Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Reflections  by Pipwise Brandygin

A Light in Dark Places

They are each alone with their own wounds and sorrows, but there is fellowship to be had whilst they wait together for whatever news may come from the east. Merry’s companions seem accustomed to solitude and loss, for years of war and darkness have long been their curse; the noble families of Rohan and Gondor each consumed slowly from within by despair, ambition, and treachery disguised as counsel. Yet they have lessons to teach this hobbit of the Shire who has never wanted for company or love, growing up in the warmth and security of a large family in peaceful times. He remembers home now as a bright, pure place in his heart at this loneliest point of his life, trapped between knowing how much darkness there is in the world, and being powerless to help fight it.

Merry finds his lessons in the youthful confidence of Bergil and the grave compassion and clear sight of Faramir: that hope need not die while their friends and brothers yet live... and that light and love may still be found unlooked for even in the darkest hours.

If it is possible that the gentle contest playing out before him daily in the gardens may portend the outcome of the war in the east, he hopes, for all their sakes, that the warmth of the sun in Faramir's regard for her will soon drive away the lingering shadow on his shield-sister’s heart.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List