Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Under the Druid Moon  by Tinuviel ylf maegden

Sam inclined his weary eyes toward the smoky sky. No relief there, no beauty. Ash and dust all around. Beneath him in shadowy pools lay the graceful star dusted forms of Elves, the sad, grim faces of men, and those of orcs...he didn't want to think about it. But what touched him the most were the Elves. It seemed a horrible crime to slay something so pure. It reminded him of the reckless hobbit children that would pull flowers out of the ground--root and all--carelessley, and without reason.

A horrid stench filled the air. Sam wondered if that was because of the mass grave. He had heard of land no farmer would plough because rotting bones lay beneath them--remnents of war, and all it was worth. And the glimmers arising from the pools shone dimley--like the candles that light a funeral procession--in his earthy brown eyes.

Suddenly, amidst the scenes of the frozen pandomonium of battle, he began to hum. The tune seemed far off, and sad as it was strong. He did not know where it came from. Then, he noticed his master was humming along with him, some paces behind. He waited for him. "What's that you're humming, Mr. Frodo?" asked Sam, for it had been the same tune he was humming. "I don't know..." said Frodo, with a far off, glazed look. "Perhaps Bilbo taught it to me in some dim time, and you as well," but right now, the thought of Bilbo was a fleeting image in the shadow. They continued on in silence, and then, without warning, began to gently hum again. The same song, all in perfect harmony. And neither could remember it. "Well, I call that queer indeed," thought Sam, "always the same song. And the mealody, but never the words."

And so they continued on into the shadow and dim flame, across the mass grave, never knowing that in a time dimly remembered, even by those who were there...like Lord Elrond...an army of soldiers--yong, some of them, too young to die, and others immortal and pure, who should not die--marched down the same plains as they, with the light of fire gleaming on their silver mail and helms, singing a song both sad and strong. A song of hope.

*Inspired by a favorite Civil War Ghost story





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List