Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Light Out of Darkness  by shirebound

Thank you so much, everyone, for your support of this rather unusual story.  I’ll be traveling next week, so there will be a delay in writing/posting Chapter 5.  It’ll be up as soon as possible.

Regarding a question many of you asked about Chapter 3, “Light recognizes Light” is an alternate form of something I wrote in “Sing Me Home” -- “Home is that place, or that person, that sings the song we recognize, and which recognizes us.”

Responses to reviews are located at the end of the chapter.

DISCLAIMER:  Of course. The characters don’t belong to me, I just get to think about them day and night.

___________________________

LIGHT OUT OF DARKNESS

Chapter 4 -- Isengard, August 22

“Gems and crystals and veins of precious ore glint in the polished walls; and the light glows through folded marbles, shell-like, translucent as the living hands of Queen Galadriel.”  Gimli,  The Two Towers, ‘The Road to Isengard’


Frodo had heard tale after tale from his kin and friends describing the ruin of Isengard -- but the scene, as the travellers approached it, astonished him, as it did his companions.  From the drowned land the Ents had created gardens and orchards, through which the now-freed River Isen flowed and sparkled.  Orthanc rose, dark and grim, from where it stood in the midst of a lake.  Saruman and his servant had gone, and Gandalf spoke long with Treebeard.

Frodo was saddened to hear that Legolas and Gimli were to take their leave of them there, and would ride together northeastward through Fangorn Forest -- while Gandalf, the elves, and the hobbits would keep to the west of the mountains as they rode north.  Legolas and Gimli still had a long journey ahead: Legolas to his home in Mirkwood, and Gimli even farther, to Erebor, known to the hobbits through Bilbo’s stories as the Lonely Mountain.

While Treebeard was saying goodbye to Merry and Pippin, and Sam was wandering about, entranced by all he was seeing, Frodo and Gimli said their goodbyes.

“I have been reckoning a bit,” Frodo said as he and the Dwarf walked among the trees.  “Bilbo travelled with your father and his cousins for seven months before he and Gandalf started back to the Shire, and it is now just eight months since our company set out.”  He smiled at Gimli.  “Another Baggins is honored by a journey with a Dwarf... not that we have traveled together this whole time.”

“I wish that we had,” Gimli said.  “You and Sam were never far from our thoughts.”

“And the rest of you were never far from ours,” Frodo responded.

Gimli looked at Frodo gravely.  “I swore no oath to go with you into Mordor, Master Baggins, but I needed none.  It was always my intention to follow you to the Fire, if need be.”

“I know,” Frodo said quietly.

“And now,” Gimli continued with a sigh, “I must follow that Elf into a suffocating forest.”

“Because he went into the Glittering Caves with you.”

“Yes.  I promised that I would journey through Fangorn with him; therefore, I will do so.  A Dwarf pays his debts.”

“Sworn word may strengthen quaking heart,” Frodo said softly.  “You said that to Lord Elrond, just as we were about to leave Rivendell.”

“Pure foolishness,” Gimli grumbled, but with a twinkle in his eye.

“I doubt I will ever see Fangorn Forest.  What is different about it?” Frodo asked curiously.  “Why is Legolas so anxious to go back there?”

Gimli looked at him.  “Do you remember, in Moria, feeling that the weight of stone around and above you was crushing and oppressive?”

“Yes,” Frodo admitted.

“It is understandable,” Gimli smiled.  “I suspect that only Dwarves feel at home surrounded by good, solid earth and living stone.  There is a feeling about it of rightness, and a connection to those who lived long ago.”

“What of it?”

”That sense of belonging is how Legolas feels about Fangorn Forest, young hobbit,” Gimli explained.  “The ancient trees and their shepherds give him a sense of safety and peace.  While others might long for clean air and empty spaces, our noble Elf is comforted by the thick forests and green, living things older even than he.  Elves are connected to the life that dwells within trees, as are Dwarves to the life that dwells within rock.”

Frodo smiled at the familiar ‘young hobbit’.  He felt older than his 50 years -- much, much older -- although he knew he looked younger.  “Gimli,” he asked curiously, “how old are you?”

“I, too, am young -- a mere 139 this year.”  Seeing Frodo’s expression, the Dwarf chuckled softly.  “The children of Mahal -- he whom the Elves call Aulë -- are a hearty race, my friend.  We draw our strength from the earth as you draw yours from the green hills of your Shire.  And speaking of the earth, I wish to show you this.”

