thought you and Merry wanted to and so I thought that I should want to, so here we all are. Don’t you want to?”

“Don’t I want to? I thought that, oh, never mind. Just never mind any of this. What say that all three of us go back inside Bag End and crawl into our beds and leave this tent to the bugs.”

“Now, that is the best idea that you’ve had all evening, Frodo. What do you think, Pip? Do we go inside and sleep?”

“I was just getting comfortable, Merry, but if you and Frodo want to go in, then I guess it will be alright.”

“Aghhhhhhhh! That’s it! Everyone in the Smial now and I had better not hear a word out of either of you. You both have your own beds so go to them and leave me in peace! And don’t wake Bilbo!”

“Merry, can I sleep with you since Frodo is in such a bad mood?”

The End





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List