Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Weapons Against The Enemy  by Nancy Brooke

This story would not exist were it not for the inspiration, support and help of Anna.  This was all her idea.  Without her I never would have been really introduced to Glorfindel or spent this lovely time with him.  It was originally written for the "Open Scrolls" 'If they'd had a chat' (Keeping within canon (no AU), create a conversation, meeting or vignette between two characters whose meeting is never described by Tolkien but can be reasonably assumed) challenge.

In this story Glorfindel of Gondolin and Glorfindel of Rivendell are considered one and the same, returned from the Halls of Mandos or whatever; don’t make a fuss.

This is not my idiom, hobbits and elves.  Thanks must go to the awesome “Encyclopedia of Arda” to which I found myself referring every five minutes and from which I took a crash course in Glorfindel, Gondolin, Turgon and Tuor.

Notes on Elvish names and phrases:

Perianvuin:  (Sindarin) Perian = Hobbit; Muin = Aged (lenited to ‘vuin’); Glorfindel’s term of endearment for Bilbo.

Ellyn:  (Sindarin) Male elves

Elleth:  (Sindarin) Female Elves

Luinil:  as per this site (http://valarguild.org/varda/Tolkien/encyc/stars.html#Stars), “one of the bright new stars created for the Firstborn.”  Since the star had no other characteristics and I liked the name, I borrowed it for the purpose of this story.

Perian Ben-Goe:  (Sindarin) lit. Halfling without fear, i.e. brave hobbit.





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List