Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Reflections  by Pipwise Brandygin

A/N: Set just after Gandalf tells the hobbits that he won't come with them back to the Shire.

Among the Great

"When are we going to see you again, Gandalf?" Pippin asked tentatively as he rode up alongside the old wizard, touched by a sudden fear that they might be saying goodbye forever, and wanting very much to be close to him, and to not let him go just yet, if that were possible. "You could come to the Shire, you know. There’s no need for you to help us, if you think you shouldn’t. You could leave us to do whatever needs to be done, and afterwards we could sit on The Hill and smoke our pipes, like you and Bilbo used to do." He looked up at his friend, his throat tight with emotion. "I thought you would want to see the Shire again nearly as much as we do."

"Do not fear, my lad." Gandalf replied, smiling down at the young hobbit. "We will see one another again. You will understand soon enough why I must leave you."

"But we wouldn’t even be here if it wasn’t for you," Pippin replied sadly, wishing that he could make the wizard reconsider.

"Perhaps not," Gandalf replied. "But you would not be here either, if it were not for your own courage and faith. The time has come when you shall lead, Peregrin Took, and you will do so with the same qualities that have led you this far. You no longer need me, even though it may not seem that way yet."

After a moment’s thought, Pippin met Gandalf’s gaze with a new resolve. "I shall do my best then, Gandalf," he answered. Gandalf’s confidence was never misplaced, after all, and Pippin would never stop wanting to earn it.

"I know you will," the wizard reached out to clasp his shoulder encouragingly. "And you will not be alone, of course." He glanced at the other hobbits riding ahead and turned back to smile warmly at Pippin, his eyes twinkling.

"Thank you, Gandalf," Pippin whispered, blinking back tears. "For everything. I shall miss you ever so much."

"And I shall miss you, my brave lad. We have travelled far indeed, have we not? And I have watched you grow not least of all." Gandalf patted his shoulder. "I shall miss the cheerful company of all my dear friends, but I have no doubt that you shall give me cause to smile on many a lonely night to come. I am proud of you, Peregrin."

He winked at Pippin, but the young hobbit could not find the words to reply. Perhaps no more words were necessary, for when Pippin glanced up at the old wizard again, Gandalf seemed deep in thought; and did not speak again until they reached the crossroads where, long months before, the four hobbits had parted with Tom Bombadil.

***

Their paths did cross one more time, as Gandalf predicted, and Pippin found he had grown and learnt still more. Here on the shores of the Sea there was little time for parting words, and it comforted Pippin greatly that the wizard knew already what was in his heart. He always had though, hadn’t he, he thought with a small smile, as he watched the ship sail slowly into the West, bearing away forever the wisest people he knew.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List