Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Gardener's Tale  by Elentari Greenwood

The wonderful evening ended at last; Elanor showed Sam to his room, and kissed his cheek as she bid him goodnight.

'I'm so very glad you came to see us, Dad,' she said, hugging him tightly. Sam returned the hug, saying,

'You're a dear girl, bless your heart; it's done me a world of good to see you again! And you've got a fine husband, and those lovely grandchildren of mine,' he said, grinning. He reached out, and touched her cheek, brushing back a few stray golden curls. 'Goodnight, my dear; sweet dreams, my beautiful Elanor.'

~

Tucked warmly beneath one of Elanor's cozy blankets, Sam stretched, and wiggled his toes, breathing a contented sigh. His eyelids were heavy, while his mind was still active with thoughts of the joyful evening spent with his daughter and her family. The room Sam occupied faced the back of the house; through the open window he could see the moon, bright and full, riding just above the tall row of uneven shadows that he knew were the Tower Hills. Though it lay hidden in the darkness, in his mind's eye Sam could see just where the Road ran on, winding around the hills towards the Havens. Eventually, Sam's lids closed, and he slept peacefully, without dreams.

~

What woke him in the deep watches of the night, Sam could not tell. The moon still washed all the land in a silvery light, though it could no longer be seen from his window. He listened: there were no sounds save for the normal nightly noises, yet something made Sam sit up in bed, suddenly vigilant. After a time, he began to relax back against the pillows, then it came again. This time, Sam heard a voice calling, clear but soft:

'Master Samwise! Master Samwise! Awake, little master! Come forth, for you are wanted!' Sam pushed aside the covers and got out of bed, padding on silent feet towards the window. Peering out, Sam had a clear view to the stables. He could make out a strange figure, which stood, shimmering like the moonlight, midway across the lawn. It spied Sam in the window, and raised a hand in greeting:

'Hail, Elf-friend!' said a melodious voice; as the figure approached the window, Sam could see it was clearly an Elf! His while robes were shining, as with captured starlight. To Sam's further astonishment, the Elf bowed low before him, hand upon his breast, saying:

'Well met, I say again! I am Rumil, of Lothlorien, master; it is a great honor to meet you again.' Sam stood open-mouthed for many moments, before he managed to collect himself.

'Samwise Gamgee, at your service, and your family's,' he managed to stutter, placing his hand also upon his breast and bowing rather abruptly. 'You have certainly startled me, and no mistake, sir Elf!' Sam exclaimed. 'If I may be so bold, what brings you into these parts, and why are you looking for me, of all folk?' While carrying on this conversation, another part of Sam's mind stood back and observed the absurdity of the situation; speaking to an Elf, in the middle of the night, in the Shire, through his bedroom window! Whoever could have imagined such a thing! But the Elf, called Rumil, replied:

'I have been sent to find you, master, and it was rumoured that you were here,' Rumil said. His head spinning, Sam exclaimed,

'You say I am wanted; wanted by who, if I may ask?' Sam was beginning to wonder if this wasn't some sort of joke, this Elf being here, and acting so defferential to him.

'By my Lord,' Rumil said simply; 'will you not come?' Sam couldn't believe his ears, but his curiosity would not be ignored.

'Half a moment, if you please, and I will come,' Sam answered. Rumil bowed again.

'I shall wait, master,' he said, and sat down gracefully upon the moon-shadowed grass. Trembling with excitement, Sam fumbled into his clothes and, with a regretful glance towards his warm, cozy bed, climbed quietly out of the low window.

Rumil rose lightly to his feet as Sam approached, bowing low once more. Sam returned the honor, placing his hand upon his breast, and bowing his curly head.

'Well, I guess you had better lead me to your lord,' said Sam matter-of-factly.

'May I suggest you take your pony, master?' said the Elf politely. 'It is a fair distance we will go.' Sam began to feel nervous, and asked,

'Where exactly are we going?' Rumil lifted a long, slender arm.

