Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Reflections  by Pipwise Brandygin

A triple drabble written for Melnotmeli, who asked for bittersweet post-quest Pippin and Frodo :)

***

Respite

"Frodo..? Are you in here?"

The tatters of an uneasy sleep flee as Frodo wakes abruptly, groaning softly and squeezing his eyes shut against the light flooding the room. "Pip?"

"Ah… so you have been hiding. I suppose this means you’d rather not join in the dancing." A padding of footsteps and the bed shifts as his cousin lies down behind him, putting a tentative hand on his back. "I don’t blame you, of course," Pippin whispers. "Cousin Petunia has already asked me where you are three times, and now she’s started on poor Merry."

"Oh, Pippin," Frodo sighs, turning to face him. "I’m so very tired."

"Poor Frodo," Pippin says sympathetically, his eyes graver than Frodo was expecting. "The Tooks have worn you out again. Sleep, then... our brave Merry will take your place."

Frodo closes his eyes gratefully and feels Pippin place a gentle kiss on his forehead. Drifting off, he is dimly aware of being held tightly, of a sweet lullaby sung faraway. He frowns then, and drags himself out of slumber again, enticed by curiosity.

"Pippin? Whenever did you learn Elvish?"

"I didn’t, Frodo-dear… You used to sing it to me, when I was small." Pippin lifts his head and looks at him closely. "You’re getting forgetful in your old age, cousin."

"I suppose I must be," Frodo mumbles with a small sigh, and hugs Pippin to him. "Will you remind an old hobbit how it goes, then?"

Pippin nods, shifting nearer. "I would like to hear you sing it too, though," he whispers, and Frodo feels his young cousin smile into the crook of his neck. "It makes me feel like a lad again."

"You are still a lad," Frodo reminds him quietly before he closes his eyes, and adds his voice to Pippin’s song.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List