Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The First Journey  by Manderly

See Ch. 1 for disclaimer.

Ch. 10 On the Riverbank

"Well, the rain has finally let up. I have not seen such a deluge in many years now, " Herendil said as he stood looking out the door.

"Will there be flooding?" Vanye asked worriedly. "Several cottages close to the river have already been evacuated and I understand that there have been damages by the water. I do hope that we will not be forced to leave as well."

Herendil was frowning. "Three days of rain certainly have not helped. What concerns me is the ice build-up along the riverbank. The water cannot flow and drain, as it should and we have seen the damage that an ice jam can do in the past. It is even more destructive than water. Tavaro and I will ride out today with others to check on the state of the riverbank, now that the rain has stopped."

"Can we come with you?" Legolas asked quickly, throwing a brief glance at Roitar who nodded eagerly. The rain in the past days had confined the younglings to the cottage and they were more than eager for any disruption to the tedium.

"I do not see why not, if you both promise to pay close heed," Herendil said.

"Herendil, will it not be dangerous for them to wander so close to the river when there is a threat of flooding?" Vanye asked with concern.

"They will be fine," Tavaro answered. "Baragallon and Aradun will help to keep them safe. Besides, if we do not let them leave this cottage, I am certain they will both succumb to boredom this very day."

Both Legolas and Roitar nodded in eager concurrence.

"I suppose they may go with you," Vanye said rather reluctantly. Then looking at the younglings, she added, "But be sure to wear your cloaks. The air is much colder today. I would not be surprised to see a snowfall. I had been so hoping that spring was here to stay."

"You have not planted the garden yet, have you?" Herendil asked.

Vanye shook her head. "Fortunately, no or my efforts would have gone to waste. I shall go and pack some food for you to take along as I doubt that you will return in time for the midday meal."

"Thank you, my love," Herendil said, leaning down to kiss her on the cheek. "You would not care to join us?"

Vanye shook her head. "I have much to do in the house as I would like to prepare some food for those who have been forced from their homes. Perhaps you and the others should see to helping them to repair the damages to their cottages."

"That we will certainly do, but first we must alleviate the threat of flooding and to see whether it is possible to clear the ice jam," Herendil said.

"Is this is a recurrent danger each spring?" Tavaro asked.

"Not each spring, but we did have a severe winter this year and the ice had built up thickly on the river. With the sudden warmer weather that we have had, and then this rain, the breakup of ice has been too quick. If we can move the ice floes so that they do not block the narrow parts of the river, then we may be able to avert any possible disasters." Herendil looked at his friend and shrugged. "Such are the perils of living so close to the river. One must accept the advantages with the disadvantages, I suppose."

"I will help with all that I can," Tavaro said. "And I am certain that Baragallon and Aradun are similarly inclined."

The two warriors nodded their silent acquiescence.

"I will help too," Legolas said quickly. "What can I do?"

Herendil grinned. "Thank you, Legolas. We will be certain to look to you for help when the need arises."

Tavaro laughed. "I would not be so eager to solicit his help if I were you, Herendil. Sometimes Legolas' idea of helping can create a whole new set of problems."

"That is not true. Legolas has been very helpful to me these past days." This was spoken by Vanye as she returned with a pack filled with food.

Legolas threw his brother a triumphant look "Vanye appreciates me, even if you do not."

Tavaro laughed again and drew his young brother into a quick embrace. "Oh, I appreciate you, bratling, for keeping me entertained, if for nothing else. Come, we should be off before the floodwater arrives."

"Tavaro! This is not a matter for jesting!" Vanye admonished rather severely.

"My apologies, Vanye. My intent was to hurry us along, not to make jest of any impending disaster," Tavaro said quickly, though he could not quite smother the smile from his face.

"Let us leave before my wife decides to withhold the food," Herendil advised as he kissed Vanye quickly, taking the pack from her.

"You two be careful," Vanye said as she straightened the cloaks of Legolas and Roitar, before planting a kiss on each of their foreheads.

"We will be careful, Naneth," Roitar promised.