'Yonder,' he said, pointing to the Road running on beyond the Hills. Silently, Sam got his pony ready, and led him out into the yard. Climbing into the saddle, they moved off; Sam riding astride the pony, and the Elf walking easily alongside. If Sam had thought to glance once more towards the silent, sleeping house, he might have seen, in another window, a face peering out past the curtains, the moonlight frosting with silver the golden curls which framed it.

Sam had no real notion of how far they had come; he rode along as if in a dream while the Road wound away behind them. At last the Elf signaled a halt; gently taking hold of the reins, Rumil guided Sam's pony into a copse of trees. Sam could see several Elves, in form and raiment like unto Rumil. They stood silently in a group beside a tall, white horse; tall also, and imposing, was the Elf Lord who sat astride it: white were his robes, and he wore a circlet of silver upon his brow. Sam sat unmoving, in silent wonder, as the Lord Celeborn spoke to him.

'Greetings, Ringbearer,' said the Lord of Lothlorien, to Sam's utter astonishment. Then the other Elves did as Rumil had, placing hands upon breasts and bowing low in greeting. 'Long are the years that have passed for thee, unto this age of the world,' Celeborn continued. 'Yet, to me, they seem as but the blinking of an eye. Now is the time come, when thy reward for selfless deeds may also be redeemed.' Seeing Sam's look of confusion, Celeborn's stern features softened, and almost it seemed as if he smiled.

'Master Celeborn, your Lordship, I am honored that you've come all this way just to visit me,' stammered Samwise nervously. 'But I don't need no rewards, if you please, sir. All I've ever wanted was to be able to look after my own - my master, and then my family - and I've already been and done all those things, and been as happier than most, I'd dare say,' Sam finishd abruptly, then ducked his head, cheeks flushed, for he felt sure he'd been forward, and said far too much. But Celeborn looked kindly upon him, and asked, 'Will you ride with me? It would please me,' he added. Sam could not refuse, and silently nodded his head. Celeborn turned his horse, and Sam's pony stepped obediently behind, seeming to need no direction. The other Elves walked beside the two riders in silence, as they left the trees and followed the Road once more, as it skirted the lower end of the hills and wound about the other side. Here, the land dipped, and the travelers came down from the hills. There was a flash of silvery light, and Sam glimpsed the moonlight dancing upon the water afar off. At that moment, the Elves accompanying them burst into song, and the beauty of it filled Sam's heart, as full as the unshed tears which brimmed in his eyes.

~

At last the party reached the place where the Road ran down to its ending, upon the very shores of middle earth. As they approached the quayside, Sam, in awe and wonder, beheld a white ship, fashioned after a great swan, in the manner of the Elves. Beside the ship, upon the dock stood, tall & venerable, the Keeper of the Grey Havens, Cirdan the Shipwright, whom Sam at once recalled from that sad day of parting so long ago. The Elf Lord had not changed; and now he raised his arm and hailed them, the palm of his hand held out in greeting.

The Elves halted beside the dock, and one again took hold of Sam's pony. Sam was bewildered beyond all imagining, and more than a little distraught: why had they thought to bring him here, a place which held such painful memories for him? Sam's weary features began to crumple, but Rumil left Celeborn's side, and stood looking up at him with kindness.

'Do not grieve for past sorrows, master Samwise,' he said gently. 'Look to the future, for therein lies comfort and peace, and your heart's desire.' Sam sniffed disconsolately.

'Then let me go on home to my Elanor's, master Elf, for I surely won't find any peace in this place. Er, begging your pardon, your Lordships,' Sam muttered, unable to meet Celeborn's gaze. Then Cirdan approached, and spoke:

'And if Cirdan has need of your assistance, to fulfill his last commission?' Sam looked at him in surprise, torn between his love for the Elves, and his doubt and unhappiness. At last he sighed;

'I am at your service, sir,' Sam replied, and bowed from astride his pony. 'If it's not too forward of me to ask, what is your job of work, in a manner of speaking, and how could I be of help to the likes of your Lordship?' The Elves looked then to Celeborn, who rode forward to Sam's side.