Gimli drew something from a pouch at his waist and gave it to Frodo.  It was a small, translucent stone -- crystalline and roughly faceted, yet wafer-thin in places and nearly weightless in Frodo’s hands.

“Hold it up,” the Dwarf advised, “and you will see one of the true jewels of Middle-earth.”

Frodo held the stone above him, and gasped as the sun’s rays shone through the crystalline layers.  Rays of light in every color enveloped him in a brilliant shower.

“It is like standing within Gandalf’s fireworks!” Frodo cried with delight.  He turned the stone this way and that, marveling as the beams of colored light swirled and danced about him.

“This stone represents but a fraction of what lies within the caves behind Helm’s Deep,” Gimli said.  “I was taking it to my father so that he might understand what awaits us there.”

Frodo started to hand the stone back to him, but Gimli would not take it.  “It is yours,” the Dwarf said gravely.

“Gimli,” Frodo said, wide eyed, “I cannot take this; it is too valuable.”

 “It would greatly honor me if you would accept this small token.”

“But your father should...”

Gimli chuckled.  “Bilbo rescued my father and his cousins from becoming a spider’s dinner, delivered them from prison, and went alone into a dragon’s lair where even Dwarves dared not enter.  Do you count your own deeds less?”  The Dwarf closed Frodo’s hand over the stone.    “Frodo, I have no dragon treasure with which to gift you at our parting, such that Bilbo received, but treasure comes in many forms.”

“I...” Frodo sighed and bowed his head.  “Thank you, Gimli.”  He looked up, a smile lighting his face.  “This is wonderful; it will remind me that even in the darkest places can be found beauty... and friends.”

“You now have all that you need,” Gimli said with satisfaction.

“All that I need?”

“You have the star-glass; the Lady’s gift combines light from the sky, and waters graced by her hand,” Gimli said softly.  “And now you also have a remembrance from the depths of the earth.  Air, water, and earth.  Wherever you go, Frodo, remember the splendor that is Middle-earth, from the highest star to the deepest cavern.”  With that, he bowed.

Frodo was deeply moved.  Wherever you go. Did Gimli know of Arwen’s offer of her place aboard ship?

“Wherever I go,” Frodo replied, bowing deeply in turn, “I will remember.”

“And now,” Gimli said, rubbing his hands together, “let us see if that Elf is ready to depart.  The sooner we reach Fangorn, the sooner we may leave it.”

“It would be best not to let the Ents hear you say that,” Frodo grinned as they rejoined their companions.

** TBC **

Ainu Laire:  I’m not currently planning a Minas Tirith Frodo-angst story, but the story I want to write about the hobbits’ encounter with the Barrow-wights will have more than enough angst.

angelsflame265:  I’m very happy that the imagery of Chapter 3 ‘worked’.

aprilkat:  Thank you so much.  Chapter 3 truly evolved into something that barely resembled my original idea for it.  I think that we’ll never completely finish telling the story of Middle-earth.

AzlaThe Silmarillion seems to be creeping into more and more of my stories!

cambino:  I love contributing gentle stories.  Thank you very much for letting me know that you’re enjoying them.

Connie:  I’m so happy that the starglass-and-tree imagery worked.  I tried hard to picture that courtyard and everything in it.

cpsings4him:  There’s so much darkness and despair, it’s a pleasure to focus on Light and healing.  As you know!

cuthalion:  Thank you.  I had no idea this “little story” would turn into something that anyone would call “glorious”.  My goodness.

Elanor1013:  I don’t know how Pippin snuck into Chapter 3!  That clever Took.

elentari angel:  Thank you!

Elven Kitten:  I think Chapter 3 was one of my most “descriptive” chapters ever.  Glad you enjoyed the imagery.

Elwen:  Oh my, what can I say?  Thank you from the bottom of my heart.  (And thank you for your review of “Reunion at Cormallen”!)

esamenThe Silmarillion is a tough read, but well worth it.  And... thank  you!  There is another story I want to tell from the “Quarantined” universe (actually a sequel to “Reflections of the Past”).  I’ll get to it as time allows.  *shakes your confetti out of my keyboard and continues furiously typing away*

Firnsarnien:  Oh my, thank you for telling me how powerfully Chapter 3 affected you.  Let’s all hold hands and imagine that yes, the magic still remains.