The day was cold, despite the watery sunshine that bravely peeked through the scattering of ominous looking clouds. Legolas drew his cloak closer. It was nice to be outside again, even if it was cold. He carefully guided Hwesta along the muddy and water sodden grounds, avoiding the deeper puddles. He now understood why they took the horses even though the distance to the river was not far. It would be difficult to negotiate the rather treacherous ground on foot, not to mention that the mud would soil their clothing within a matter of steps.

"Have you ever seen a flood before?" Legolas asked Roitar who was riding with him. He could not help but feel his heart quicken with excitement at the thought that he may experience first hand a disaster that he had so far only heard of in tales recounted by others. He felt rather guilty for feeling any sense of excitement at all, but his heart was behaving in ways that were beyond his control.

"Yes, I have seen other cottages being damaged by floodwater, though we have been fortunate to escape such a fate so far as our cottage is much farther back from the river and it is also on higher grounds. It was frightening."

"Oh," Legolas said and forced himself to add, if a little half-heartedly, "I hope we will be fortunate this time as well."

"I hope so too," Roitar said full-heartedly.

Because of the condition of the grounds, it took them nearly an hour to reach the banks of the river. The first sight of the ice-jammed riverbank nearly took Legolas' breath away. Never had he seen ice piled up in such a manner. Boulder-like ice blocks were spilling haphazardly over the banks of the river, wedging and piling atop of each other like a child's toy blocks. In places, the piles surpassed the height of a full-grown elf. Where the river was the narrowest, the ice boulders were piling precariously close to the nearby cottages.

"I hope nobody is living in those cottages now, "Legolas said. "The ice looks like it can crush them at any time."

Roitar nodded grimly. "I have never seen the ice piled up like so."

"Legolas, Roitar, you two will follow Baragallon further up the river where the ground is higher. It is too treacherous here. Be certain to stay close to Baragallon. We will join you as soon as we are able," Herendil said, suddenly looking very solemn.

Obediently, the two younglings followed the guard to the higher ground, picking their way carefully between the ice boulders. They had abandoned their mounts some distance from the riverbank as their route became too difficult for the horses to negotiate. As they moved further up along the river, the boulders of ice began to thin out considerably, though the ground remained waterlogged and at times dangerously slippery. At last Baragallon deemed that they were at a safe distance from any impending danger and bade them to stop.

The banks of the river here, though free from any pile-up of ice blocks, were still heavily crusted with ice that had built up over the long winter. Long, thin fissures scarred the hardened crusts of ice, as if someone had drawn lines along the craggy surface with a very sharp blade. Beyond the ice-crusted banks, the swollen river roared with the thunderous rush of water, sweeping along within in its wake the broken chunks of river ice.

Legolas stood still, mesmerized by the sight before him. Never before had he seen such force being wielded by a river. By comparison, the river that ran outside his adar's stronghold was a mere trickle. He turned and looked down river and could see where the ice floes had jammed together in the narrow junction, channeling the torrential flow of water through a dangerously narrow gap. If the remaining constricted passageway were blocked further, then the river would surely overflow.

"It does not look good," Roitar had joined him at his side. "If they cannot widen the river, then the river will spill over its banks."

"What will they do?" Legolas asked.

Roitar shrugged. "I do not know, but they will have to do something."

Suddenly their attention was caught by a loud shout down the river where the other elves had gathered.

"Somebody fell into the river!" Roitar cried as he stepped precariously close to the ice-crusted bank. "I cannot see who it is. I hope it is not Adar."

"Roitar, step back!" Baragallon shouted as he came running forward.

Even as the warning was sounded, Roitar slipped and for a horrifying second, teetered precariously on the icy threshold. Before Baragallon could reach them, Legolas sprang forward to grab his friend and flung him bodily into Baragallon's reaching arms. The momentum of his own movement, however, threw Legolas off balance and from what seemed a long way off, he heard a loud cracking sound. Crying out in fear, he reached blindly for Baragallon's grasping hand but his desperate fingers met only air as he tumbled with the broken ledge of ice into the swirling water below.