'Cirdan needs you, Samwise of the Shire, to fulfill his final commission upon these shores, for it has been laid upon him to wait for the last of the Ringbearers, and to bear that one across the Sundering Seas. You are the last, and you are wanted,' Celeborn repeated to Sam; 'will you go?' Half of Sam's mind was panic-stricken at the thought of going out upon the wide ocean, worse by far than any mere river had been; the other half went racing back to all his children, his home, the familiar pathways of the Shire. Sam sat upon his pony, his mind in turmoil. He looked very unhappy. The Elves were silent, eyes downcast; the decision rested with Sam alone, and they afforded him what privacy they could - all except Celeborn, who gazed steadily upon Sam. All at once, a thought came, unbidden, to Sam's mind, and his heart leapt at the possibility. Looking up at Celeborn, then at Cirdan, Sam asked quietly,

' Do you mean to say, this is my time? At last?' Cirdan smiled, and nodded. Celeborn replied,

'If you desire it.' Sam hesitated, then squared his shoulders. He could sense that, once again, he was in the midst of something much bigger than himself. With quiet dignity he said,

'If you say you've been waiting for me, sir, then I will go.'

~

From the time Sam made his decision, things began to seem surreal to him. Deferentially, the Elves helped him down from his pony; when Sam expressed concern over the pony's well-being, Rumil reassured him;

'I will see him safely home,' he promised. Then Celeborn moved his mount in close to Sam, and, reaching down, laid his hand upon Sam's curls. 'Namarie, Ringbearer; may you live in blessedness all your days.' 'But,' Sam blurted out, looking up, ' I thought you were coming with me! Aren't you going to see your Lady again?' Then Sam blushed furiously, as he beheld the sorrow in Celeborn's eyes, for a moment laid bare and unmasked.

'It is not my fate; I will remain, to govern the last of my people.' Then the Elves who were to take ship surrounded Sam and together they passed into the ship. Once aboard, Sam looked ashore and beheld Cirdan, who made a solemn bow to Celeborn, then turned and, taking up the mooring rope, came also aboard, the last of all. Then among the Elves there began great rejoicing and song, but upon the shore, Sam saw Celeborn turn his horse, and he looked no more upon the departing ship. With Rumil beside him, leading Sam's pony, they moved away upon the Road, and receeded into the distance, as the ship set sail and began to move away from the shore.

~

When morning came, Elanor discovered her father had not returned; when she went to the stable, the pony was there, contentedly munching hay in his stall. When her husband woke, he found Elanor sitting, quiet and dry-eyed, in the parlor, the book clutched tightly to her bosom.

'What's the matter? What's happened, my dear?' he asked, with puzzlement plain on his face.

'Dad's gone off, in the night,' she told him. 'I saw him take the pony, and ride away. The pony's back this morning, but he's not.'

'Gone off in the night? But why would he? He's likely to be lying hurt somewhere,' exclaimed her husband.

'No, he's not; Dad's gone off with the Elves,' said Elanor, smiling sadly. 'I think they've taken him to see Mr. Frodo.' Holding the book before her, she looked long upon it, and said, 'Good luck, Papa,' and kissed the worn red cover softly.

~

How long their ship sailed upon the water, Sam couldn't tell. It all seemed beyond his mind's grasp, somehow. Surprisingly, his fears had soon receeded, and he lay at times upon his hammock, or stood looking out at the endless ripples on the water, with a sense of calm anticipation. The Elves who were his shipmates were always polite and attentive when he was present among them, bringing him food or drink, telling him stories or singing songs, and listening to Sam, as he told them of his simple life in the Shire.

There came a day of cooling rain, and Sam stood under a white canopy, watching the rain fall like a soft, thick mist. Some time later, an tall, blonde Elf came to him bearing a bundle, and saying,

'Here, master, is new clothing, for your comfort.' Sam thanked him politely, and went to change, donning the hooded robe of deep forest green, which reached to his feet, and clasped a beautiful belt of finely wrought silver leaves about his waist.

