Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Place for Gandalf  by Dreamflower

Author's note: Frodo is 20, Merry 7 (the equivalent of 13 and 4 1/2 to 5 in Man Years).

Highday, 9 Rethe S.R. 1389

Frodo looked with shining eyes at the letter from his cousin Bilbo. His favorite Baggins relation had written, asking him to put forward his visit to Hobbiton. He usually did not go until nearer the end of Rethe, for his annual spring visit. But this year, Uncle Bilbo wanted him as soon as possible.

“Uncle Saradoc!” he called for his older cousin, who had been his guardian among the Brandybucks since he was twelve. “Uncle Sara!”

“Yes, Frodo. I’m in here in the sitting room.” Frodo went in and found him there with his Aunt Esme and little cousin Merry, who had recently turned seven. In his exuberance he caught Merry up, and swung him high in the air, making the little one squeal with laughter.

“I see you read your letter from Bilbo,” his cousin said. “I had one, too. Seems Bilbo is pining for your company. Since we’ll be making our visit to Tookland in a few days, we’ll just drop you at Bag End along the way. I know Merry will not be happy to be separated from you any sooner than he must.” Saradoc tried to keep the misgivings out of his voice. His letter from Bilbo had contained a bit more information than the old hobbit had shared with Frodo. If Bilbo decided to go through with this, little Merry was going to be devastated. That was one thing he planned to take up with the old hobbit. There must be plenty of visits if he did this. It would not be fair to keep Frodo and Merry apart for long. No one knew better than he just how important they were to one another.

Saradoc left the lads playing with his wife, and slipped down to see his father in the Master’s study, taking Bilbo’s letter with him.

Rory read the letter through several times. “You’ve known this day would come for many years, son. Bilbo is the lad’s primary guardian, you are only the secondary. He was only persuaded to leave him here because the lad was so young and your mother and wife were able to convince him that the child still needed female guidance.”

“I know, Da, and for Frodo’s sake it may be for the best to get him away from the Brandywine. You know the troubles we had with him those first two years. And it’s never really gone away. I’m still frightened to death anytime I can’t find him. Only last week, Merry found him by the River again, ‘looking so awfully sad’. And he’s a tweenager now; it’s much harder to keep track of him.”

“You know, son, to be fair, we’re going to have to tell Bilbo. He’ll be furious we’ve kept it from him all these years.”

Saradoc frowned. Telling Bilbo would not be easy, but his father was right. If Frodo was living in Bag End, his guardian would need to know.

“I’m going to miss him. Esme’s going to miss him. Merry--” how little Merry would fare without his Frodo didn’t bear thinking of. “Fro” had been his first word, even before Mum and Da.

Rory nodded in sympathy. “I’ll miss him, too. But it’s what’s best for Frodo. And confess it--wouldn’t you like to see Bilbo put one over on the S.-B.s?”

Saradoc chuckled, and then laughed. “Imagine Lobelia’s face!”

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List