The frigidity of the water slammed into his body like a physical blow and he gasped involuntarily, only to find his nostrils and mouth filled with the gushing water. Panic seized him and he again unwittingly gasped in more water. Calm down, he screamed at himself. Calm down or you will drown! His lungs were on fire and he kicked desperately in an effort to propel himself to the surface, to that saving gulp of air, but something was dragging him down. The cloak! It was weighing him down like a death anchor. He must remove it! The cold made it impossible to move, but he must! Somehow his fingers managed to loosen the clasp of the cloak and immediately it was swept away. Once again, he kicked with his leaden legs even as the force of the water tumbled him along in a pell-mell direction that robbed his body of any control.

His lungs were at the bursting point when he finally broke the surface of the raging river, gagging and gasping for the precious breath of air. Vaguely he heard a cry from somewhere before something slammed into his back with an exploding force. Numbly, he could feel himself sinking into the frigid water again and the entire world darkened around him. He did not feel the grasping hands that suddenly grabbed and held his limp form nor did he feel the powerful strokes of his rescuer propelling him back to the banks of the river where he was immediately pulled into his brother's trembling arms.

A loud shout from up river had drawn Tavaro from the frenzy of action that had erupted when one of the elves had slipped from an ice floe and tumbled into the swirling water. Even before he realized what he was doing, he was already running toward where that frantic shout had come from. Let it not be Legolas! His heart pounded in fear as his eyes caught sight of a dark-hair elfling alone on the riverbank, screaming in complete terror. Where were Legolas and Baragallon? His eyes darted about frantically. There! A dark head bobbed in the swirling water among the ice floes.

"Baragallon! Where is Legolas?" Tavaro shouted to the immersed warrior even though Baragallon could not possibly hear his shouts above the roar of the rushing river. Tavaro ran as close to the icy riverbank as he dared, his eyes frantically searching up and down the surging river. Then he suddenly caught sight of a golden head breaking the surface of the rushing water, directly in the path of large ice floe.

"Legolas! Look out behind you!" Tavaro shouted, knowing that his warning was already too late. With his heart in his throat, he watched as the jagged ice boulder slammed into his brother's unwitting back and the golden head disappeared once again into the frigid depth. Baragallon had also disappeared. For an endless second or two, Tavaro stood rooted to where he stood, staring blankly at the swirling water that had swallowed his young brother. Then his mind and body sprang to action. Legolas! He must find Legolas! Without another thought, he made to dive into the frigid water just as a hand reached out and yanked him back.

"No, Tavaro!" It was Herendil who was holding onto him in a death grip.

"Let me go! I have to find Legolas! Let me go!" Tavaro shouted, fighting to free himself from the other's arms.

"You cannot! You will only get yourself killed!"

"No! I have promised Adar! I have to save him!" In his half-crazed anguish, Tavaro was totally oblivious of the tears that now streamed down his face. "Legolas!"

"Tavaro, look! Baragallon has him! Over there!"

Tavaro ceased struggling only long enough to take in what his friend was saying before pulling himself free to race to where the struggling warrior was fighting his way to the icy bank. Stretching himself flat against the ice shelf, Tavaro reached out with his arms for the limp form of his brother. Vaguely he was aware of other arms reaching out to help.

With a half-strangled sob, Tavaro pulled the very still form of Legolas into his arms. Supporting hands grasped and pulled both of them back, away from the dangerous reach of ice and water.

"Legolas! Please awaken! Legolas!" Tavaro pleaded with the cold, unmoving body of his brother.

"Put him down, my lord!" Beside him, someone spoke urgently. Strong hands pried the still form from his arms. It was Aradun.

The warrior eased the unconscious youngling onto the ground and gently rolled him onto his side. Moving the young elf's arms so that they now positioned above his sodden head, Aradun began to thump the heel of his palm into Legolas' back with measured firmness. After several such blows, there was still no reaction from the unconscious elf.

Tavaro stared dumbly at his brother's colourless face and the blue-tinged lips while his heart screamed out in silent terror. Please, Legolas, please open your eyes! You cannot leave me like this! After what seemed like an eternity, there was suddenly a choking gasp, followed by the painful sound of gagging and vomiting.

"Legolas!" Suddenly coming to life again, Tavaro sprang forward and held his brother's shaking body as the young elf attempted to empty his stomach of the water that he had ingested. Tavaro rubbed his brother's back in soothing motion as Legolas continued to gasp and choke. "It is all right, Legolas. You are safe now. It is all right."