'Well,' he thought shyly, 'this don't seem no fit gear for the likes of me.' But he didn't want to appear rude and ungrateful, so he left it on. When he went back out to the others, it seemed an air of exhilaration pervaded the others on board; even Cirdan stood in the prow, peering steadfastly into the mist. Then it seemed to Sam that his eyes were dazzled, for as the mist parted, drops of moisture clinging to his lashes caught the light of a new sun, as she rose above a vast, green land upon the horizon. Dashing the drops away with the back of his hand, he looked again upon that which lie before them. Then, as if for the first time, Sam perceived that all the stories he had heard were true; indeed, he, himself, was in one, and he thought,

'Now get ahold of yourself, Sam; don't go getting your hopes too high,' but he felt a song rising in his heart, and he sang it aloud; a song about the white ships sailing home, that he had heard from Bilbo, long ago.

~

Nearer now, Sam could see tall figures waiting upon the shore; and he heard beautiful voices raised in song, to welcome them. His eyes scanned the shore, but there was no sign of the much shorter figure whom he sought.

When the ship docked, the travelers were greeted by the host of Elves, their faces beaming with welcoming smiles. Two met Sam as he came ashore, bowing respectfully to him. Reaching out, they each took hold of Sam's hands, one upon either side, and led him towards a distant pavillion, crowned with a white canopy above. Once there, they stopped and motioned Sam forward. Beneath the canopy three figures sat, raised upon a dais, and their eyes were upon him as he approached. Sam felt as though his legs would give out, for there was Galadriel, whom he had never thought to lay eyes upon again; and if he had imagined her beautiful in Lothlorien, it was as nothing compared to her appearance in this place. Her face was aglow, her white raiment shining with ethereal radiance. There also was the Lord Elrond, and another whom Sam rejoiced to see. Sam bowed low, finding nothing to say. Then the Lady spoke:

'Greetings, Ringbearer; I perceive your life has been full and with great blessings; now, upon the shores of the Blessed Realm, you shall have your ultimate reward. May your days be filled with peace and joy in this place. The other rose, and came to stand before him; then, kneeling, Gandalf embraced Sam tightly.

'Gandalf,' Sam managed to utter, his voice choked with emotion. Then Gandalf stood, and gripped Sam by the shoulders; he, too, was dressed all in white, and he smiled upon Sam fondly.

'And now, my dear Samwise, you shall be made whole.' And bowing to Galadriel and to Elrond, Gandalf led Sam with his arm about Sam's shoulders. As they walked upon the grass, Sam found his tongue, and asked that which was foremost in his mind. Answering the second question first, Gandalf replied,

'Bilbo has passed peacefuly into the eternal realm; he lived happily here for all of his time.' They had reached a garden, it's many paths winding away among the clouds of bright flowers. Sam looked around him, unable to help admiring the most beautiful gardens he'd ever seen. At the end of one path stood an arbor, and here, Gandalf paused, urging Sam forward.

'He has been waiting for you,' said Gandalf, and left Sam standing there. Sam's steps were hesitant as he approached the arbor, and there, his heart leapt in his chest, and he thought it might burst with joy. He realized he had been afraid to hope. And if the others had shone with a white light, Sam perceived Frodo, seated within the arbor, as filled with a clear, pure light, almost as if one could see through him. Yet very real and solid he seemed to Sam, and he smiled, and held out his arms.

'Sam; so you have come to see me at last,' said Frodo. Sam took two steps, and enveloped Frodo in a gentle embrace.

'Mister Frodo, as I live and breath,' whispered Sam, and he burst into happy tears.

'Welcome home, Sam,' said Frodo. And that was the truth, for Sam's heart was, indeed, home at last. And the hours stood still, and time ceased to matter. As the two walked among the gardens or along the shore, Sam told Frodo of all that had passed in the time they had been apart. Or they could be seen in later times, seated upon the verdant hillsides, rejoicing in each other's company. And all who looked upon them smiled fondly and were glad, yet bowed with great respect whenever they passed. But Gandalf's joy was as boundless as the seas as he beheld them, together at last.

~ The End ~





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List