Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Reflections  by Pipwise Brandygin

A/N: This is a double drabble, based on one of Shirebound’s lovely plot bunnies – "One evening, Aragorn is drawn to visit the restored White Tree, and finds that one of the hobbits has had the same idea. What do they talk about? Or do they talk at all?" This is a mixture of book and movie-verse.

Peace

I almost mistook him for Frodo, this still, quiet figure sitting alone in the half-light, but for the glimmer of silver on his chest. I almost wish not to disturb him, but I am curious to know what has brought my young knight here. What does this sight mean to him, that which to me is a promise heralded - my last wish fulfilled? I sit beside him without a word, and he does not lift his gaze from the white tree flowering before us.

"I still see it sometimes, in my sleep, you know. The way it was in the seeing stone," he says softly, as though sensing my thoughts, "And then I can scarcely believe it’s all over."

He looks down at the symbol of hope reflected on his surcoat, running his fingers over the embroidery thoughtfully, and only then does he look up at me, with those eyes that belie his tender years. I smile; for there is peace here in this courtyard of stone where once there was despair, and we are both here because of that.

He nods slowly, understanding. "But it is all over," he adds, firmly, with a grin that lights up his face.

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List