Still gasping and heaving, but exhausted beyond measure, Legolas slumped back into his brother's arms and began to shake with great convulsive shudders. "C-cc-coldd-d."

Somebody immediately brought forth a cloak and Tavaro quickly wrapped it around his brother's shaking body.

"My lord, we need to get him back to the cottage to get warm, and Baragallon as well," Aradun spoke quietly, though the underlying urgency was unmistakable.

"Baragallon - is he all right?" Tavaro at last looked around in search of the warrior who had saved his brother's life.

Aradun pressed a reassuring hand on his shoulder. "He is a little cold, but otherwise unharmed. Come, we should hurry."

Tavaro stood carefully, holding his brother firmly against his chest. "It is all right, Legolas. We will get you warm soon enough. You will be all right."

xxxxxxxx

Someone must have ridden ahead to warn Vanye of what had happened for she was waiting anxiously by the door when they at last arrived at the cottage.

"How is he?" she asked fearfully as she ran forward to meet them.

"I am f-fine, b-but c-cold," Legolas himself answered. He struggled from Tavaro's arms. "I c-can w-walk my-myself."

Tavaro ignored his protests and once more gathered him into his arms. "You will be quiet, bratling and let me tend to you. Vanye, is there hot water?"

"Yes, there is plenty. Take him to the room, Tavaro. The bath is set up there for him already. And Bargallon, you shall go to the bath chamber. The bath is ready there for you as well. Aradun, can you help to fetch more hot water to each room?" Vanye was now firmly in charge. She paused long enough to steal a look at her husband, and the silent but tearful Roitar in his arms.

"He is fine, Vanye," Herendil said quickly. "Frightened, but unharmed."

Vanye hugged them both, rather desperately. "Please look after him, Herendil. I must see to the tea that I am brewing for Legolas. I have already sent for the healer. She should be here shortly."

Once in their room, Tavaro quickly stripped Legolas of his sodden clothing and immersed his stilling shivering brother into the tub of warm water. A blazing brazier was set close by, adding to the much needed warmth. Aradun entered the room quietly with a another bucketful of steaming water.

"Lady Vanye says to add the water as needed, but that the bath water should not be hot," Aradun said. "Is there anything further that I can help you with?"

"No, I will tend to him. Thank you, Aradun, in more ways than I can say," Tavaro said gratefully. "And Baragallon? He is well?"

Aradun smiled. "He is enjoying his bath as we speak. He is well." The warrior then slipped quietly from the room.

Tavaro returned his attention to his brother. "Let me add some more hot water. You are still shivering. Can you feel your hands and feet?"

"Yes, they are fine, Tavaro."

Tavaro touched the mass of reddened skin on his brother's back, parts of which were already darkening into spectacular bruises.

"What are you doing, Tavaro? It hurts when you touch it," Legolas protested, pulling away from his brother's touch.

"I am trying to ensure that you have not broken anything."

"Well, stop touching it. It hurts. And I can take my own bath," Legolas said crossly.

"I am not leaving you, Legolas. Stop being a brat and let me tend to you," Tavaro said shortly himself.

Legolas glared at his brother and was about to say something that he would regret later when he saw the tears in Tavaro's eyes. It was then that he broke down. A great sob escaped from him as he reached out with his arms to his brother. Without a word, Tavaro enfolded his young brother into a tight embrace, mindless of the water.

"I thought -- I thought I would never see you again," Legolas sobbed brokenly as he began to shake once more. "I could n-not breathe … and it was so c-cold. I was so - so fr-frightened."

"I was frightened too," Tavaro admitted as tears coursed down his own face. "I thought I had lost you, bratling. Thank the Valar that you are safe!"

Loud gasping sobs continued to shake Legolas as he clung to his brother rather desperately.

"Shh, it is all right. I have you now. It is all right. You are safe," Tavaro whispered soothingly as he held the shaking child. "It is all right."

We will both be all right now, Tavaro thought as he tightened his arms around his young brother. We will both be all right.

TBC






<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List