G:  Professor Tolkien’s tale is so interwoven and multi-layered, it’s a pleasure to find the ways that post-Quest events (such as the White Tree and the phial) have their roots in the past (such as the Two Trees of Valinor).

GamgeeFest:  I wish we all could have witnessed that “light show”!  At least we can run an infinite number of movies in our imaginations.

Gayalondiel:  I suspect that my unquenchable need to tidy up loose ends, and find connections between past and future people, things, and events aids in the proliferation of the plot bunnies!  Thank you so much for your lovely words.

Gentle Hobbit:  Thank you.  It was lovely to imagine the phial, the fountain, and the tree all lit up together.

girlofring:  If you ever want to know what you said in a review, just click on the story’s “reviews” and pull up the reviews for a particular chapter.  Then do a “search” on your name.  There it’ll be!  I can’t claim to “capture the essence of Tolkien”, but what a lovely thing to say.  Thank you.

Hanna M:  Glad you’re enjoying the story!  Answering folks who have been kind enough to review is a very important use of my time.  I’m very honored and complimented by reviews, and do my best to show it.

hobbitfeet13:  I do enjoy writing about the concept of characters seeing the “light” in each other.  It would be a lovely thing to be able to do in real life.

Hobbit Lily Baggins:  Frodo and Sam are a friendship beyond words, beyond time, beyond description.  I love writing about them.

katieelessar:  I know that these chapters are relatively short, but that’s the way this particular story wants to be told!

Laughing Half Elf:  Thank you so much.  How did Pippin sneak into that chapter?  :)

Leia Wood:  I love going into the past to shine light on the present.  You’re right -- Professor Tolkien’s tale has such depth, and so many layers, we never seem to reach the end of it. 

lindahoyland:  I like finding ways to compare characters and their experiences.  Frodo not saving Gollum and Gandalf not saving Saruman seemed an interesting association.

Lindelea:  There’s no Minas Tirith Frodo-angst story in the works, at least not from me!  Someone else will have to run with that plot bunny.  And... Gandalf states the lineage of the White Tree in ROTK, ‘The Steward and the King’:  “Verily this is a sapling of the line of Nimloth the fair; and that was a seedling of Galathilion, and that a fruit of Telperion of many names, Eldest of Trees.”

Lotrgirl1415:  Thank you!

lotrmatrixstarwarsfan:  It’s a joy to hear that I help you see Frodo ‘in a different light’.  Writing about the characters gives me new perspectives on all of them.  We share a birthday??  Lovely!

lovethosehobbits:  Calling something I’ve written “inspiring” fills me with joy.  Thank you.

Lyta Padfoot:  I think both Frodo and Sam are too humble to realize their true worth.  It’s a pleasure to highlight it.

Maura Labingi:  My chapter updates are as exciting as Ebay wins?  What a compliment!  :)

maya_ar:  I do think that poor Frodo needed to be reminded that he couldn’t save everyone.  And although the next chapter will involve an Elf, it won’t be Elrond.  Sorry!

melilot hill:  I love imagining the White Tree and the phial reflecting each other’s light.  Thank you for enjoying it too!

Nivina:  We do love hobbits so very much -- I’m glad we have each other to enjoy them with.

Pearl Took:  Thank you, Pearl.  I’m continually amazed at the places the Professor’s writings take me.  And us.

Periantari:  It was never stated in canon whether or not Sam shared with anyone the fact that he saw Frodo ‘shining with light’, but I thought it would be interesting if other characters (including Frodo) found out about it.  Thank you so much for your lovely words.

Raven Aorla:  I’m so glad that the “sweet” outweighs the “sorrow” in my fics; what a lovely thing to say.  And thank you so much for all the reviews.  (Yes, I first read LOTR in college -- in the 70’s!  I’ll just hobble back to my rocking chair now...)

Scifirogue:  Isn’t it wonderful when we can give Frodo closure?  I enjoy finding ways to do it.

shireling:  I think both Frodo and Sam are too humble to realize their true worth.  It’s a pleasure to highlight it.

Tathar:  Oh, how I love to give Frodo peace and healing.  I just love it.

Vilya0:  Thanks for reading!  I’m glad you’re enjoying the story.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List